I hate DJI. What other brand i can change to?

Lightbridge range already is perfectly fine for me, but no amount of additions is going to solve the latency issue, or the way it handles low signal. Analog FPV is always going to be superior than LB in that regard.

Are you saying you experience a latency issue with light bridge? Is it all the time, only during poor signal, poor resources in tablet, or interference encountered from somewhere else?

Always. But to me, a FPV mini quad racing pilot, the stated minimum of 220ms is an issue. Heck, the 120ms I got using a mobius camera or some Sony FPV camera's was annoying to me. The 500+ ms Im typically getting on my phantom 3A, more so. The additional delay in yaw caused by the gimbal, downright frustrating.

The premium model was on sale on Amazon for $674. It's ironic, because the x star at that time actually cost more than the premium model at $699. But, the premium model is back up to $899, as all of the Lightning deal ones sold out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok at 670. I would have bought one. At 900 nah!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just watched some of my video's, and Im guessing my phantom yaw speed is around 75 degree per second? Half a second delay means my heading will be off by nearly 45 degree compared to what I intended. Even at the stated minimum and ignoring the gimbal, I would be off by nearly 20 degree which is enough to ruin an action shot or hit a tree when doing proximity flying.

Hey guys

I am very tired of this product, they replaced my faulty drone, with a new faulty drone. They want me to send it back to them, which costs me 150$ shipping fee+ taxes everytime i do that. i am not going to do it again, because once i did it they sent me a faulty drone again. pretending its a new one.

What my plans are is to sell this drone by pieces(gimbal, batteries, ESC and etc) - and move to some other brand.
Which is more reliable as with their drones, as with there updates for it.
What would you recommend?

what other drone has RTH option and stuff like that?
My ethos is I buy DJI knowing full well I'll have to support myself. Unfortunate but a me headaches

Always. But to me, a FPV mini quad racing pilot, the stated minimum of 220ms is an issue. Heck, the 120ms I got using a mobius camera or some Sony FPV camera's was annoying to me. The 500+ ms Im typically getting on my phantom 3A, more so. The additional delay in yaw caused by the gimbal, downright frustrating.

I have had numerous rates of latency while beta testing dji products or software. However, the vast majority of the latency issues took place with a tablet I used before the two I use now. And depending on the product, and because I'm one of only a few that has beta tested with both ios and android on the same firmware versions, I can clearly see that the ios is the preferred OS for our aircraft. And with the android it's as though the firmware is written based on devices the consist of X-Y-and Z in them. And all others are on the, you get what you got set of principles. If your android has 2 GB or RAM there will be no issues. Anything under that, you may need to do some tweaking.

I don't feel like there is very much latency while using either the nvidia k1 shield or ipad mini2 with my P3P.

Hey guys

I am very tired of this product, they replaced my faulty drone, with a new faulty drone. They want me to send it back to them, which costs me 150$ shipping fee+ taxes everytime i do that. i am not going to do it again, because once i did it they sent me a faulty drone again. pretending its a new one.

What my plans are is to sell this drone by pieces(gimbal, batteries, ESC and etc) - and move to some other brand.
Which is more reliable as with their drones, as with there updates for it.
What would you recommend?

what other drone has RTH option and stuff like that?
Yuneec Typhoon h has almost all the feature that DJI has but the software is worse and the rage is about a 3rd (compared to phantom 4) also the price is amazing and its a hex-copter with retractable legs like the spreading wings series. (Toms Tech Time has a huge series comparing literally everything about the two drones) I would personally compare it to a spreading wings s900 but a lot cheaper and without any camera options. The nice thing is that you can put the included camera on to a included handgrip and basically have a osmo system.(Spreading Wings S900 - highly portable, powerful aerial system for the demanding filmmaker)

If your android has 2 GB or RAM there will be no issues. Anything under that, you may need to do some tweaking.

The problem isnt my tablet or phone. I tried a few, including a nexus 7, a new, fairly high spec android phone and an iphone. I see no real difference between them. But like I said, even the official best case latency figure of 220ms, so even if no lag is added anywhere else, is more than twice what I find good enough. Well, its clearly good enough if you are shooting landscapes from 400ft. It isnt if you are chasing bigscale RC cars at <6ft altitude.

So yeah, Ill be adding an analog 5.8 GHz FPV setup to my phantom. Ill have to keep the gimbal tilt fixed or framing will become a challenge, but at least I'll be flying where I wanted to.

I don't feel like there is very much latency while using either the nvidia k1 shield or ipad mini2 with my P3P.

just test it. Shoot video of a stopwatch and record both the original and your tablet. See if you can get <250ms difference with the phantom within arms reach. Then double check the math I posted above, and you may see the problem.

For the record, my miniquads have a roll rate of around 3 full flips per second. 250ms is an eternity then, and with no autoleveling, so having to stop the rotation at the right moment, its basically unflyable.

Last edited:
The problem isnt my tablet or phone. I tried a few, including a nexus 7, a new, fairly high spec android phone and an iphone. I see no real difference between them. But like I said, even the official best case latency figure of 220ms, so even if no lag is added anywhere else, is more than twice what I find good enough. Well, its clearly good enough if you are shooting landscapes from 400ft. It isnt if you are chasing bigscale RC cars at <6ft altitude.

So yeah, Ill be adding an analog 5.8 GHz FPV setup to my phantom. Ill have to keep the gimbal tilt fixed or framing will become a challenge, but at least I'll be flying where I wanted to.

just test it. Shoot video of a stopwatch and record both the original and your tablet. See if you can get <250ms difference with the phantom within arms reach. Then double check the math I posted above, and you may see the problem.

For the record, my miniquads have a roll rate of around 3 full flips per second. 250ms is an eternity then, and with no autoleveling, so having to stop the rotation at the right moment, its basically unflyable.

I can tell ya if I were into the racing quads, any latency would be not acceptable. I have to think they use the lightest weight stuff with the best quality.

As I was reading your post I was thinking about what tool or possible app you might use to measure the latency. And sure enough there was the details.

So let me see if I got this right. You say to Record Video of a Stopwatch. Then Record Video of a Stopwatch and the already Recorded Video of the Stopwatch being displayed on the Tablet side by side?

If the above is correct, it's the math part that I can't think of how you're coming up with the numbers?

Btw, my older tablet I replaced was the newer version Nexus 7. That tablet was my all time favorite until it began shutting down and rebooting while the a/c was in flight. This was during beta testing the GO app before it was published live. One of the beta admin's in China had actually spent a lot of time with me on trouble shooting what the issue may have been. It ended up that the GO was adding more processes then the pilot app. The tablet was being over worked and shutting down every once in awhile. I ended up rolling it back to factory status with all updates being current and then putting just the GO app on it,...and it still ran into shutting down, so I bought something with more resources which cured the problem.

For those of you are hellbent on jumping the fence Autel has lightening deals for the X-Star (standard version) on Amazon 559.00 plenty left... Go get it. Pretty shocked they are still available at that price.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So let me see if I got this right. You say to Record Video of a Stopwatch. Then Record Video of a Stopwatch and the already Recorded Video of the Stopwatch being displayed on the Tablet side by side?

Here's an example:

If the above is correct, it's the math part that I can't think of how you're coming up with the numbers?

Which ones? Where I say how much my heading will be off? Thats rather simple. If video latency is X milliseconds (X/1000 seconds) and rotation rate Y degrees per second, your video feed delay will cause you to be off by Y*X/1000 when yawing. Just how much the quad rotates between real time and the video feed.

I just tried myself; the asus just displays a timer, the nexus tablet is connected to the phantom controller. Then I recorded it at 60FPS and cut out a frame:

upload_2016-7-13_10-40-55.png

Seems to be pretty close to the 220ms DJI claims when the transmitter and phantom are right next to each other. In flight, it tends to be more, but at least this shows the nexus isnt my problem.

Oh well, Im sure not everyone minds. But for those that do, and dont want to sacrifice resolution to lower their latency, there is a solution. Although not exactly cheap:
***PRE-ORDER*** CONNEX™ ProSight HD Vision Pack for FPV EU Version

and with limited range. Or decent range (supposedly >1Km) and still low latency, but then with crappy resolution. This tradeoff is just the nature of digital video with its high bandwidth requirement or the need to capture many frames beforehand in order to compress it to more manageable size; I dont see a fix for this anytime soon. A high(er) definition analog system IMO would be the best of both worlds, and I dont understand why no one makes it. A typical 5.8 GHz analog FPV system has 40 channels available to it. Even if you just crudely combine 4 transmitters and receivers on separate channels, you would get more pixels than 720P, close to 1080P, still have no latency and you could fly with up to 10 people in the same area. Make it 5 realistically.

ok, enough OT I guess :)

Last edited:
I have had four Phantoms all rock steady. I would be very careful about changing because you don't like something. Better to change because you see features that you want. Plus, the shear size of the DJI community is a huge support resource. Not knowing your issues, I fly with Litchi Android P4. Gd Luck.

The DJI Phantom 4 is the best consumer drone available. There is no comparison unless you are willing to spend $10,000.00 +.

Reactions: peterepeat69
The potential problem you have at the moment is that with the DJI as market leader there are a lot of features you wont see in competitors offerings and you wont bebefit from the third party developer support and investment in apps. Perhaps this isnt an issue for you. It is a relavent consideration though.
+1

lightbridge, gps+glonass, flight time, speed, gimbal quality, camera quality, just to name a few...

I got an email ad from Autel which they are giving a free battery with the purchase of the x-star premium when purchased from authorized dealers. Last year I saw a guy fly the x-star, which seemed pretty good and stable. To me looks like a DJI knock-off so who knows what other odd issue it has.

You can't beat DJI actually, awesome quality great product

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl