How do these Connectors Come Off?

Reaction score
I assume they pull straight up, but as delicate as they are, how best to remove them intact if needed?
thanks

Attachments

• 20170220_081626.png
    20170220_081626.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 368
Excuse me for not being clairvoyant .......... can you let us all know what connectors you are talking about ?

Nigel

They just pop off, use a plastic pry tool, they pop-on and off like snaps on a shirt or pants..

They are easy to take off but be careful putting them back on. They have to be perfectly straight up when you connect them or they will not snap in.

Reactions: Vega
Man, that was fast Nigel. I just edited when I realized I forgot the pic.

No grass growing under my feet !!

OK - they are RF connectors that have positive lock by the outer metal part ... with tiny easily bent / broken central pin. Many RC radio sets use these ... particularly for Rx antenna.

You carefully pry them off DEAD VERTICAL ... try not to skew them too much to one side ... They will pop off once the locking part eases. When replacing with new or old - make sure the centre pin is straight ... and that you locate it VERTICAL before pressing it down to click into place. I usually get it to seat - then take a small dowel rod of similar diameter with flat end ... place vertically on and then press quite hard to make sure its well seated and locked in place.

I reckon many peoples problems with antenna mods etc. are to do with not getting these plugs fitted to sockets correctly.

Nigel

No grass growing under my feet !!

OK - they are RF connectors that have positive lock by the outer metal part ... with tiny easily bent / broken central pin. Many RC radio sets use these ... particularly for Rx antenna.

You carefully pry them off DEAD VERTICAL ... try not to skew them too much to one side ... They will pop off once the locking part eases. When replacing with new or old - make sure the centre pin is straight ... and that you locate it VERTICAL before pressing it down to click into place. I usually get it to seat - then take a small dowel rod of similar diameter with flat end ... place vertically on and then press quite hard to make sure its well seated and locked in place.

I reckon many peoples problems with antenna mods etc. are to do with not getting these plugs fitted to sockets correctly.

Nigel
thanks all for the replies. Nigel, sounds like tool curved like a crowbar end in miniature would be the tool of choice to unseat the clips. Gonna have to send my unit in when I get back to home base. Lost the gimbal in a stupid operator error based crash. At cost of new gimble, Im thinking sending it in would be my best option as black and grey wire connectors are gone as well the entire gimbal and busted top shell. Gimble alone is most of cost of the P3. Lesson learned. Always set RTH height to higher than talles object in area. Duuh!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a refurb and keep the old for spares ? Or even get an Advanced refurb ?

Nigel

sounds like tool curved like a crowbar end in miniature would be the tool of choice to unseat the clips.
If you've ever replaced a screen on a mobile phone, the plastic tools you get (most of the time) will be perfect for this. It has a small plastic prying tool with it

Attachments

• laptop-case-open-pry-tool.jpg
    laptop-case-open-pry-tool.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 272
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a refurb and keep the old for spares ? Or even get an Advanced refurb ?

Nigel
Probably. Im curious as to what DJI will offer me, or do for repairs. Hopefully it will only cost me shipping to find out.

Is it feasible to solder new connectors to the gray and black wires for a new gimble? Its pretty dicey to get th eold wifi antennae out to replace them just for to replace the broken/lost connectors?
Sounds like repair is gonna be outside new unit/refurb cost. Appreciate the input all.

Suggest trotting along to a Mobile Phone Repair shop .... as the repair to the RF leads with the small connectors is not easy ... I tackle just about any solder job - but this - I would leave to betters !!

Nigel

Suggest trotting along to a Mobile Phone Repair shop .... as the repair to the RF leads with the small connectors is not easy ... I tackle just about any solder job - but this - I would leave to betters !!

Nigel
I did try to power up the ac and relink without the gimble with no luck. As some have said the aircraft will operate without the gimble, I assume something more than the black and grey wire connectors is damaged as well. Couldn't observe anything amiss under the hood. I'm thinking that using this for parts may be the better part of valor as you suggested.

With the demise of the Adv and Pro versions ... I cannot believe the Std is going to be around for too long. It is no longer the 'intelligent' route through DJI as it is totally alone with batterys and systems now. You cannot use anything from the DJI gear with any other DJI offering.
If it does go - as I suspect - then spare parts via a broken bird takes on a whole new meaning. I accept that parts will be available for some time ... but how long ? As long as the bird can fly ?

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl