HOA say I can not fly

Reaction score
I live in Boac Raton FL in a community mostly made up of old people. This weekend I was flying standing in my driveway when out of no were this guy comes running at me screaming and cursing how I'm invading his privacy. He then said if he ever sees the drone he will call the police and shoot it out of the sky. Then today I receive a letter from my HOA saying I can't fly my drone from my house and or in the community. So I then called the police station and pretended that my neighbor was flying over my house and that was an invasion of privacy. There response was drones are not illegal and then they hung up. S for s%#ts and giggles I called the nearest airport control tower and and asked to fly IN A FAA NO FLY ZONE near my house was very surprising to me. He said "ok just stay under 400ft". Im going to keep flying in my neighborhood keep you guys posted. The HOA can suck a D .

Some people just freak when they see or hear a drone. I'm going to be in Boca next month. Which local airport gave the easy OK? As you know so much of that area is a NFZ so I'm looking for cool places to fly. Any suggestions?

Some people just freak when they see or hear a drone. I'm going to be in Boca next month. Which local airport gave the easy OK? As you know so much of that area is a NFZ so I'm looking for cool places to fly. Any suggestions?

Boca Raton Airport (561) 391-2202 they were pretty cool. For me I like boca inlet chasing boats and running the beach.

Reactions: oblivie
Not sure how it is in Florida, but around here if there is no local ordinance against it and it isn't prohibited in writing by either your HOA rules & regulations or CC&R's, then there isn't much they can do about it. That said, I think I would still try to keep the peace if possible - they can still give you a bad time.

What do the bylaws of the homeowners association say about drones? If they aren't in the bylaws then I wouldn't worry about it. Next time the neighbor approaches tell him that you are licensed and registered through the FAA and that you have approval to fly. Tell him you won't fly over his place. Try sugar... If that doesn't work then you can tell him to get bent!

You should have been provided with a copy, but if you don't have them, get a copy of your HOA rules. If it is really against the rules it should be stated there. And obviously it's against the law for him to shoot it out of the sky, doubt he'd actually do it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

just go outside of the community then fly over it all over it then when they try and see where your at good luck on that one

I got the rules and it says nothing about drones. So tomorrow I plan to fly near his house just so he can here it but i plan to take off from outside the neighborhood. Let the games begin.

Odds are that its not in the HOA rules but they can add it at the next board meeting if they want.

The question is can they legally tell you that you can't fly in there neighborhood?

They do not own the air space above them.

These are questions that have not really been answered yet.
We have a 400' ceiling but how low can we fly as not to bother anyone.

One of my best friends is an assistant solicitor, we talked about this because people call his office all the time about drones. He said" they can fly anywhere they want, since the air space above someones house is public area" also you cant shoot one down or you will be charges with destruction of personal property and if inside the city limits then charged with discharging a firearm within city limits.
Fly all you want.

I was at beach other day and was told I couldn't fly there so I went up street and flew all around the area ranger came from front of entrance and spotted me he told me I was told not to fly but as I informed him I am outside of that area in a public spot so f offf

Reactions: mikecorn1
You should invite a few dozen fellow Phantom pilots over for a weekend Fly Fest.

I live in Boac Raton FL in a community mostly made up of old people. This weekend I was flying standing in my driveway when out of no were this guy comes running at me screaming and cursing how I'm invading his privacy. He then said if he ever sees the drone he will call the police and shoot it out of the sky. Then today I receive a letter from my HOA saying I can't fly my drone from my house and or in the community. So I then called the police station and pretended that my neighbor was flying over my house and that was an invasion of privacy. There response was drones are not illegal and then they hung up. S for s%#ts and giggles I called the nearest airport control tower and and asked to fly IN A FAA NO FLY ZONE near my house was very surprising to me. He said "ok just stay under 400ft". Im going to keep flying in my neighborhood keep you guys posted. The HOA can suck a D .

When you sign on to be ruled by a HOA, you're pretty much beholden to adhere to their rules. Don't be surprised when they start "adjusting" the agreement in their favor. Or their lawyers sending you letters to cease and desist. Why did you sign an HOA agreement in the first place?!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yea, I agree your CURRENT R&Rs won't likely prevent this (unless ammended) but TYPICALLY in FLA the Board alone can only regulate the Common Areas.

Restricting you from flying from (Take-off / Landing) from your private lot/parcel/property requires membership vote at a duly called meeting typically in the 51-66% of membership range.

But as was said before... best to engage the BOD/neighbors, show how benign it is in terms of privacy fears, and educate them on your rights.

Plus, you're registered... right???

The responsible thing to do would be to introduce yourself to him. Show hit he Phantom, show the screen when you're flying.

I've done this with a few neighbors who didn't like my drone and they ended up loving it.

This is IMHO the best first move. Then, if he continues to be a ****, Fly your heart out...

My mom used to live in such a community, and she'd run into crotchety old grannies all the time that'd complain about every little thing. I could totally see this happening.

My experience with HOA's, is that they're generally not to be F'ed with. When I lived in Texas, they had pretty insane amounts of power. Not sure if it's the same in other states, but as someone else suggested, I would talk to the HOA board (attend the next meeting), bring your drone, show them what it can do..and you're likely to smooth folks over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen