GPS on wifi only iPad Air 2

I almost hate to admit this to you.
Today, I am returning my iPad Air 2 16gb with Cellular, for an iPad Air 2 64gb with cellular. This will be my third iPad exchange. ;-)

First we had an iPad Air 2 16gb no cellular, then went to a iPad Mini 2 32gb with cellular, that got way too hot while flying the Phantom 3, exchanged for this iPad Air 2 16gb with cellular.
Oh well, we are eventually getting where I want to be. And if I can store a few of my edited 4K vids on the iPad Air 2, it will be marvelous.

RedHotPoker

I can set my home point and turn the phone,Hot spot, off and everything is good or I can leave the phone on and get all of the same features as an Ipad with cellular. I did not have to pay the extra money for a cellular Ipad.
Are you able to successfully change the Home Point to the Transmitter location in midflight with this setup?

The original Home Point location setting is based upon the P3P's internal GPS, and not the Transmitter, so while the HotSpot gets you maps at launch, it doesn't necessarily imply that it gets you Transmitter location during flight. Just seeking clarification. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes, that's when you want to do it.
Just Imagine walking around the area while flying, you don't want it to RTH way back there. But where ever you are at the present.

RedHotPoker

Yes, that's when you want to do it.
Just Imagine walking around the area while flying, you don't want it to RTH way back there. But where ever you are at the present.

RedHotPoker
So, did you opt for the Cellular version because you believe that you must have a cellular iPad Air 2 to be able reset Home Point to the Transmitter location? I have both an iPhone 6+ and a BT Bad Elf Pro+ and a 64 GB WiFi only iPad Air 2, and want to be able to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location in midflight, but still haven't yet positively received confirmation that anyone can do it without a Cellular iPad Air 2.

Any takers?:cool:

The 160 has a little better specs than the 150, but the veiwable screen is a definite plus on the bad elfs

The 160 is their equivalent of the Pro+, using GLONASS in addition to GPS for more satellites for faster acquisition and better accuracy. I use the Bad Elf Pro+ for golf with GolfLogix Club Tracking app on the iPhone 6+, as it has a 24 hour independent battery and an accuracy of 1 meter. Try that with an iPhone GPS only, which has a 15 second delay every time I access it, and up to a 25 yard inaccuracy at times, and requires cell service availability to enhance accuracy.

Are you saying the 160 is not very good? Hope not mine should arrive tomorrow.
No, I am sure it does the job. However, Bad Elf's Pro+ is a better value IMHO. More than twice the battery life, backlit numerical display of all data, and Bad Elf support is the best in the industry. When Apple killed off the Bad Elf Pro with the 8.3 iOS update, Bad Elf stepped up and offered all Bad Elf Pro owners the Bad Elf Pro Plus at half price, to get them through the 3 months it took Apple to remedy the problem Apple created, and finally fixed in iOS 8.4. I support those that support me! :cool:

Last edited:
Except, the cell phone Hot Spot also allegedly uses the same 2.4 GHz band, creating the same level of interference with both the transmitter and the Lightbridge video feed. Best to have a fast iPad 2 Air processor to manage them all efficiently!

Reactions: BenDronePilot
Except, the cell phone Hot Spot also allegedly uses the same 2.4 GHz band, creating the same level of interference with both the transmitter and the Lightbridge video feed. Best to have a fast iPad 2 Air processor to manage them all efficiently!
I have an iPad Air 2 processor managing them all efficientally, inside my iPad Air 2 wifi only model. The tethering create no conflict and saves you the extra $150 for the cellular version ipad, plus the $10-$20 monthly fee for ipad data. Why pay that when you can tether for free with Verizion? I've been doing this and it runs flawless. Technically, the only reason you need to tether for data is to for dynamic home points, or so I've heard. I'll experiment and post the updates in a few days.

Just to clarify, You don't have to buy a cellular plan to use the built in GPS.
It comes installed. Inserting a SIM card doesn't engage the software... It works out of the box.

RedHotPoker

Why the confusion?, GPS works without having a Cellular network.

So, did you opt for the Cellular version because you believe that you must have a cellular iPad Air 2 to be able reset Home Point to the Transmitter location? I have both an iPhone 6+ and a BT Bad Elf Pro+ and a 64 GB WiFi only iPad Air 2, and want to be able to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location in midflight, but still haven't yet positively received confirmation that anyone can do it without a Cellular iPad Air 2.

Any takers?:cool:

No I bought the cellular version, as that is the one that has the GPS with it.
So no need to cache maps from a WiFi hookup.

With your iPad version, afraid You can Not reset the home point to your transmitter radio, as there isn't the provision to do so without GPS. It's simple, answer is sadly NO.

You may Trade it in, Exchange it if new, or sell on eBay... Makes a very nice Gift.

I also love the iPad Air 2 Anti-Glare screen coating while flying under the glaring Sun star, and it runs cool with the power hungry Pilot app, even after two consecutive Phantom 3 flight batteries.

RedHotPoker

Bill,
If I may be so bold and ask you. Why is that Reset Home Point so important to you? It's a small feature, available in an already peripherally rich, Pilot App. Why does it appeal to you, so?
I think it's a great thing, if you are traveling as you fly, but I generally stay in one small area. So that one dynamic feature doesn't appeal to me, as much as several other parameters do. Anyway, something to look forward to, for you, I suppose that's only a good thing..
Funny how we always want what we can't have, then when we acquire it, rarely use it. Hahaha.
The next time I go flying, probably late tonight, I will take a 'short' hike too... Just incase, I better try that maneuver during daylight tomorrow. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Thanks for asking. I'd just like to have all features available for any situation. Also if I'm correct, to see the direction your p3 is pointed on the radar window, you'll need GPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl