Improved GPS reception?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Just came across this and it seems like a simple mod.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31s6NDFUlA[/youtube]

I've done only the normal aluminum foil part.

On ground level, it doesn't seem to help getting more Sat reception, but I do acquire Sat very fast. However, once up in air (say 100 feet), I can now see 11 or 12 Sat compare to 7 or 8 that I saw before in air.

Where can u get the stuff they used ? Like the idea that it's not conductive on one side.

Mori55 said:
Where can u get the stuff they used ? Like the idea that it's not conductive on one side.

Just cut a piece of paper that's slightly bigger and tape it down on all 4 corner. Works great. I just took it apart to fold the wire like in the video.

I am in Southern California, in my backyard with limited view of sky, I can get 4 sat almost as soon as I connect to wifi. Takes about 2.5 minutes to get 6 Satellite. If I fly up about 100 feet, I can get up to 11 or 12 sat easily.

Prior adding the foil, I was getting maybe 8 or 9 sat tops when up 300 feet in air.

I have a roll of aluminum foil tape for duct work. Sticky on one side. I should be able to use this ? I put paper on the other side.

I was thinking of using the same thing. Instead of paper I was going to put a layer of Mylar (packing) tape over the exposed aluminum. I'll let you all know how it goes.

This is definitely worth doing. BTW I used this copper tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KJ ... UTF8&psc=1

In my back yard, which is a tunnel of oak trees with only about 30% sky visible, I was barley getting 6 satellites back in April when the Phantom arrived and there were no leaves on the trees. I stopped trying a month ago when the max I could get was 4-5. I knew this would be a good test. Low and behold I now get 7 satellites within 90 secs of start up. Let the games begin!

I just completed my mod this morning, did a before and after test. Before on startup after one minute I was connected to 8 seats, once in flight any significant rotation dropped me down to 5-7, once I masked the gps antennae with aluminum duct work tape and Mylar on top I am locking to 9 sats immediately and the lock is constant. Not sure if using copper would help more or not, but I definitely gained more confidence to fly more than 700ft away from me. Now to upgrade my pilot side antennae.

Did this same mod yesterday with AL foil tape, covered with Scotch packing tape. Prior to the mod, I would rarely get more than 4-5 sats sitting on my workbench, and it would take several minutes to get those. After mod, I had 7-8 sats as soon as the wifi connected! Thank you Dronexperts!

I am a self-admitted beginner. If I am understanding this correctly this shields the GPS that is housed in the top half of the drone from the remaining other electronics in the lower half of the unit? Also by placing the wire under the factory shielding to the rear allows the entire cable to be under the shielding rather than its factory position?

Yes that's correct. :D

I am going to do this, just for the heck of it. Can't hurt anything and if it will prevent the intermittent loss of satellites it will be worth it. Thanks so much for posting it.

I think this mod is worth doing, the question noes is, what material works best? Copper tape or aluminum? The factory shield that is in place has copper foil. Nevertheless, with my aluminum mod I had 13 sats from the ground up to 1100ft. Never had that before.

I found the 3M adhesive Aluminum sheets like were used in the video very inexpensively. So I will be using that and the Mylar tape over the top of it to prevent any possible short circuit or conduction issues. What I like about it is that its not a permanent mod and could be easily removed prior to sending to DJI for needed repairs.

srandall25 said:
haha... in the process of looking for tape.. I found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-B-Gone- ... /202347479

Bird deterrent Flash tape... I've been having a huge problem with birds lately... I wonder if putting this on the outside of the phantom in just a couple of spots would make any difference....

This is what I found to use as the shield inside the top shell to shield the GPS Antenna. As far as Bird deterrent I would make certain to not put any on top of the aircraft as this may cause a reduction in GPS signal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILHOUETTE-Prin ... 3ccaa41ac6

The 3m sheets where different. They have the foil with a backing on it. You don't have to cover it with tape. I couldn't find it.
Well , maybe that is it ? It's hard to tell if it's the same stuff ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl