Is There a Way to Deregister a Drone?

I don't believe there is a maximum number of "drones" you may have and fly recreationally. It's your unique number, the drones are just along for the ride.
Correct, stand to be corrected again - I think in the draft NPRM the feds wanted to impose 5 aircraft per number, that seems to have gone by the wayside.

On the recreational side, you only register once - it's not tied to a physical drone. It's really more of "user" registration. You use the same reg # on all drones
And just to tweak once more for accuracy, it Is not a "user" register, it is for "owner." Anyone can be the user. Owner/registrant need not even live in your state.

I recently found that there are many sites that claim to be the official FAA ONLINE registration site are scams. Be sure the sight is "sUAS Registration". Those ending with ".com" are most likely scams. The scam sight issued me the card below along with a bogus FAA registration number. In this case, I couldn't go back online to deregister my old drone. When I called the FAA, they said since the old drone was not properly registered, it did not need to be unregistered. They did say to be sure you are on the sight above. The cost should only be $5.00. The bogus sight offered a $15.00 option to have labels sent. BEWARE!
IMG_1373.jpg

I don't believe there is a maximum number of "drones" you may have and fly recreationally. It's your unique number, the drones are just along for the ride.

The FAA number is paired with a drone's serial number. If you have multiple drones, you need to register each.

Question: For commercial operation registration, as "per drone" indicating need for serial number of each, what is the procedure in the (apparently not uncommon) event that a warranty repair results in a whole different bird being sent back from DJI?

The FAA number is paired with a drone's serial number. If you have multiple drones, you need to register each.

Question: For commercial operation registration, as "per drone" indicating need for serial number of each, what is the procedure in the (apparently not uncommon) event that a warranty repair results in a whole different bird being sent back from DJI?

From my experience, I would remove the FAA registration number from your drone before shipping it for repairs. Then if you drone is successfully repaired and returned to you, you can re-attach the tag. If the drone is not repairable, you can go on the FAA registration site and dis-associate the tag with your serial number before throwing away the tag that is no longer valid.

So I would have to pay to make new registration every time DJI sends a different bird?

From my experience, I would remove the FAA registration number from your drone before shipping it for repairs. Then if you drone is successfully repaired and returned to you, you can re-attach the tag. If the drone is not repairable, you can go on the FAA registration site and dis-associate the tag with your serial number before throwing away the tag that is no longer valid.

So I would have to pay to make new registration every time DJI sends a different bird?

That is the way I understand it. If you get a new drone from DJI (new or rebuilt replacement) you need to register the serial number. The FAA is very helpful, so you could ask them directly. My understanding is that when you use the online registration system, one of the key inputs is your drone's serial number.

Thank you!

That is the way I understand it. If you get a new drone from DJI (new or rebuilt replacement) you need to register the serial number. The FAA is very helpful, so you could ask them directly. My understanding is that when you use the online registration system, one of the key inputs is your drone's serial number.

To clarify, that statement is only for commercial registered craft.

For recreational registration the serial number, quantity, make/model of the craft is NEVER requested. Only name/address/phone/email/ and payment.

I have a question about registration also. My drone is registered as recreational at the moment. Can I re-register that same drone for commercial since I have passed the part 107?

ICan I re-register that same drone for commercial since I have passed the part 107?
Yes -- since your drone was never registered for commercial use. When registering as a hobbyist, you're only registering yourself since the FAA does not collect information about your aircraft.

I'm about to sell my drone after acquiring the Mavic but wanted to know if I have to remove my account or is there anything I should do ? I don't want the next guy telling me it's locked to my account.

I'm about to sell my drone after acquiring the Mavic but wanted to know if I have to remove my account or is there anything I should do ? I don't want the next guy telling me it's locked to my account.
The next guy needs to install DJI GO, create a DJI account (if never created), and log into the DJI account if prompted in DJI GO. There is nothing special for you to do on your end.

Reactions: sparky1111

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka