Improved GPS reception?

Right, spend more money than I already have for a totally different unit and let this one sit on a shelf and collect dust. No thanks, that's not the way this is supposed to work. How about sending those who purchased the affected P2V+ units with the necessary equipment/materials to fix it correctly.

I think we've seen in the auto industry and airbags what happens when faulty products are shipped and not supported.

I just want the GPS to work as it is advertised on their site!

Couchie said:
Right, spend more money than I already have for a totally different unit and let this one sit on a shelf and collect dust.
You nailed it!

And, this is why this dead simple mod exists...

Couchie said:

Just do the mod.
Dead simple steps:
  • Open the Phantom
    Take a sheet of aluminum foil and fold it over until you have @ 60 layers (one fold is 2 layers, then 4, 8,16,32, 64)
    Cut to fit over the existing shield on the top of the shell.
    Cover foil in duct tape. Then cut duct tape to leave a 5mm margin overhanging the foil.
    Press into place.
    Enjoy flying without worrying about losing GPS.

Here's the result of doing the foil mod
i-jCHz6CP-L.jpg

I've even seen 16 a few times.
It's quick, it's cheap and it works.

15?!? Wholly crap! I NEVER have that many available to me according to the GPS Plan app!

Speaking of GPS and satellites, on the GPS Plan app it lists GPS and GLONASS. I know GLONASS are Russian GPS satellites. Are our craft able to use these satellites for navigation?

Back on topic, I'm going to be working on this mod this evening. I just flew over the city's Christmas Parade to capture my children in their respective bands and lost signal several times! Gotta get that fixed. Just glad I'm getting more comfortable flying without the assistance of the GPS!

Thanks,
Couchie

Perhaps they have put some new sats up recently - 12 used to be the max until a couple of months ago.
I usually don't get more than 12 on the ground.

Phantoms are only working with the US sats and not Glonass.
Rather than the GPS Plan app, try using one of the real live GPS apps to see what sats are visible from your site.
GPS Status for Android is excellent and there will be equivalent apps for Apple.

Can anyone please make this topic for people like me who hasn't read 15+ pages a bit more convenient? What is the recommended method? Copper shielding or aluminium foil? Where exactly and how should it be applied? Just on the cable or the entire GPS chip? Any videos besides the one in the first post? What I find confusing is that everyone still seems to be getting different results and there is no common method...

ciguli said:
Can anyone please make this topic for people like me who hasn't read 15+ pages a bit more convenient? What is the recommended method? Copper shielding or aluminium foil? Where exactly and how should it be applied? Just on the cable or the entire GPS chip? Any videos besides the one in the first post? What I find confusing is that everyone still seems to be getting different results and there is no common method...

My recommendations:

Don't be lazy and read the 15+ pages. It's very informative and might make your flying more enjoyable.

Follow the video and tuck the gps cable under the existing shield. This will improve by 1 or 2 more sats.
To ensure that there are no more interference and further improve GPS reception, use common kitchen foil and cover up to the notch at the arms. Use the reflective side of foil to "bounce" back the interference away from the GPS. Then use non-conductive tape like packing tape on top of the foil to prevent it from shorting out the phantom. Make sure you don't cover the vents in the arms. Before putting the screws back on, do a dry fit and attach the gps cable and check outside to test if the GPS are picking up.

Why different results?
The foil mod is just blocking the electromagnetic interference from the camera/gimbal/wifi/module. I think some devices "leak" more than others. I have no proof, but I think its the camera transmitting high data rates to the SD card that is the culprit. It cannot be the wifi or gimbal as these whilst on do not cause drop in sats.

And use a razor/exacto knife to slit the stickers on the arm.

AsiaFlyer said:
I need to do my foil mod again, 1st attempt didn't make any difference, made it worse if anything.

How many layers of foil should I use? I have the 3M self adhesive aluminium tape.

Wrap the GPS cable also and make sure to insulate it. You can use as many layers as you want. I only used one layer of copper and found the most improvement by upgrading my GPS antenna mounted on the GPS receiver. 10 satellites is now not uncommon for me when before I would lose GPS lock in those same areas.

burlbark said:
Wrap the GPS cable also and make sure to insulate it. You can use as many layers as you want. I only used one layer of copper and found the most improvement by upgrading my GPS antenna mounted on the GPS receiver. 10 satellites is now not uncommon for me when before I would lose GPS lock in those same areas.

How did you upgrade your GPS antenna?

I am not having any satellite connectivity issues which makes me think whether I should bother with this foil mod. Don't fix if it ain't broke as some say... But at the same time, modding my Phantom makes me happy :)

AsiaFlyer said:
I need to do my foil mod again, 1st attempt didn't make any difference, made it worse if anything.
See this thread where CapnBob explains how to properly install the foil:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30567#p282778

Also, make sure you use foil that has conductive adhesive. Like this 3M copper foil.

ciguli said:
burlbark said:

How did you upgrade your GPS antenna?

I am not having any satellite connectivity issues which makes me think whether I should bother with this foil mod. Don't fix if it ain't broke as some say... But at the same time, modding my Phantom makes me happy :)

This is how I did it and what I used. Its a very good mod, but be careful if you attempt it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29100

DrJoe said:
Couchie said:

Just do the mod.
Dead simple steps:
  • Open the Phantom
    Take a sheet of aluminum foil and fold it over until you have @ 60 layers (one fold is 2 layers, then 4, 8,16,32, 64)
    Cut to fit over the existing shield on the top of the shell.
    Cover foil in duct tape. Then cut duct tape to leave a 5mm margin overhanging the foil.
    Press into place.
    Enjoy flying without worrying about losing GPS.

Seriously? 60 layers of aluminum foil? I only have 1 layer. Actually I got 1 layer of aluminum duct tape and 1 layer of Buzz Kill copper tape EMI shielding. I think 60 layers maybe too thick right?

yawnalot29 said:
Seriously? 60 layers of aluminum foil? I only have 1 layer. Actually I got 1 layer of aluminum duct tape and 1 layer of Buzz Kill copper tape EMI shielding. I think 60 layers maybe too thick right?

Maybe I folded it over five times and its just 32 layers. Kitchen aluminum foil is very thin, and my wife buys the cheap stuff (so I can buy more Phantom stuff). LOL- don't believe that for a second!

Probably going to buy the copper foil tape... but if one more thing arrives at my house that isn't a Christmas present for someone, I'm dead. In the last week, Flytrex 3G from Isreal, Stage 2 from FPVLR.com have shown up, and a new WiFi unit is on the way.

My wife loved the post mark from Isreal for the Flytrex... it led to a lot of questions.

DrJoe said:
yawnalot29 said:

Maybe I folded it over five times and its just 32 layers. Kitchen aluminum foil is very thin, and my wife buys the cheap stuff (so I can buy more Phantom stuff). LOL- don't believe that for a second!

Probably going to buy the copper foil tape... but if one more thing arrives at my house that isn't a Christmas present for someone, I'm dead. In the last week, Flytrex 3G from Isreal, Stage 2 from FPVLR.com have shown up, and a new WiFi unit is on the way.

My wife loved the post mark from Isreal for the Flytrex... it led to a lot of questions.

See, now you got me thinking if I should make my more layers.

Good thread.

I just took the shell off of my P2V+ V3 (first time I've opend either of my Phantoms before). I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the gps cable is already behind the shield on top.

I put it back together again (after taking some random snaps of the inside).

I've only flown it a couple of times and get good gps signal. I'm wondering if it'd be worth applying the shield mod discussed in this thread or if it's more applicable for those who are having difficulty with signal or are in trees, etc?

Not convinced if it will improve anything for me or not.

Pmcdn said:
I just took the shell off of my P2V+ V3 (first time I've opend either of my Phantoms before). I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the gps cable is already behind the shield on top.

Hmm I was just thinking of doing the same with my v3. But you' ex saved me the time. Has anyone done any of these mods with a v3? Does it help at all?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor