Phantom 4 Pro+ VS my latest mavic air 2.

Reaction score
Hello I've been mostly flying the Mavic air 2 lately because of the smaller size and it seems to attract less attention when setting up to fly.
My question is that I perceive that the phantom 4 pro doesn't keep as steady in low/no wind conditions as the air 2.
I haven't done a very recent IMU and compass cal on either unit but not showing any anomalies either.
I was thinking that it's a matter of having faster processors and better algorithms but then I wonder if there's something not right about the phantom.
The issue is not severe in any way but makes the phantom less desirable for things like timed exposure and hyper-laps shots.
The effect is pretty subtle but I have a few hundred hours flying these guys.

The compass itself has nothing to do with what you describe and calibrating it will not provide any change.
Some additional information on what you are dissatisfied with may help.

The compass itself has nothing to do with what you describe and calibrating it will not provide any change.
Some additional information on what you are dissatisfied with may help.
when hovering in one place the Phantom 4 pro+ drifts both horizontaly as well as verticaly compared to the AIR 2. causing issues with longer exposure.

I've installed a new set of the OEM props based on some other things I came across while searching. I'll need to wait for low wind conditions, the issue for me is it has always been "drifty" as soon as I flew a newer mavic series of a few kinds most often being my new to me air 2 not (S) it just seems to hold station so much better.
I'm hoping props help, I may be just wasting time if it's completely expected because of advances in everything drone maybe the older ones are just a bit more wobbly?.

If you had a prop/motor issue, more likely it would move off in some direction and keep moving along that path until you made a stick movement to correct it.
My thought would be the IMU may be off. What is the app saying about the IMU condition?

If you had a prop/motor issue, more likely it would move off in some direction and keep moving along that path until you made a stick movement to correct it.
My thought would be the IMU may be off. What is the app saying about the IMU condition?
according to the app everything is perfect. but I can fly it twenty feet away and hover in one spot, do the exact same with a newer drone, the phantom 4 is noticeably more unstable. I did full cal a couple of moths ago.
The more I mess with it the more I'm convinced it's normal for the older drone and firmware, cpu etc...

about 24" in less then 30 seconds in no wind where the Air 2 sticks like glue when left alone.
The specs for both of your drones are the same:
Hover Accuracy Range
Vertical: ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal: ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

It sounds like your Phantom isn't acting unusually.

I'm hoping props help, I may be just wasting time if it's completely expected because of advances in everything drone maybe the older ones are just a bit more wobbly?.
It's unlikely to make any difference.

Reactions: gppms and Aairon
The specs don't really translate to real world conditions very well. I think those are just absolute maximum deviations(cookie cutter specs).
I'm now convinced that the algorithms and the electronics IE CPU etc are not as fast or sophisticated as the newer drones, I'd love to replace the guts of the P4P with the guts of the Air 2 but keep the autonomous functions of the P4P. the newer one is Just ROCK SOLID in 10 MPH winds or less.
I wonder if the P4P V2 is better with this issue then the P4P. ? does anyone have any experience with the three IE a P4P and P4P v2 and a newer mavic series drones?
Any input would be greatly appreciated and help me figure if I want to make a deal for a P4P v2 Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl