Has anyone used Drone Base?

Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, this site encourages sUAS pilots to go shoot property and other locations 'on spec' with the hope that Drone Base can market the images on the back end. (...that's when you get paid)

IDK...shooting aerials of private property without prior approval seems a little off base especially considering the new FAA regs.

Am I missing something here?

DroneBase: Aerial Imagery and Data for Every Business

They've given me several jobs over the last 2 years. They give you some training on what they need, give you a long list of shots/clips to take and send you out. They review your stuff quick and pay quick. A+++ for them in my book.

I think their model may have changed since you last worked with them. Instead of 'giving' you the job, you're now asked to 'choose' a potential job (pano or client mission) from a map displaying a number of locations/properties. Pano missions have no guaranteed payout. These appear to be the 'spec' jobs. Client missions apparently have a guaranteed payout, but I've searched their map over the past few days and all I've found were pano missions. Additionally, they advise this on their FAQ page when shooting the pano missions;

"You do not need to shoot from the property. We advise that you take off from a safe, public area."

Again, this seems to imply that no one has prior clearance to shoot these properties. Sure, you can legally fly from a public area, but shooting the photos over private property without clearance could cause a problem with the owner, or insurance if there's a mishap which could easily occur if you're forced to execute aerial maneuvers around a building 1/2 mile away.

Reactions: Ike and shenzi105
Reactions: Ranch5
The client missions are still the same, guaranteed payout known up front. The pano missions are designed to be shorter and quick (approx 30 shots, no video) primarily of houses for sale, that drone base will try to market to real estate sellers, with a 50% payout to the pilot.

The client missions are still the same, guaranteed payout known up front. The pano missions are designed to be shorter and quick (approx 30 shots, no video) primarily of houses for sale, that drone base will try to market to real estate sellers, with a 50% payout to the pilot.

I get all that, but take a look at their new map of potential jobs...virtually no client missions, all pano's with no payout guarantee (...that's spec work) and no clear indication that you've been cleared to photograph what essentially is private property.

Im looking at possibly using this site. What exactly do I need to have to be paid - like licenses, what test to take and study for?

Im looking at possibly using this site. What exactly do I need to have to be paid - like licenses, what test to take and study for?

At the very least you'll need to obtain an FAA part 107 sUAS pilot certification.

Here's a link to get you started.
Becoming a Pilot

As I've stated earlier, I'm not to sure about the quality of Drone Base and their business model. It appears that most of the jobs they offer are purely on spec with no guaranteed of pay or commission. In other words, you go shoot the property send the photos to them and they'll try and sell them to the owner on the back end. That, in and of itself is not the worst thing, but it doesn't appear as if you'll have any clearance to photograph the property in the first place and that could cause problems.

Happy user here!

I gotta be honest when I first started a few weeks ago, I was skeptical. I've shot about 5-6 properties so far. The first 3 I goofed up on and didn't summit. The first one I summitted, I was payed in a few days.

Yes it is intimidating at first, but I've had nothing but positive come from this. Except the one angry neighbor who didn't want me parking my car in front of his house for 20 mins:). He said nothing about the drone. I've met 2 realtors, one of which I gave a card to, and have acquired some beautiful shots for my Instagram. Not to mention the experience. Not only flying experience, but people skill experience.

This is a great tool for someone looking to get into commercial work.

Reactions: Nick DroneBase
I signed up and it appears that they are using a robot to scan the web for real estate listings, which they then post as "pano" (spec) jobs. They are saying they will contact you directly if they have a "client" mission that they think you are qualified to do.

I shot a "pano" mission of a commercial lot at the corner of my neighborhood. It is literally a vacant lot at the corner of the shopping center, with a Goodwill sea-container on it as a donation drop-off location. I figured I would shoot it just to try it out, not likely anyone is going to purchase a pano of a vacant lot!

After submitting the photos on the web site, it said they would be processing them and get back to me. The status didn't change for a week, and I had about written it off when I got an e-mail Tuesday "We were able to successfully stitch together your pics from Pano Mission". It appears you can only view the result in their app, not on the website.

Later that day I got another e-mail saying I have $25 waiting for me to pickup. I am thinking that maybe they pay you right away for whatever your first submission is to get you "hooked" and motivated to do more spec pano missions?

DJI_0082.jpg

I signed up and it appears that they are using a robot to scan the web for real estate listings, which they then post as "pano" (spec) jobs. They are saying they will contact you directly if they have a "client" mission that they think you are qualified to do.

I shot a "pano" mission of a commercial lot at the corner of my neighborhood. It is literally a vacant lot at the corner of the shopping center, with a Goodwill sea-container on it as a donation drop-off location. I figured I would shoot it just to try it out, not likely anyone is going to purchase a pano of a vacant lot!

After submitting the photos on the web site, it said they would be processing them and get back to me. The status didn't change for a week, and I had about written it off when I got an e-mail Tuesday "We were able to successfully stitch together your pics from Pano Mission". It appears you can only view the result in their app, not on the website.

Later that day I got another e-mail saying I have $25 waiting for me to pickup. I am thinking that maybe they pay you right away for whatever your first submission is to get you "hooked" and motivated to do more spec pano missions?

View attachment 69312

OK...glad to see the positive outcomes. I'm already signed up so I'll give it a shot and report back.

I signed up but only saw pano missions, which I doubted would ever come to anything - anybody have any luck with finding client missions?

Gotcha. So sounds like it's worth it to do some panos to prove you know what you're doing. Thanks for the input!

Anybody used any software like Dronepan to do a pano for them?

Dronepan is free and absolutely a breeze to use; I've not tried a pano in Litchi to compare. I recall they gave manual instructions as to how to shoot a pano, but seems like an automated pano with some overlap would be the best bet...

Rocket, thanks to your input, I'm going to fly a few panos to put me on the map - makes sense that they want you to establish yourself with some cred before trusting you with a client mission! What can it hurt - it's not like I don't enjoy flying in the first place :)

Gotcha. So sounds like it's worth it to do some panos to prove you know what you're doing. Thanks for the input!

Anybody used any software like Dronepan to do a pano for them?

You don't need any software. They do all the editing. You upload 25 pics for the pano (12 level, 12 at 45*, and one straight down), and 5-6 shots from around the property.

I shot and submitted 2 more missions today for a total of 4. My PC, where I upload from, shows 4 missions complete while my app only shows one. Kind of weird. Anyway.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have received $25 for a pano mission (see post 11 above).

They say they will contact you directly if they have a "client" mission that they think you are qualified to do.

What was the nature of the property on the pano job you accepted? I'm a little concerned that some of the pano jobs appear to involve private property with no prior notification/clearance from the owner.

Reactions: Ike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers