Phantom 2 Batteries

Reaction score
Hi

I managed to pick up a couple of used dead Phantom 2 batteries.

I've been tryng to see if they are in hibernation mode, left them charging overnight and they seem dead. no lights what so ever.

I was wondering if anyone has done a mod on them.

If so, how did you do it. I saw a few videos, but really didn't understand them.

Any help would be grateful

Jan

Hi

I managed to pick up a couple of used dead Phantom 2 batteries.

I've been tryng to see if they are in hibernation mode, left them charging overnight and they seem dead. no lights what so ever.

I was wondering if anyone has done a mod on them.

If so, how did you do it. I saw a few videos, but really didn't understand them.

Any help would be grateful

Jan
I have had limited success reviving a Phantom 2 battery. If the cells aren't showing any signs of swelling then you "may" be able to coax it back to life. This involves disassembling the battery to gain access to the connections to the cells and carefully and selectively charging each cell bank (there are 3) to 3.4 volts. Then, the factory battery charger should wake up and chargethe battery. I do not recommend this to anyone who has no experience with electronics. LiPo's are very dangerous and can cause fire and/or explosion if not handled very carefully. I can provide more details if needed.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

The cells look okay with no swellng and the battery seems to have 6 cells.
What would I need ?
I suppose I would need to get a slow trickle charger.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG20230717231259.jpg
    IMG20230717231259.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG20230717231424.jpg
    IMG20230717231424.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
Yes there are actually 6 cells, 3 banks of 2.
If you look at the connections from the cell banks to the underside of the control board, those are the connections to each of the 3 banks of 2 cells, if you take a voltage reading at those 3 points, you will notice that banks 1 and 3 are connected at the same polarity but bank 2 is reversed polarity. This is also the connection point to charge each bank individually (to balance them) and bring them up to at least 3.3v and no higher than 3.4v and with the correct polarity. If you can get all 3 banks in that range, then connecting the factory charger should do the rest.

Can I use a car charger or do i need something else?
That's the interesting question, too high of voltage or current could cause issues and high heat. Ideally you want a programmable charger set to 3.3v but a 6 volt charger could be used, the slower the better, but even quick blast could add enough to that cell to get it's voltage up. The trick is to monitor the cell voltage while charging very carefully.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl