GPS on wifi only iPad Air 2

Yes, either way, erroneous weak signal message or not, it still fails to update the Home Point to the moved transmitter location, but it knows exactly where it is on the map. It's clearly a Pilot programming issue, and not a hardware or iOS limitation. Thanks for corroberating my findings!
I need to do more testing when I get home. Also need to check with the seller and make sure I can return it if I'm not satisfied with the GPS unit. I asked him if it work with the dji pilot app before I received it and he said it would. I assumed he knew about dji. I brought the GPS with me to San Diego and tried it with google map and it was all over the place. On the other caned Apple map it was on spot. Not sure what's up with that.

I need to do more testing when I get home. Also need to check with the seller and make sure I can return it if I'm not satisfied with the GPS unit. I asked him if it work with the dji pilot app before I received it and he said it would. I assumed he knew about dji. I brought the GPS with me to San Diego and tried it with google map and it was all over the place. On the other caned Apple map it was on spot. Not sure what's up with that.
Forgot to mention I was pointing it out the 12flr window. That might have had something to do with it.

Forgot to mention I was pointing it out the 12flr window. That might have had something to do with it.
I can't really speak to the XGPS160 which I believe you bought, but any BT connected GPS is now recognized by iOS 8.4, so if the Pilot app doesn't use it, it's the Pilot app that is at fault, and not the device, or the iOS, or the iOS device. Apple Maps clearly sees the Bad Elf and displays its precise location. So does the Pilot app. The Pilot app still won't let you reset the Home Point to the known transmitter location, like the iPhone 6+ will, if it is used by itself as the connected tablet, but not if it is used as a Hot Spot for a Wifi only iPad Air, even when BOTH are connected via BT to the Bad Elf Pro+. Go figure!

It requires a separate data contract to use the internal GPS, which defeats the purpose of a WiFi only iPad Air 2. A BT connected Bad Elf Pro/Pro+ or XGPS 160 is a much better choice, needing no data contract, for GPS location data.

From a reviewer: "The MiFi 6620L is a solid performer and really works great in so many applications, however if it could have two more features it would be perfect. 1. Add Bluetooth so that the internal GPS receiver could be made available to non cellular devices such as iTouches and iPads, laptops without phone service.”...

Sorry but your post is complety wrong. Using your GPS receiver does not cost anything. It is completely free to make use of your devices built in GPS reciever. If you want cellular data service which not necessary, that of course you would have to pay for. Just cache the maps of the area you will be flying in while you're on a wifi connection first then no worries.

Sorry but your post is complety wrong. Using your GPS receiver does not cost anything. It is completely free to make use of your devices built in GPS reciever. If you want cellular data service which not necessary, that of course you would have to pay for. Just cache the maps of the area you will be flying in while you're on a wifi connection first then no worries.
I believe you may have have misunderstood my post. I was responding to another poster's suggestion of using a Verizon MiFi external data device instead, and that is a device that does require a cellular contract. It is not sold as a standalone GPS receiver, unlike the BT connected Bad Elf Pro, which is a standalone GPS and has no cellular capability.

Your device's built in GPS does cost an additional $139 for the cellular capability, whether you use it or not, over a WiFi only iPad. Apple characterizes the GPS in the iPad Air cellular units as "location assisted GPS" meaning that the GPS chip requires cellular service for greatest accuracy. While the GPS without cell service is reasonably accurate, nothing beats the accuracy of a BT Bad Elf Pro+, connected to either a WiFi-only iPad, or even a cellular iPad using cellular service. I know. I use my iPhone 6+ with a golf app for location data. When it is connected to my Bad Elf Pro+, it is far more accurate! Using the Bad Elf Pro+, the yardages are accurate to 1 meter. Using the iPhone 6+ alone,it is only accurate to 5-15 meters, which is a full club off on distances, and it takes 15 seconds to properly find itself on the course. The Bad Elf has no delay. If I am going to reset my Home Point to the transmitter location, I don't want it to be off by 5-15 meters. I want 1 meter accuracy, just like the P3P's setting of the original Home Point at launch!

Last edited:
I believe you may have have misunderstood my post. I was responding to another poster's suggestion of using a Verizon MiFi external data device instead, and that is a device that does require a cellular contract. It is not sold as a standalone GPS receiver, unlike the BT connected Bad Elf Pro, which is a standalone GPS and has no cellular capability.

Your device's built in GPS does cost an additional $139 for the cellular capability, whether you use it or not, over a WiFi only iPad. Apple characterizes the GPS in the iPad Air cellular units as "location assisted GPS" meaning that the GPS chip requires cellular service for greatest accuracy. While the GPS without cell service is reasonably accurate, nothing beats the accuracy of a BT Bad Elf Pro+, connected to either a WiFi-only iPad, or even a cellular iPad using cellular service. I know. I use my iPhone 6+ with a golf app for location data. When it is connected to my Bad Elf Pro+, it is far more accurate! Using the Bad Elf Pro+, the yardages are accurate to 1 meter. Using the iPhone 6+ alone,it is only accurate to 5-15 meters, which is a full club off on distances, and it takes 15 seconds to properly find itself on the course. The Bad Elf has no delay. If I am going to reset my Home Point to the transmitter location, I don't want it to be off by 5-15 meters. I want 1 meter accuracy, just like the P3P's setting of the original Home Point at launch!
Regarding iPads your devices GPS does not cost $139......your cellular device cost $139. Two completely different things.

I will be testing this week when I find time around work.

I can confirm with the dual gps addon I can adjust the homepoint manually. I can not only see the Phantom 3 where it is but also the blue dot showing the location of me and ipad and can also choose that location so can manually set my homepoint. So with the dual gps it works great.

It is cheaper to buy the wifi only ipad, then just get the dual gps add on than buy the cellular ipad version.

If you got the wifi version only and eventually we get dynamic follow me home points don't sell your wifi only ipad. Get the dual gps addon.

As far as I know, it's the only BT addon gps that works so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Got my Dual XGPS 160 unfortunately I only had a few minutes to try it before going out of town. It tracked my movements on the app on the iPad Air 2 but when I tried the reset to home or reset to drone it gave an error that reset failed. It did ask to verify the distance from original position but would not do the position update.
Got my Dual XGPS 160 unfortunately I only had a few minutes to try it before going out of town. It tracked my movements on the app on the iPad Air 2 but when I tried the reset to home or reset to drone it gave an error that reset failed. It did ask to verify the distance from original position but would not do the position update.

Have you got the app installed on your ipad? You need to have the dual gps app installed for it to work.

I have the xgps 150 and works perfectly with my Phantom 3 and can manually reset the home point.

You must have the dual app from the apple store installed, but does not need to be run, just installed.

There is an app for the xgps 150 model and the 160 model, watch what model app you install, the wrong one and it won't work.

Sounds like you have not installed the app as mine works perfectly with the Phantom 3.

Also you can navigate through Google maps with the wifi only ipad, but is not as accurate or update as fast as gps.

Or else there is another issue with your unit? It should work fine.

Last edited:
Yes, either way, erroneous weak signal message or not, it still fails to update the Home Point to the moved transmitter location, but it knows exactly where it is on the map. It's clearly a Pilot programming issue, and not a hardware or iOS limitation. Thanks for corroberating my findings!

The dual xgps 150 works great. Can change either the phantoms postion on the map or the tx postion and no error.

Works perfectly and can pick either home point with no issues. I even walkled around 6 meters distance away and still worked.

Have you got the app installed on your ipad? You need to have the dual gps app installed for it to work.

I have the xgps 150 and works perfectly with my Phantom 3 and can manually reset the home point.

You must have the dual app from the apple store installed, but does not need to be run, just installed.

There is an app for the xgps 150 model and the 160 model, watch what model app you install, the wrong one and it won't work.

Sounds like you have not installed the app as mine works perfectly with the Phantom 3.

Also you can navigate through Google maps with the wifi only ipad, but is not as accurate or update as fast as gps.

Or else there is another issue with your unit? It should work fine.
I have the XGPS 160 App installed. I'm still out of town at a convention .... Actually in UAV/Drone commercial use secession right now as I'm typing. When I get home I'll try it again. Sounds like it should work.

I have the XGPS 160 App installed. I'm still out of town at a convention .... Actually in UAV/Drone commercial use secession right now as I'm typing. When I get home I'll try it again. Sounds like it should work.

Should work. The xgps is the much dearer model. You got to watch as there are two model apps. One for the xgps 150 and one for the xgps 160. If the right one is not installed it won't work.

When the xgps is on and working on the map there should be two positions on the map indicated. The Phantoms home point and the tx which is a blue dot. I am sure if you click on the tx homepoint the dot changes to a green colour or a small green circle around it. I can change between each and no errors.

What about connecting the iphone6 to the tx so you have cellular and Gps. Then use the hdmi out board and get a hdmi to lightning connector for the air 2 to use as an external display.

Not sure if that would be practical or cost effective or even work but if someone has all the pieces it might be something to try

Got it to work with the XGPS 160 unit. I think it was you actually need to be flying before changing home location. I originally tried it with power on but not flying.

Reactions: Oso
I been using a Dual XGPS 150A for the past 3yrs, bought from Amazon around $70. It is extremely accurate, bluetooth (no wires) and works with 8.4 on ipad mini 2. I usually hotspot to download area map, use gps to get initial fix then shut everything off. I guess I could keep the gps on but I haven't reached a conclusion about BT interference, and I dont want to test it.

I can confirm with the dual gps addon I can adjust the homepoint manually. I can not only see the Phantom 3 where it is but also the blue dot showing the location of me and ipad and can also choose that location so can manually set my homepoint. So with the dual gps it works great.

It is cheaper to buy the wifi only ipad, then just get the dual gps add on than buy the cellular ipad version.

If you got the wifi version only and eventually we get dynamic follow me home points don't sell your wifi only ipad. Get the dual gps addon.

As far as I know, it's the only BT addon gps that works so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80

Is there anything that you need to do after connected the XGPS to the ipad? I hooked it up today and it seems to show "No positioning (ATTI) in the Go App. But i do see my location on the map and the maps are downloaded/cached. Is there anything i need to do with the channels within the apps?

Is there anything that you need to do after connected the XGPS to the ipad? I hooked it up today and it seems to show "No positioning (ATTI) in the Go App. But i do see my location on the map and the maps are downloaded/cached. Is there anything i need to do with the channels within the apps?
You need to also arm the motors before you can change the Home Point while testing functionality.

I been using a Dual XGPS 150A for the past 3yrs, bought from Amazon around $70. It is extremely accurate, bluetooth (no wires) and works with 8.4 on ipad mini 2. I usually hotspot to download area map, use gps to get initial fix then shut everything off. I guess I could keep the gps on but I haven't reached a conclusion about BT interference, and I dont want to test it.
With all due respect, that's a complete waste of time. If you aren't going to leave the XGPS 150A attached during flight so you can change your Home Point to a different transmitter location in flight, then you don't need it at all. The initial Home Point at launch is always taken from the internal aircraft GPS, and not the iPad. BT interference is also a nonissue. :cool:

With all due respect, that's a complete waste of time. If you aren't going to leave the XGPS 150A attached during flight so you can change your Home Point to a different transmitter location in flight, then you don't need it at all. The initial Home Point at launch is always taken from the internal aircraft GPS, and not the iPad. BT interference is also a nonissue. :cool:

I also sent you a PM-‘how does the XGPS 150a communicate with DJI Go?
I Just did a test with mine on my P for P and a new iPad that has both cellular and Wi-Fi. And even though I had strong GPS signals and 11 satellites showing with the GPS software I still had the same problem, the same “weak GPS signal” and “unable to reset the whole point” messages.

Last edited:
I also sent you a PM-‘how does the XGPS 150a communicate with DJI Go?
I Just did a test with mine on my P for P and a new iPad that has both cellular and Wi-Fi. And even though I had strong GPS signals and 11 satellites showing with the GPS software I still had the same problem, the same “we could GPS signal” and “unable to reset the whole point” messages.
PM reply sent. For those reading along at home, there must be a continuous BlueTooth connection to the iPad by the XGPS for it to be used as the GPS device. Make sure it is properly paired and connected under listed BT devices under the iPad Settings. Your cellular GPS chip should also be useable even without a cellular contract. Verify location data are turned on and being received the iPad by separately opening Maps in a remore area away from all WiFi, to see if it can pinpoint your location on the map, which will require GPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik