Is There a Way to Deregister a Drone?

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell a couple of my drones. Each one has its own FAA registration number (commercial). Since the serial number is already registered to me, will the buyer have trouble registering the drone? Do I have to let the FAA know that I no longer own it?

Reactions: dgd3
Yes you do. On the same site you registered it you can inactivate it.

Mine are registered commercial, I'm assuming it's the same on the recreation side.

Go to the page where your drone(s) are shown. Click on the 3 dots (shown) this will prompt you to the page to de-register. (see pic)

Attachments

• dereg.jpg
    dereg.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 857
Reactions: smills
Mine are registered commercial, I'm assuming it's the same on the recreation side.

Go to the page where your drone(s) are shown. Click on the 3 dots (shown) this will prompt you to the page to de-register. (see pic)

Thank you so much. This is the info that I was Looking for.

I'm fairly certain that recreational FAA registration is a one time only for the pilot only, not for the pilot's drone.

Its not one time there is an expiration date after you need to pay again and i'm sure they will jack up the price each cycle.

I'm looking to sell a couple of my drones. Each one has its own FAA registration number (commercial). Since the serial number is already registered to me, will the buyer have trouble registering the drone? Do I have to let the FAA know that I no longer own it?

Take the FAA number off.

When I registered (again, recreationallly), I didn't have to enter any drone info. Just my personal info.
And one registration would cover as many drones as I own.
You should have been prompted to a downloadable paper registration certificate as well as a number that needed to be placed on your drone. Fly for Fun

comm_id_card_front_back_1200px_3_1024x1024.jpg

You should have been prompted to a downloadable paper registration certificate as well as a number that needed to be placed on your drone. Fly for Fun

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

2. What is the difference between registering a UAS flown for fun vs. UAS flown for work or business?

[...] Recreational registrants only need to provide their name, address, and email address. The $5 registration fee covers all recreational UAS owned by the registrant. [...]

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

2. What is the difference between registering a UAS flown for fun vs. UAS flown for work or business?

[...] Recreational registrants only need to provide their name, address, and email address. The $5 registration fee covers all recreational UAS owned by the registrant. [...]

You still should have received a registration number that needs to be put on the drone.

"Fly for Fun

You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:
Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
Label your UAS with your registration number
Read and understand all safety guidelines"

Fly for Fun

From the registration website, after selecting hobby/fun...

When you register, you will receive a unique registration number that applies to any and all unmanned aircraft you own for 3 years. After 3 years, you must re-register

I'm fairly certain that recreational FAA registration is a one time only for the pilot only, not for the pilot's drone.

Its not one time there is an expiration date after you need to pay again and i'm sure they will jack up the price each cycle.
You are correct. Thanks for adding that. I didn't mean one time for life, I meant one time as in no need if you own more than one drone.

So as I stated earlier, as a recreational user, my drone(s) are not registered with the FAA. I am registered, and my registration is used for as many drones as I own.
You are correct and I stand corrected - The Feds will not know if you own one or the maximum amount of drones allowed per recreational registration.

You are correct and I stand corrected - The Feds will not know if you own one or the maximum amount of drones allowed per recreational registration.
I don't believe there is a maximum number of "drones" you may have and fly recreationally. It's your unique number, the drones are just along for the ride.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31