HOA say I can not fly

You struck a nerve! OK I want bore you with the background but I'm the former President of a HOA. Somewhere there a 50 sheet book of all the rules and regulations. Find it and read it I seriously doubt it in there but you need to know. HOA make stuff up ALL THE TIME. (Something I stopped the 3 years I was on the board) anyway. Part 2 - As you said your allowed to fly but technically he's allowed to shot you down over his property, problem is the city probably has gun rules about discarding a gun in the city limits but you need to know. When I fly my in my neighborhood a couple of people "freaked out" after taking the time to show them the drone has NO ZOOM LENS and that I really have no interest in them it all calmed down. All that said I prefer to fly in more open spaces and a huge parks only 2 miles away...

Like so many 'boards' some members go crazy with their new power. Most likely they can amend CC&Rs at a Board meeting but local laws prevail.

Most HOA that I've dealt with, as a repairman, will have some rule in place about 'disturbance' of other neighbors. All it would take is a couple of them complaining in writing to the board. They don't need to add any by-laws or rules, as that covers it completely. A friend of mine had the same thing happen, then he shot come aerial pictures of the complex, printed them out, and gave them to the chief officer of the board at one of the meetings. Now they are posted on the wall in the lobby of the guest reception, and he is free to fly without hassle.

Like so many 'boards' some members go crazy with their new power.
Perhaps. But, who could blame them since the OP is intentionally trying to harass his neighbor by flying near his house "just so he can hear it". This is a perfect example of what someone should not do with a drone. Let's not give people a reason to create new local laws.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Perhaps. But, who could blame them since the OP is intentionally trying to harass his neighbor by flying near his house "just so he can hear it". This is a perfect example of what someone should not do with a drone. Let's not give people a reason to create new local laws.
My rules for flying in the neighborhood are: keep it high and keep it moving. Neighbors tent to perceive a hovering drone as creepy (their words, not mine). Best to engage them if you can.

I also doubt that the neighbor can just "shoot" down your drone (legally) if you are flying by. I think there may be some consequences to be paid by the "shooter". But agreed, in all seriousness, operators should not just antagonize the neighbors for the heck of it.

I live in Boac Raton FL in a community mostly made up of old people. This weekend I was flying standing in my driveway when out of no were this guy comes running at me screaming and cursing how I'm invading his privacy. He then said if he ever sees the drone he will call the police and shoot it out of the sky. Then today I receive a letter from my HOA saying I can't fly my drone from my house and or in the community. So I then called the police station and pretended that my neighbor was flying over my house and that was an invasion of privacy. There response was drones are not illegal and then they hung up. S for s%#ts and giggles I called the nearest airport control tower and and asked to fly IN A FAA NO FLY ZONE near my house was very surprising to me. He said "ok just stay under 400ft". Im going to keep flying in my neighborhood keep you guys posted. The HOA can suck a D .
Anyone threatening to shoot a gun in a populated area should be arrested for intimidation. In our community the discharge of a firearm carries five years. If he displaced you one foot in Oregon through intimidation, on your property or the publics it is kidnapping. An HOA probably will try to tell you when to flush your toilet. But they would have to enforce it in court. Read your paperwork. If it isn't there don't worry about it. The best they could do is sue you at their cost. How do they really know what you are doing and who is doing it anyway from a legal perspective. These are not drones they are cell phones. After all we use cell phones as controllers. Neither the FAA or local police are employees of the HOA and would be highly resistant to being used like toys by them. I think you will find there are very few "privacy" laws. In other words it's not in the books that you can't fly over airspace.

Reactions: NRJ
How about 20/30 of us show up one Saturday morning at your home and fly the drones right out in front of his house. Probably only trouble we'd get into is that most would be 'carrying' also.

TC

I live in Boac Raton FL in a community mostly made up of old people. This weekend I was flying standing in my driveway when out of no were this guy comes running at me screaming and cursing how I'm invading his privacy. He then said if he ever sees the drone he will call the police and shoot it out of the sky. Then today I receive a letter from my HOA saying I can't fly my drone from my house and or in the community. So I then called the police station and pretended that my neighbor was flying over my house and that was an invasion of privacy. There response was drones are not illegal and then they hung up. S for s%#ts and giggles I called the nearest airport control tower and and asked to fly IN A FAA NO FLY ZONE near my house was very surprising to me. He said "ok just stay under 400ft". Im going to keep flying in my neighborhood keep you guys posted. The HOA can suck a D .
What community are you in? WCC? Please try not to upset the person or the HOA will ban drones and that would be a bummer. These co do commandos can do whatever they want within the walls. Better not to upset them and be as respectful as you can and they will leave you alone.

Anyone threatening to shoot a gun in a populated area should be arrested for intimidation. In our community the discharge of a firearm carries five years. If he displaced you one foot in Oregon through intimidation, on your property or the publics it is kidnapping. An HOA probably will try to tell you when to flush your toilet. But they would have to enforce it in court. Read your paperwork. If it isn't there don't worry about it. The best they could do is sue you at their cost. How do they really know what you are doing and who is doing it anyway from a legal perspective. These are not drones they are cell phones. After all we use cell phones as controllers. Neither the FAA or local police are employees of the HOA and would be highly resistant to being used like toys by them. I think you will find there are very few "privacy" laws. In other words it's not in the books that you can't fly over airspace.
An HOA can ban them. Penalty would be to remove club and community privileges. Why provoke the guy when you can just avoid his house. I fly my drone in my Boca community and no one bothers me. Probably the same one. I am just respectful of not getting too close to other homes or too low. Piece of cake. I also offer aerials of their homes if someone does approach me. They love it.

Lmao, just read this thread. I like to use a saying from another forum member (sorry, forgot the name) who told someone that a drone isn't exactly the ideal spy, since you can see and hear it. lol

Reactions: Dounin Front
I got the rules and it says nothing about drones. So tomorrow I plan to fly near his house just so he can here it but i plan to take off from outside the neighborhood. Let the games begin.
This is how HOA starts adding restriction for flying drones. I do a lot of tests in my front yard. I don't put camera on. When I have the camera, I don't point the camera to any houses except my own and the middle of the street.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You guys can't shoot in your neighborhood? You must be citified :)

The responsible thing to do would be to introduce yourself to him. Show hit he Phantom, show the screen when you're flying.

I've done this with a few neighbors who didn't like my drone and they ended up loving it.
I have done the same thing with the same result. They realize you cannot "spy" on people with the thing, but can see beauty.

You struck a nerve! OK I want bore you with the background but I'm the former President of a HOA. Somewhere there a 50 sheet book of all the rules and regulations. Find it and read it I seriously doubt it in there but you need to know. HOA make stuff up ALL THE TIME. (Something I stopped the 3 years I was on the board) anyway. Part 2 - As you said your allowed to fly but technically he's allowed to shot you down over his property, problem is the city probably has gun rules about discarding a gun in the city limits but you need to know. When I fly my in my neighborhood a couple of people "freaked out" after taking the time to show them the drone has NO ZOOM LENS and that I really have no interest in them it all calmed down. All that said I prefer to fly in more open spaces and a huge parks only 2 miles away...

Past HOA President or not, as soon as you said: "but technically he's allowed to shot you down over his property" I suspect your understanding.

Last edited:
Past HOA President or not, as soon as you said: "but technically he's allowed to shot you down over his property" I suspect your understanding.
State laws vary and case law is very new but in the two cases I know of the property owner showing down a drone they have won......

Interesting read. I live in HOA controlled development. The HOA president lives about 4 house down from me. He was walking home from the mailbox when he saw me flying mine. He commented on it then we talked about other subjects. Knock on wood, I've had zero issues with my neighbors. They've seen me flying around and have stopped to ask questions and one, joked about it being registered... Whenever I reference "it", I call it a Quadcopter not drone. They seem more interested than anything else...

Perhaps. But, who could blame them since the OP is intentionally trying to harass his neighbor by flying near his house "just so he can hear it". This is a perfect example of what someone should not do with a drone. Let's not give people a reason to create new loca
I'm in Boca too and have no issues in my HOA. Maybe I should come to your place and we both fly.
I live in VERY rural South Carolina. I enjoy flying my p3a ,along with my Cheerson CX20 and my Walkera Qrx 350pro early (or late) simply for the fact that I really enjoy a clear star filled sky at approximately 1 or 2 am. My CX20 got some interference from something and I got a fly away, sort of. When I hit RTE it simply started to fly in a circle at full throttle. I watched it auto land and drove off to look for it. No luck. So the next day I flew my p3a to see if I could find it. No luck. But I am pretty sure that I have the general area it went down. At a neighbors house ,under construction, with an acre pond. I finally found him at home, so I went to the garage apartment they live in while building the house. I introduced myself to him and told him about why I'm at his door. Holy cow. You would have thought I was a drug crazed psycho.He just kept asking why I am spying on him. I kept on telling him that I am looking for my lost quad. He told me to NEVER fly over his property, or he would "take action" to make sure that it would never fly over his property again . He said he knew that he didn't own the airspace above his land ,but I had better not fly over his land again ..Comes to find out that he works for the dot ,and he is using state equipment to build his house and state equipment to grade the land. Long story short. He had something to hide. So i will still fly where I want. And I bet ya dollars to donuts that the equipment he uses that belongs to the state will never be on his property again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen