GPS on wifi only iPad Air 2

I have an iPad Air 2 processor managing them all efficientally, inside my iPad Air 2 wifi only model. The tethering create no conflict and saves you the extra $150 for the cellular version ipad, plus the $10-$20 monthly fee for ipad data. Why pay that when you can tether for free with Verizion? I've been doing this and it runs flawless. Technically, the only reason you need to tether for data is to for dynamic home points, or so I've heard. I'll experiment and post the updates in a few days.

Using any kind of tethering or hotspot utilizes wifi and unless you're specifying that your hotspot run using the 5gjz band (which is possible) I'd avoid doing that as you seriously want the least amount of 2.4ghz signals around your Phantom 3 controller if you want to maximize range and reliability.

They all show direction of travel on the map. How else could it appear?
I have always been bad, for jumping into my hobbies and interests with both feet. Sometimes over my head as well.

Last summer, I went out to replace my Nishiki Bushwacker mountain bike, that had been swiped outside a community library. I returned home 'ryding'
a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S. ;-)

Anyways, I'm still considering to return this iPad 2 64GB Cellular for an iPad Air 2 128GB Cellular unit. Hahaha

No, I will restrain myself, some how.
Handcuff a wrist to the heat register, or something. ;-)

RedHotPoker

P3P's are easier to find in the dark, assuming the battery is still attached, and the LED's are flashing! ;-)

It still has not been established to my satisfaction with that a WiFi only iPad Air 2 can't reset the Home Point to the transmitter location with either a Blue Tooth connected external GPS (far more accurate than any other GPS) or a Hot Spotted iPhone 6+. The GPS chip in a cellular iPad Air 2 requires cell service for it to be accurate enough for a decent Home Point reset, as Apple calls it GPS assisted location service. If the Pilot app doesn't currently support using a more accurate BT connected GPS device to reset the Home Point to the transmitter location, a minor update to the app can easily fix that, and Bad Elf has agreed to help, if necessary.

The radar view is convient for direction positioning when your in camera view in the app incase you become disoriented.

Using any kind of tethering or hotspot utilizes wifi and unless you're specifying that your hotspot run using the 5gjz band (which is possible) I'd avoid doing that as you seriously want the least amount of 2.4ghz signals around your Phantom 3 controller if you want to maximize range and reliability.
How do you specify that your iPhone 6+ hotspot run using only the 5 Ghz band?
So, when flying from home, as long as the WiFi only iPad Air 2 is using the 5 ghz home WiFi, no transmitter or Lightbridge interference will occur?

P3P's are easier to find in the dark, assuming the battery is still attached, and the LED's are flashing! ;-)

It still has not been established to my satisfaction with that a WiFi only iPad Air 2 can't reset the Home Point to the transmitter location with either a Blue Tooth connected external GPS (far more accurate than any other GPS) or a Hot Spotted iPhone 6+. The GPS chip in a cellular iPad Air 2 requires cell service for it to be accurate enough for a decent Home Point reset, as Apple calls it GPS assisted location service. If the Pilot app doesn't currently support using a more accurate BT connected GPS device to reset the Home Point to the transmitter location, a minor update to the app can easily fix that, and Bad Elf has agreed to help, if necessary.
I think I need to start over....

I think I need to start over....
Bill, when your GPS arrives tomorrow my guess is that it will work perfectly with no interference and you will love it. I'm looking forward to your glowing review.

Reactions: JoBe
I have an iPad Air 2 processor managing them all efficientally, inside my iPad Air 2 wifi only model. The tethering create no conflict and saves you the extra $150 for the cellular version ipad, plus the $10-$20 monthly fee for ipad data. Why pay that when you can tether for free with Verizion? I've been doing this and it runs flawless. Technically, the only reason you need to tether for data is to for dynamic home points, or so I've heard. I'll experiment and post the updates in a few days.

Eager to hear about the results of your experiments. It is the resetting of the Home Point to the Transmitter location that is the challenge. If any iPad Air 2 can successfully do this, we are home free without needing cellular iPad Air 2's, even if we need an external BT GPS for location, or a HotSpotted iPhone 6+ for maps and location.

However, there still is no Dynamic Home Point yet available for any P3P. The resetting, where possible, of the Home Point to the Transmitter location is static, and strictly a manual operation that must be repeated manually, in order to keep it updated, if the transmitter location continues to move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
GadgetGuy,
Funny you should mention finding your Phantom in the dark, being easy.

The other night, very late, I was out in a near green space and flying my second battery I had decided to do some low flights, and had gone out a couple hundred feet, where I encountered a small hill. I decided to fly around it. But in doing so got myself behind a bush. From my perspective, it looked like I was already stuck in the branches. So I decided to cut the power, incase of further damage. The Phantom appeared to drop straight down, it was free. What a relief. When I got over the small hill, finding the Phantom was sitting upright on the ground, on it's landing gear, & still running at idle. ;-) hahaha, optical illusion much. I was behind the bushes all the time, Infact not even close to it. I learned my lesson, not to fly low, in the dark, without knowing your surroundings well. Lesson learned. Stuck.

I love flying at night. I never realized how awesome it could be, with the Phantom running lights so well lit up, you can fly a very long ways away, and still have LOS. It's awesome.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Oso
GadgetGuy,
Funny you should mention finding your Phantom in the dark, being easy.

The other night, very late, I was out in a near green space and flying my second battery I had decided to do some low flights, and had gone out a couple hundred feet, where I encountered a small hill. I decided to fly around it. But in doing so got myself behind a bush. From my perspective, it looked like I was already stuck in the branches. So I decided to cut the power, incase of further damage. The Phantom appeared to drop straight down, it was free. What a relief. When I got over the small hill, finding the Phantom was sitting upright on the ground, on it's landing gear, & still running at idle. ;-) hahaha, optical illusion much. I was behind the bushes all the time, Infact not even close to it. I learned my lesson, not to fly low, in the dark, without knowing your surroundings well. Lesson learned. Stuck.

I love flying at night. I never realized how awesome it could be, with the Phantom running lights so well lit up, you can fly a very long ways away, and still have LOS. It's awesome.

RedHotPoker
Indeed! The LED lights showing the nose orientation can be seen for "miles" at night, until you get the low battery warning at 30%, and they all turn red, with the rear lights flashing red, instead of solid green--a bit disorienting, just when you need to bring it back. Beware of bushes. They like to jump out and attack Phantoms! Low flying is the most dangerous. Objects are closer than they appear through a 20mm lens, and wires and trees are everywhere. I prefer flying at altitude above all terrestrial hazards. Helps with LOS and improves the range, too! My near 3 mile flight out was at 400 feet while I was at 225 feet above the surrounding terrain. No obstacles to obstruct transmission.

The radar view is convient for direction positioning when your in camera view in the app incase you become disoriented.
Or you can just turn on Course Lock and pull back on the right stick until you regain your bearings, as it comes back to you, while you can point the nose and camera in any direction of interest on the way back!

Bill, when your GPS arrives tomorrow my guess is that it will work perfectly with no interference and you will love it. I'm looking forward to your glowing review.
I think many of the potential interference issues have been exaggerated. After all, the cellular data connection in an approved cellular iPad Air 2 or an iPhone 6+ is always another source of interference itself! If you have to put it into Airplane mode to that avoid interference, too, you might as well have a WiFi only iPad Air 2 to begin with, and use an external more accurate BT GPS. If I am going to reset the Home Point to the transmitter location, I want the most precise location possible, which only an external BT Bad Elf Pro+ can supply!

Yep return and get the cellular model. You can also stick the sim from your phone into the iPad for when you want data on it. Or you can always cache the maps while you are on a wifi connection.
Don't need to get the cellular version. The dual gps blutooth addon works great and it's cheaper to buy the wifi only version and dual gps addon then buy the cellular version. Works great with the phantom 3 and works the same as the cellular version only cheaper.

Don't need to get the cellular version. The dual gps blutooth addon works great and it's cheaper to buy the wifi only version and dual gps addon then buy the cellular version. Works great with the phantom 3 and works the same as the cellular version only cheaper.
Have you successfully used an external BT GPS with the Pilot app on a WiFi only IPad Air 2 to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location?

Still haven't had anyone positively confirm this yet...although there must be a way, even if the Pilot app has to be rewritten to permit it!

No reason it won't work the same way as the cellular version with gps. I know I have tested it with Google maps and finding directions, etc and works as well as my Samsung s4 with gps on. It should work just as well.

No reason it won't work the same way as the cellular version with gps. I know I have tested it with Google maps and finding directions, etc and works as well as my Samsung s4 with gps on. It should work just as well.
Except if the Pilot app was written in such a way that it won't yet use it. Not every app that requires location data for certain functionality fully supports use of such data from an external GPS device, which is why Bad Elf publishes a list of those that have been tested with it and actually do. The Pilot app isn't on the list of supported apps, which would establish that it is a supported app. If it isn't listed, it may or may not work with the Pilot app. I haven't been able to get it to work yet, so I want to know if anyone has, in fact, actually gotten it to work: resetting the Home Point to the Transmitter location with a WiFi only iPad Air 2, and how?

According to the dual gps unit, it works with any app that uses gps. The only requirement is the dual gps app must be installed but does not need to be on. They say it works with any gps enabled software or any app that uses gps. The dual is by far the best.

I also have a wifi only ipad air 2 but frequently use a hotspot from my galaxy note 4 to pull map data. It would be nice if the GPS information from my phone could also be relayed to the iPad somehow. I guess if I need the transmitter orientation or the dynamic home point so bad I could just use my phone instead of the iPad =/

Will confirm it this week. Raining today, but give it a go when it's fine. Won't need to take off, should show if it works.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl