HOA say I can not fly

In my old neighborhood, I was a board member on the HOA. New rules could easily be added to our bylaws if a certain percentage of the community voted in favor. If yours are written the same way, then you might see a drone rule added soon if you intentionally badger enough of your community.

If I was you, I would try to smooth things over with those who are against allowing people to fly them in your community. Once a new rule is estaiblished, your next course of action will be to move out of the community.

Our local news station does "investigative reports" on a variety of topics. For the last 2 weeks they've been showing a preview on their next piece NONSTOP.

In the preview they show a drone (DJI flame wheel) flying with a DSLR camera on it, as the narrator says "What YOU can do to protect your privacy from an eye in the sky. Next time on News Channel 3."

I cringe every time that stupid preview plays. Perpetuating the paranoia that EVERY drone is spying on people. I'm sure their "advice" will be some nonsense about registering their property as a no-fly zone or tell everyone to call the police if they see a drone above their house.

No BS, with in 1 year, flying a P3 went from being a cool gadget people were curious about to Public Enemy #1.

News sucks. Sensationalism instead of journalism. But that aside, as someone else suggested, be pre-emptive about it. Speak to the board of the HOA and bring video to show what sort of shots you get, prove that you can't see the whiner's shriveled old, well, let them see that it'd have to be pretty close to violate their privacy. Be prepared to address noise issues - without resorting to jokes about turning the hearing aids down. But the general gist is to get the rest of the people to either be on your side or at least not buy into the hysteria. From what my dad has said about the condo bylaws etc at their retirement place, there are people that have nothing else to do and complain. For all you know, everyone else may be looking for a way to put this guy in his place and get him to STFU.

You should have been provided with a copy, but if you don't have them, get a copy of your HOA rules. If it is really against the rules it should be stated there. And obviously it's against the law for him to shoot it out of the sky, doubt he'd actually do it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Wrong.. Discharging a firearm in a residential area is very likely to be a violation.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

The HOA can add the rules in a heartbeat. And there is always 1 or 2 lawyers in the neighborhood. This is the reason rarely fly on the weekends.

We had a run in with a neighboring HOA one time. A guy came down and told us that we couldn't shoot at our rifle range any more because their HOA had voted against it, so he told us to stop. We continued and told him to leave, that he was trespassing and that he had no authority to be trespassing on our land. He got pissy and said that he would be back with the Sheriff... About a half hour later the Sheriff rolled in behind the guy and we all started talking. I'd known the Sheriff for years and they were always welcome here and had been swimming in our man made swimming hole. I mean the HOA was a mile or so away and up on the ridge, way out of their area and trespassing to boot. The Sheriff told him to leave and that he was trespassing, etc. and he did leave after a few, but, but's, but not happy. The Sheriff stayed with us and we all continued shooting. From then on for years, the HOA members would turn their noses up at us when passing on the road
evil6.gif

So for starters I would check and see how much area that they actually cover and then go from there being that back yards get old anyway.

I mean the HOA was a mile or so away and up on the ridge, way out of their area and trespassing to boot.
Unfortunately, the OP lives in the community that the HOA governs. Otherwise, this would be a non-issue since an HOA's rules do not apply to homeowners outside of their community.

I live in a development with an HOA. So far, when someone notices that I am flying, I always take the time to go into the "dog and pony show" routine of showing them the videos and explaining the technologies in the Phantom that make it safe and fun to fly. Have not had a negative response yet. If people are annoyed at you flying, getting confrontational will not make it better. Just be nice and calm and use logic against any negatives they throw out.

The HOA can add the rules in a heartbeat. And there is always 1 or 2 lawyers in the neighborhood. This is the reason rarely fly on the weekends.

This is not true in all states and certainly not all HOAs.

Read the FAA guidelines about flying over people. The OP may invite more problems in persisting to irritate his neighbor(s).

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The OP may invite more problems in persisting to irritate his neighbor(s).
I'm sure the HOA will take him down with some other non-flying technicality -- like being a nuisance to his neighbors. Most HOA bylaws contain some very basic catch-all rules. If the OP was wise, he'd treat people like he wants to be treated. There is no sense in wasting one's life to terrorize others. And people wonder why the FAA is always trying to make new rules...

Reactions: GoodnNuff and JTC
I'm sure the HOA will take him down with some other non-flying technicality -- like being a nuisance to his neighbors. Most HOA bylaws contain some very basic catch-all rules. If the OP was wise, he'd treat people like he wants to be treated. There is no sense in wasting one's life to terrorize others. And people wonder why the FAA is always trying to make new rules...
Precisely my point. All they'd need to do is discover that rule then have their local police enforce it.

In my neighborhood I have only 1 neighbor who is adamant about my flying. I showed her the camera is not recording, & that I'm only less than 50-100 ft above my own house to test any new firmware or adjustments I made for not more than a few minutes or less. The other neighbors have no issues with it & told her not to worry when it's clearly over my own house. Her protests have since stopped.

I got the rules and it says nothing about drones. So tomorrow I plan to fly near his house just so he can here it but i plan to take off from outside the neighborhood. Let the games begin.
Looks like someone is planning to buzz the tower......generals daughter doesn't live there does she?........lol

Our local news station does "investigative reports" on a variety of topics. For the last 2 weeks they've been showing a preview on their next piece NONSTOP.

In the preview they show a drone (DJI flame wheel) flying with a DSLR camera on it, as the narrator says "What YOU can do to protect your privacy from an eye in the sky. Next time on News Channel 3."

I cringe every time that stupid preview plays. Perpetuating the paranoia that EVERY drone is spying on people. I'm sure their "advice" will be some nonsense about registering their property as a no-fly zone or tell everyone to call the police if they see a drone above their house.

No BS, with in 1 year, flying a P3 went from being a cool gadget people were curious about to Public Enemy #1.
Call the station! Be a voice of reason and advocate for responsible use. Help them understand the differences. New stations always one alternative view.
Just a thought.

The responsible thing to do would be to introduce yourself to him. Show hit he Phantom, show the screen when you're flying.

I've done this with a few neighbors who didn't like my drone and they ended up loving it.
Bingo, me too. Suspicious, wary, their eyes light up, and they think it's ultra cool. Very predicable pattern.

My mom used to live in such a community, and she'd run into crotchety old grannies all the time that'd complain about every little thing. I could totally see this happening.

My experience with HOA's, is that they're generally not to be F'ed with. When I lived in Texas, they had pretty insane amounts of power. Not sure if it's the same in other states, but as someone else suggested, I would talk to the HOA board (attend the next meeting), bring your drone, show them what it can do..and you're likely to smooth folks over.

Yeah, they get into their power trips. I lived in a place near the beach in FL where you weren't allowed to be barefoot! HOA board members, and everyone basically, like to feel important and respected. If you show up at their meeting, before any controversy, and then give them a little overview and presentation -- a beautiful video will work -- and answer some questions, then they'll like what they saw, they'll feel respected and important that you took the trouble to come to them. Then if some chronic whiner talks about you, you've already trumped them.

I think you are grasping at straws assuming otherwise though.

Not assuming anything.
Speaking from experience in 3 FL HOAs.

Fla HOAs are well regulated to prevent fraud and abuse from Ego-centric Directors.

The HOA can....

If you feel that way, you probably shouldn't be living in an HOA.

The HOA can levy a fine.
That fine can be substantial.
That fine can result in a lien on your property.
Refusal to pay that fine can result in the HOA denying you services (access to pool, golf, restaurant, whatever).

A previous poster mentioned that Florida HOA's are very regulated. I am sure that is the case. My experience is with HOAs in NY.

Either way, if they put it in the rules they can and will issue the fine. It is up to you to hire a lawyer and fight the fine. An HOA has unlimited dollars for legal expenses (it doesn't come out of the director's pockets, they simply levy more assessments). You have to pay your own legal expenses, and they can be high.

Here's two better options:
1. More to an HOA-free area and be allowed to live like a free person.
2. Get elected to the HOA board and have direct input into the rule-making process.

Telling the HOA to stick their rules where the sun don't shine ends up being a very expensive option.

I live in Boac Raton FL in a community mostly made up of old people. This weekend I was flying standing in my driveway when out of no were this guy comes running at me screaming and cursing how I'm invading his privacy. He then said if he ever sees the drone he will call the police and shoot it out of the sky. Then today I receive a letter from my HOA saying I can't fly my drone from my house and or in the community. So I then called the police station and pretended that my neighbor was flying over my house and that was an invasion of privacy. There response was drones are not illegal and then they hung up. S for s%#ts and giggles I called the nearest airport control tower and and asked to fly IN A FAA NO FLY ZONE near my house was very surprising to me. He said "ok just stay under 400ft". Im going to keep flying in my neighborhood keep you guys posted. The HOA can suck a D .
Good on you keep on flying

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen