Help with Compass Calibration

Reaction score
The GPS lock is better than it was after a crash, but still not good. I wouldn't want to try return to home.

First I power the Phantom, flashing yellow, turn on the controller, slower flashing yellow.

I do not calibrate for GPS. The Phantom is inside away from speakers and TV, by that I mean 6'.

Here's what the software assistant says: http://screencast.com/t/HwjT7KeJF

Right out of the box the GPS lock and hovering was very good. It was horrible three flights ago for some reason, and now it is what it is.

Ideas?

The calibration of the compass should have no impact on how well the GPS acquires a fix. Unless you mean something different by "GPS lock".

The calibration numbers are good for the GPS and the compass results are within limits it seems the Phantom is drifting a lot more than it used to.

Maybe I should put up a video so you guys can see.

I could also try testing return to home by shitting down the controller with the Phantom close by and 20 feet of the ground. I can bring it back with ATTI. I'm new clearly and I'm extremely cautious after a couple of expensive flights.

Try this in this order:

A) advanced IMU calibration
B) Stick calibration
C) Turn controller on FIRST
D) Turn Phantom on
E) Do Compass cal

THe IMU & stick cal give your Phantom a ground zero starting point, plus you should never turn your controller on before you turn on Phantom.

Think he means always turn on your controller before the phantom lol and phantom off then controller when done

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2 Pro

scooter339 said:
I could also try testing return to home by shitting down the controller with the Phantom close by and 20 feet of the ground. I can bring it back with ATTI. I'm new clearly and I'm extremely cautious after a couple of expensive flights.

You mentioned that you're a newer pilot... are you still in Phantom mode or have you switched to Naza mode? imho, Phantom mode is better for newer pilots because ATTI / CL / HL can be more confusing. Are you aware that in Phantom mode (in which the RC toggle switches basically do nothing in flight) you can enable the right switch to kick in Failsafe mode WITHOUT shutting down the RC? You do this via the Phantom Assistant software on the Basic tab. Down at the bottom "Control Mode Switch" there's a toggle on the right that by default is Normal Fly. If you switch this to Failsafe, the right toggle on the remote in the full-down position triggers failsafe (during flight the green lights will start to blink yellow when FS is triggered)... of course you can deactivate failsafe and resume control at any time by toggling the switch back up.
I personally think this is safer than turning OFF your RC, and should make you more comfortable with "testing" failsafe mode at short distances which I would definitely recommend before you start using it at longer distances.
Where'd that 20 feet thing come from? Just as a friendly reminder, when failsafe is triggered:
If the Phantom is LOWER than 20 meters (not feet) it should ascend to 20m, fly back to it's home point, and begin a slow descent until it lands.
If the Phantom is ABOVE 20m altitude when FS is triggered, it will just fly back to it's home point and start descending.

remember, at any time you can just toggle the switch back up, the blinking yellow lights should immediately turn green and now you have normal control back.

I personally use this feature like a return-to-home autopilot if I don't feel like manually flying back and/or manually descending from 200+ meters which can get a little boring

ou mentioned that you're a newer pilot... are you still in Phantom mode or have you switched to Naza mode? imho, Phantom mode is better for newer pilots because ATTI / CL / HL can be more confusing. Are you aware that in Phantom mode (in which the RC toggle switches basically do nothing in flight) you can enable the right switch to kick in Failsafe mode WITHOUT shutting down the RC?

This information is very useful.Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the help.

As a result, the Phantom is holding a great GPS hover and the compass calibration is well within limits. I tested it and I couldn't be more pleased.

:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl