GPS on wifi only iPad Air 2

How do you specify that your iPhone 6+ hotspot run using only the 5 Ghz band?
So, when flying from home, as long as the WiFi only iPad Air 2 is using the 5 ghz home WiFi, no transmitter or Lightbridge interference will occur?

On a jail broken iPhone using an app called MyWi it allows you to designate the Chanel number and a certain range of channel numbers apply only to 5.8ghz.

According to the dual gps unit, it works with any app that uses gps. The only requirement is the dual gps app must be installed but does not need to be on. They say it works with any gps enabled software or any app that uses gps. The dual is by far the best.
That claim still won't help if the current version of the Pilot app was written to only allow the Home Point to be reset to the Transmitter location, if the app is installed on a cellular device. The Pilot app can still use GPS and can still recognize the external GPS for map location, but may be coded to prevent using it for purposes of resetting the Home Point to the Transmitter location. Better to keep a known good Home Point, than to reset it to a potentially questionable new one from an external source. This is all speculation. Only testing will confirm it. So far, over the last 2 weeks, not one person has yet confirmed getting a WiFi only iPad Air 2 to be able to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location, despite all the speculation and theorizing and numerous threads created over this issue.

On a jail broken iPhone using an app called MyWi it allows you to designate the Chanel number and a certain range of channel numbers apply only to 5.8ghz.
Thanks for the clarification. Jail breaking my iPhone 6+ is a bridge I am not quite ready to cross yet, but it is intrguing.

Still wait'n on the mailman. He comes late on Saturdays. Hope I have time to check it out. Got to pack for a convention in San Diego all next week. Leaving early tomorrow morning.

It requires a separate data contract to use the internal GPS, which defeats the purpose of a WiFi only iPad Air 2. A BT connected Bad Elf Pro/Pro+ or XGPS 160 is a much better choice, needing no data contract, for GPS location data.

From a reviewer: "The MiFi 6620L is a solid performer and really works great in so many applications, however if it could have two more features it would be perfect. 1. Add Bluetooth so that the internal GPS receiver could be made available to non cellular devices such as iTouches and iPads, laptops without phone service.”...

Still wait'n on the mailman. He comes late on Saturdays. Hope I have time to check it out. Got to pack for a convention in San Diego all next week. Leaving early tomorrow morning.
You'll love San Diego! Lots of exciting drone flying opportunities! Kind of wet today, though. Should be clear flying next week!

Were you able to get all your questions answered on this topic or need some testing?

I have a wifi iPad Air and a couple Bluetooth bad elf units as well as a cellular iPad mini. Can try whatever you want if still needed.

I use the cellular unit when possible but the nice part of the bad elf is its far more precise, so if I set a home point it lands within 3' of where the GPS is. Sorta like a beacon.

As for folks talking about turning off their Bluetooth and this being a bad idea, don't frighten others needlessly please.

I also have a wifi only ipad air 2 but frequently use a hotspot from my galaxy note 4 to pull map data. It would be nice if the GPS information from my phone could also be relayed to the iPad somehow. I guess if I need the transmitter orientation or the dynamic home point so bad I could just use my phone instead of the iPad =/

It should transfer GPS to your wifi only iPad Air 2. My iPad Air 2 does not have cellular and transmits GPS location from my iPhone 6 when its tethered. Hell, once maps are downloaded and cached, I don't even tether my phone and GPS works fine. The cellular version of the iPad is just a waste of money if you ask me. The wifi only versions pick up GPS just fine. For example, I can pull up maps or google earth on my wifi only air 2 , select locate me and it will pinpoint my location as long as I am on wifi, or have an Internet connection. When flying out in the field, the phantoms GPS is all you need to see yourself (homepoint), and your bird on the cached maps.

Reactions: opyr8yr and AbsPapa
The wifi version while is all you need at the moment. It does not have gps, but getting coordinates from cell towers.

I have a blutooth gps and tried both. The blutooth gps is more accurate as its proper gps, so the pinpoint accuracy is far better then just the wifi version.

The Phantom 3 has gps built in, so using the gps in the phantom and places it correctly on the map.

Where you need gps is for dynamic home point and follow me when it becomes available. The wifi version only won't set dynamic home point or follow me when available.

For this you will need either the cellular version, or blutooth gps addon, which is cheaper then the cellular version.

The wifi version while is all you need at the moment. It does not have gps, but getting coordinates from cell towers.

I have a blutooth gps and tried both. The blutooth gps is more accurate as its proper gps, so the pinpoint accuracy is far better then just the wifi version.

The Phantom 3 has gps built in, so using the gps in the phantom and places it correctly on the map.

Where you need gps is for dynamic home point and follow me when it becomes available. The wifi version only won't set dynamic home point or follow me when available.

For this you will need either the cellular version, or blutooth gps addon, which is cheaper then the cellular version.

Trust me, my GPS on my iPhone 6 is pinpoint accurate.....and that is transmitted to my wifi only iPad Air 2, which makes my wifi only iPad Air 2 pinpoint accurate.

If the iPad Air 2 doesn't have GPS, then how does it locate you on Google maps, or Google earth when on wifi? If it didn't have GPS, then it wouldn't be able to locate you on wifi. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me and explain in detail.

Got my Dual XGPS 160 unfortunately I only had a few minutes to try it before going out of town. It tracked my movements on the app on the iPad Air 2 but when I tried the reset to home or reset to drone it gave an error that reset failed. It did ask to verify the distance from original position but would not do the position update.

Good morning everyone, I tested on an Air IPad 2 wifi, one Nokya GPS bluetooth I had stopped at home the time came that cellphones without GPS. I had to do the Jailbreak Ipad and adquirie Cydia GPS BTstack. I tested and seems to be okay. As there's not use the ground station not know how to and will behave the application to P3. But from what I noticed with various applications, BTstack the cydia seems like native GPS. When I have more details write again. Good flights to all.

Were you able to get all your questions answered on this topic or need some testing?

I have a wifi iPad Air and a couple Bluetooth bad elf units as well as a cellular iPad mini. Can try whatever you want if still needed.

I use the cellular unit when possible but the nice part of the bad elf is its far more precise, so if I set a home point it lands within 3' of where the GPS is. Sorta like a beacon.

As for folks talking about turning off their Bluetooth and this being a bad idea, don't frighten others needlessly please.
If you could confirm the results of my testing, that would be very helpful. By any means or combination of your above equipment, are you ever able to get the WiFi only iPad Air to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location? Try using either of the Bad Elf units connected to the iPad Air, and then use the cellular iPad Mini as a Hotspot for the iPad Air, and then try a Bad Elf and the Wifi Hotspot together. Then test the functionality using the cellular iPad Mini. If your results corroberate mine, only the cellular iPad Mini acting as the tablet should work to reset the Home Point to the transmitter location. The other methods will fail, with the error message, "Mobile device's GPS signal is too weak to reset the Home Point." Yet, the Bad Elf GPS signal will be used to show you exactly where it is on the map! No giant city block sized wifi-generated blue circle of uncertainty. A pin point sized blue Bad Elf generated dot replaces it. Both iOS Maps and the Pilot app are clearly displaying the precise GPS location data from the Bad Elf, but the Pilot app refuses to use that precise location to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location. It is clearly a Pilot app programming limitation, fixable by a single line of code, that Bad Elf can supply for free to the DJI Pilot app coders, and has offered to help with!

Mine got the signal but failed to update to new location. I didn't get a weak signal error message. It could tell I or the P3 had been moved.

Mine got the signal but failed to update to new location. I didn't get a weak signal error message. It could tell I or the P3 had been moved.
Yes, either way, erroneous weak signal message or not, it still fails to update the Home Point to the moved transmitter location, but it knows exactly where it is on the map. It's clearly a Pilot programming issue, and not a hardware or iOS limitation. Thanks for corroberating my findings!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl