Has anyone used Drone Base?

I'm the OP for this thread. After a few days of discussion, I decided to give it a try...here's what I learned.

Completed two pano's so far, one residential, one commercial. The commercial paid $25 in a couple of days, still waiting (...under a week) for the residential. The residential was a little more challenging...cause to get a good beauty shot, you pretty much need to get over the property. Even though I was high enough to avoid any invasion of privacy issues (...couldn't see in the windows) it still worried me. The neighborhood was 'close in', so I expected a few questions from a neighbor or two but no one bothered.

The commercial property was a snap. A lot of space abutted by a parking lot. A couple of people watched, but no one seemed interested outside of normal curiosity..took all of 10-minutes to shoot. Easy peasy!

Concluions...

My guess is the commercials are a lot easier for DB to sell. That and the relative 'no brainer' shoot feels like a real go to for me so I've scheduled a few more this week while keeping a couple of residentials on the radar while I do some more research on these.

The $25 payout for pano's is still suspect. DB says it's a 50-50 split, but who really knows. It'd be nice to see a 'client mission' soon to see if that payout amounts to more than a stipend...so far, none in my area or even in a 50-mile area.

BTW...has anyone done a client mission yet?

My concerns about violating privacy issues are a little lower than when I first began this thread, but it is a bit of a legal grey area right now. I'm a career TV journalist, so this is what I know. You can photograph anything or anyone from a public easement i.e., sidewalk, or street. When you're on private property (...this includes parking lots for commercial property) the owner/manager has the right to ask you to leave. Air rights do not belong to the owner of the property below, however if you're photographs include people behind a fence or are close enough to a window to record anything inside, you're in violation of privacy laws.

Someone earlier suggested to do a quick meet 'n greet with the owner if it appears someone is home...I would tend to agree, but that's beginning to feel like a lot of effort for a $25 return.

...thoughts?

Client Missions dont exist. Not 1 available across the US.

Client Missions dont exist. Not 1 available across the US.

yeah, but on the website they still say they're in the mix...maybe they just haven't found any yet?

Hi. I just signed to comment on this thread. I've been doing Dronebase since the new pilot program... about 3 weeks now. I've done 14 missions and have gotten paid for all but 1 of them (although that mission is only a day old) averaging about $30 a mission. All the missions have been within a 10 minute drive of my home or within 5 minutes of work. Usually each neighborhood has 2 to 6 homes to do. It literally takes me 5 minutes per property. I've done 4 missions, including driving and finding the properties in about 45 minutes. With no editing, I upload them and they usually sell within the day. I think it's great. $100+ for less than an hour of "work" (I sit in my car while Litchi does the Pano too), is awesome.

I've never had anyone complain yet. A few neighbors have noticed, I told them what I was doing, and they were fine with it.

As for client missions, I email someone in the company quite regularly with questions and one of them was about client missions and they said there's not that many available now.

Reactions: Ike and Helihover
Hi. I just signed to comment on this thread. I've been doing Dronebase since the new pilot program... about 3 weeks now. I've done 14 missions and have gotten paid for all but 1 of them (although that mission is only a day old) averaging about $30 a mission. All the missions have been within a 10 minute drive of my home or within 5 minutes of work. Usually each neighborhood has 2 to 6 homes to do. It literally takes me 5 minutes per property. I've done 4 missions, including driving and finding the properties in about 45 minutes. With no editing, I upload them and they usually sell within the day. I think it's great. $100+ for less than an hour of "work" (I sit in my car while Litchi does the Pano too), is awesome.

I've never had anyone complain yet. A few neighbors have noticed, I told them what I was doing, and they were fine with it.

As for client missions, I email someone in the company quite regularly with questions and one of them was about client missions and they said there's not that many available now.

Me too as of now I've been paid for all my panos. It's a quick stop and go on my way to or from work... I've done a few on lunch, and a few at home in the evenings.

It's easy, fun and profitable

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Helihover
Still flying , looking for a commercial job.
The extra jack for about 8 minutes airtime is so worth it.
Just started, 11 accepted missions, one so far that did not pay.
Learned the hard way not to shut down bird too early.
Wait till pics finish syncing.
Trustworthy company.

Reactions: Ike
Me too as of now I've been paid for all my panos. It's a quick stop and go on my way to or from work... I've done a few on lunch, and a few at home in the evenings.

It's easy, fun and profitable

You do them in the evenings? They suggest doing them within a couple of hours of noon for best lighting. They were accepted and sold?

Just to be clear, everyone doing this has their remote pilot certificate or 333?

I believe their policy prohibits you from working for them without it.

So, they actually verify with the FAA before letting you fly?

I have no idea, but they stipulate it in their guidelines and you have to enter you're airman's' certificate number during registration. With all the pilot's they're subcontracting, I don't see how they can get away without checking.

You do them in the evenings? They suggest doing them within a couple of hours of noon for best lighting. They were accepted and sold?

Here in Oregon, the weather right now is horrible, it's dark by 4:30, yet I'm still out shooting. I've been paid twice now for shoots in the rain! One of the panos even had a visible water drop.... The lighting is pretty bad too overall, and yet they are still selling.

For every job? $25 a job. $10 an hour for Verify. Profit $15 a job?

Yeah I know...you haven't even factored in gas and occasional tolls. I'm not going to send the kids to college on this one, but I am building flight hours, which (...along with 107 cert) is very important to anyone hiring a pilot.

My first job for DB took me about 15-20 miles out of my way on a toll road. When I got there, a cold front moved in faster that forecasted and winds aloft were up to 20kts so I aborted, I returned the next day and got the shots. Now, I keep the jobs in close...5-10 miles and try and do them when I'm going to, or coming from somewhere else.

That said, I started this thread very skeptical about the model. I'm OK with it now, but once I get my website up I'll probably bolt.

I just signed up, to cold out right now. I will keep you posted on how everything goes .

I just signed up, to cold out right now. I will keep you posted on how everything goes .

Cool, good luck.

BTW, with all due respect, 'to', as used in your response should be spelled 'too'.

Just don't want you to loose business with bad grammar.

Reactions: microraptor

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic