GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

How to improve a persons skills at flying. What should I practice doing and how?

Haven't read any previous posts so apologies if this only echoes what others have said

I think it's important to start with the basics though -

Consider weather - e.g. don't fly in rain, and don't fly in wind speeds faster than the Phantom can fly (might seem obvious but maybe not to a beginner)
Correct startup procedure
Awareness of no-fly zones and altitude limits for your country/region.
Basic manners and consideration to help ensure you don't p*ss anyone off whilst flying * (see below)
Basics of using the Go app, especially setting RTH altitude and initiating RTH from the RC if necessary
Compass calibration (if location has changed signficantly since last flight)
Any strong magnetic sources nearby?
Check GPS enabled before taking off
Basic manoeuvering
Flying FPV (e.g. awareness that objects are closer than they appear in FPV)

Then more advanced stuff like -

Plotting autonomous waypoint flights
POI, Course Lock, Home Lock
Flight techniques to improve video (e.g. smooth, slow movements)
Manual camera settings (ISO, shutter speed, etc).
Using ND filters and post-processing software to optimize footage

* And having seen some clips of Phantom pilots being confronted/attacked, how about some conflict resolution and self-defence classes. It'd help me anyway as I'm only 140 pounds :D

I would like to see a comprehensive course on every setting in the go app, explained in detail what the setting means, how it affects the control and flight of the Phantom, and suggested settings. Some of the settings are not explained well, or not at all. The more knowledge one has, the more enjoyable their experience is going to be.

Thanks for these contests...your generosity is admirable. I didn't know you got a commission from people clicking on links on your site...I just figured you were providing the links as a service. I'll definitely click through your site from now on.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/l/115-P4-Features

Here is my suggestion for the training program:

Agenta

Day 1

1. Short introduction about aviation modeling combined with aerial filming

a. History of the hobby

b. Security & Safety Concerns

c. Technology advances

d. Live exhibition of some models

2. Hands on phantom 3 and 4

a. Explanation of technology P3 & P4

b. Battery technology involved

c. Explanation of features P3 & P4

d. Security & Safety Concerns

e. Check list before flight

f. How to operate P3 & P4

g. FAQ P3 & P4

3. Basic Flying Practice on phantom 3 and 4

a. Appropriate Environment concerns

b. Appropriate equipment tablet/phone

c. Simple tasks take off/landing

d. Basic moves in transmitter

e. Basic features auto take off, RTH

f. Maintenance/storage after flight

4. Troubleshooting

a. Basic steps for each issue

b. Who to contact/consult

Day 2

1. Advanced Flying Practice on phantom 3 and 4

a. Multi flight features explained and practice

b. New phantom 4 features

c. No GPS flight

d. Camera filters

e. Theory & practice in shooting footages

f . Using FPV gogles

g. 2 or more phantoms simultaneous Flight concerns

2. End of Training

a. Certificate of program attended

First off, thanks for doing a giveaway! Very cool!

I'd be interested in a webinar/video series on flying techniques for video and photos. Helping users like me with no photography experience get better shots using our unique aerial platform. Secondly, I think video editing would be great. I'd like to see this in a more 'beginner' type format in respects to flying techniques and post editing. The art of making quick interesting videos/slideshows.
-Jesse

I would love to get training on the following topics:

• A visual demonstration of the different flying modes
  • Understanding flight logs and how to access them, upload them, view/read them
  • Registering your drone for commercial use
Would then love to have these lessons over something such as a Google Hangout.

Hello and id like to say thank you for offering and giving a chance to all of us to get the new P4 drone.

The course should first cover the FAA rules and guidelines and what to do in an emergency - csc and using prop guards around people.

Second learning to do GPS and compass calibration.

Third learning to safety check drone prior to flying ; prop check , level ground check , tree(s) check , wind check.

Fourth taking off shooting straight up instead of nice and easy , because of tip and prop wash.

Fifth landing , ground landing and hand landing(grabbing).

Sixth learning to use tilt /pitch with the camera, including demonstrating
ISO limit if they ask how to get the best picture. Along with nd filters for night exposures or daytime exposures.

Pretty basic, but used from the manual and these rules still stuck with me after 1 year of flying a p3 standard.

Hello msinger,
I would absolutely love to see an implementation of real world training courses put into play at all small municipal airports, where new pilots as well as experienced uav pilots could go, sign-up and get a good day or two of one-on-one training by a licensed pilot on things such as
rules and regulations for all pilots... Fixed wing as well as UAV including but not limited to "drones". Then have a specific area at the airport where they could "get behind the wheel" so to speak and get comfortable with their craft. The way this hobby is moving it could be lucrative
for the trainers and very informative for the pilots to be. It maybe could be so successful that bigger airports such as executive and international ones would adopt the training into their own airports.
Thanks!
Don Miller

I love the training ideas that are being mentioned. How about a platform to deliver those trainings? A gotowebinar for instance. 1 hour every couple of weeks. You could send out an email on what the topic will be for the next session/call, and those interested will register to be on it. You could end the call by taking live questions (typed into the chat box of gotowebinar). Also, if someone wants to be on the next webinar covering, let's say Litchi, but they have other commitments, you can record goto webinar and anyone that misses one can watch/listen to the recorded webinar at a later date. I have done these in the past, training on various topics, and doing them the way I mention above always received the highest number of attendees as well as positive survey results afterwards. I would definitely register to be on them and look forward to the various topics covered.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Personally I see this as having a couple of levels. Beginers, people just starting out, and then the more advanced users.

Phantom Pilot Training Program

DJI Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 essentials

Beginners
  • Quadracopter/drone basics, history, types, uses etc...
  • FAA regulations and local regulations. Local Airports? Registration!
  • Choosing a model? P3S/P3P/P3A P4, what are the advantages and disadvantages
  • Minimum requirements, mobile device, battery, case and other accessories
  • Unboxing and getting acquainted
  • Charging and Syncing mobile device
  • Upgrading Firmware
  • Controller and Camera and Gimbal operations
  • App overview
First Flight - Define Best Practice!
  • Define flight plan
  • Define pre-flight check list
  • Choosing where to launch from, level ground no obstructions.
  • Wind and atmospheric conditions, is it safe to fly?
  • Contact local Airports if within notification range.
  • Performing pre-flight check list
  • Power on
  • Check mobile device
  • Calibrate compass
  • Check GPS lock
  • Initiate launch
  • Hover at 4 feet to confirm app status, and health of Phantom
  • Initiate flight plan
  • Return to home point at 50% battery life
  • Shut down and vehicle inspection
  • Define best practice for battery conditioning
Advanced Flights - Continue to define Best Practice!
  • Build upon first flight steps
  • Expand flight plan
  • Incorporate Camera into flight plan
Advanced Camera
  • Define Best Practices
  • Use of still shots
  • Use of video
  • Utilizing filters
  • Editing video
Hobby or Commercial uses
  • Keeping happy neighbors
  • Where is it ok to fly?
  • Drone Etiquette
  • Selling drone services. What does that mean to me?
  • Do I need a pilot license?
Mishaps
  • Broken props
  • Cracks
  • Crashes
  • Fly Aways
  • Repair options
  • Best Practices on battery health
  • Best Practices on prop installations
  • Best Practices on Phantom inspections
  • Best Practices on flying without GPS lock
  • Best Practices on Return To Home triggers
  • Best Practices on Phantom tracking options
I'm not participating, honestly don't want a p4 well not yet. Anyway, after reviewing the entrees. I think this one hit it on the nail. Jmo!

Topics....
General.....The set up, prop installation, battery tips and installation/battery top off before flight.
RC linking, understanding uplinking and downlinking and minor troubleshooting.
Issues with flying in heavy rain/ snow/ high winds.
General camera settings and some tips to good videography including the Reveal, Slide, etc.

Safety......Topics on where to find info for safe flying whether it be meteorological, TFR, NFZ, etc.
The public safety and consideration during operation.
Is hand catching for you?

Airmanship.........
All the how to concerning actual flying for the purpose of videography including simple pleasure flights.

Care and Maintenance.....
General how to on cleaning, preflight tips, prop balancing, tracking options for lost bird, what issues to watch for and how/when to repair/replace or calibrate.

I would do the following:
Web based on line course. You can take it any place in the world.
First, a prompt page where you select your interest or classes you are interested in.
You can charge by module, and get a special price for x number of classes.
Second, I 'd gather good pilots ( from this forum) to prepare the classes based on experiences. I'd provide a guideline and template of the way the material should be organized.
Third, I will market the site.

Just an example, I could prepare a class or module on how to use basic photoshop to improve Phantom pictures, or 1 2 3 to create a panorama. There is a lot of talent in this forum. Some people, I am sure, will be willing to share their use experience dealing with our wonderful hobby.
Other topic, how to start your commercial business. I am sure there are many lawyers in the forum. We also have engineers, retirees, pilots, etc who can teach basic classes, or advanced classes.
Net net, in a world that is moving to cloud and social media, we could have a cloud of classes and a network of experts available to the new or experienced user. The other way is to spend hours and hours browsing you tube and blogs in order to learn. If you see value,then, you will use this Phantom Cloud.

Regarding the delivery way, I love the how to or review youtubes, specially the short and to the point ones.

People at the forum have covered most of the needed topics. One I want to emphasize is the correct settings and best practices at using our camera.

If you want more details, pls, pm to me. Thanks for the opportunity to share ideas,
Lou
P.S: almost ready to retire, and looking to this passion to enjoy retirement. By the way, your site phantomhelp has been extremely useful for me as I know that if the link is there, it is serious, trusted and is not a scam.

Last edited:
I won't do a full list of everything that could be covered as it could be endless, and some of the lists already mentioned are quite comprehensive. Rather, below are a few things that seem to have many people (including myself on occasion) either scratching their heads in confusion, or banging their heads against a wall out of frustration.

-How to adjust control gains to have smoother, more professional panning and gimbal control.

-When to replace props; there have been a number of members who have had minor incidental prop contact that left visible marks, but didn't know whether or not it warranted replacement.

-How to assess and understand diagnostic information from the flight records; I only recently started uploading log data to healthydrones.com, but quickly found out the vast information at one's disposal that sits inside the log files to assess the health of the battery (e.g., major vs. minor cell voltage deviations), signal quality, GPS satellite count, etc.

-Limitations of our phantoms, both physically (e.g., flight ceiling, fighting winds, RTH speeds vs. battery consumption) and legally (e.g., FAA regulations, the jurisdiction of local law enforcement/officials, and the legal requirements to use them privately and/or commercially)

-Traits of the LiPo battery, how it's affected by temperature, self-discharging, and how to maintain them between flights

-Which environmental factors impact range (e.g., local wifi, humidity, etc.) for the different signal types (e.g., wifi, LightBridge, etc.), and how to mitigate/reduce the impact on operation

-How to access this site for information, and how to use the search function! :)

I am a new pilot as of Christmas 2015 I think you need to consider your audience there are folks who are visual learners and would do well with a YouTube class broken into logical steps or chapters with tutorial videos similar to DJI's introductory videos. There are those who read and learn well and finally the folks that are hands on or a mix of the above. I believe the training will need to cover beginner intermediate and advanced skills and be broken into selecting and purchasing, this could include a brief history of drones and the different platforms racing, low cost toy, camera, etc... Then get into basic safety and flying move to basic photography how to take a pic video etc... Maybe some of the accessories ones that are essential ones that are needed to up you photo and video game and cover long range flying mods antennas batteries. When you get into the more advanced photo and video you can touch on editing but that in its self is a book as there are multiple programs, platforms etc... May be a good one to outsource to what's out there if you find one you like. I think there needs to be a chapter on maintenance and repair, how and when to deep cycle batteries what to do after a crash how to repair a fumble etc... Maybe a section on software DJI's go and the other programs available with pros and cons. Maybe cover updates and what to do with all the data these things collect and how to do it healthy drones and the other programs available to read DAT files. I think a reference section with maps of the DJI go menus would be helpful maybe a list of links as you already have for parts, tools, software and advice would be helpful. As I write this list of stuff I see this as a huge project and commend you for taking it on and all you have already done. I would recommend you crowd source and leverage all the smart folks on this forum their advice and wisdom has kept me out of trouble so far. Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Important Points for me:
1. Every nook and cranny of the dji go app. How everything works.
2. When, where, and how to calibrate the compass.
3. Being responsible. I think that this is more important than any technical information you could teach. Knowing how to fly safely and responsibly is key for any new phantom owner because, like it or not, the moment someone purchases a drone, they represent the hobby/industry and what an individual does with their drone will influence the way people look at us as a whole. Although UAS technology becomes more and more accessible by the day, it is relatively new, and will experience growing pains. So anyone who buys a phantom becomes a pioneer and an advocate for the hobby. And because they are part of something bigger then themselves they need to be guided and helped while a beginner.

I think you need to show how to fly indoors and edit videos, also how to use the new tracking features. A lot of people try to fly the phantom 3 indoors and don't succeed.

Hello folks , I have joined and read just about everything in this site, and it is amazing. To be honest I do not own a phantom drone, I do however do own a 2.0 ar drone. I also own a couple of other cheaper drones that are more like a toy than any thing else. But I have flown it hard and strong for several years. I actually found this site wanting to upgrade to a better drone. I knew they were newer and better drones outhere. I was just satisfied with the ar drone.
As I said I have been all over this site learning and reading everything about flying drones. I never mentioned I owned a ar drone, kinda embarrassed with all the great ones outhere. I have been saving my money for the phantom 3, in fact I have the bones for it now. I have read the manual front to back. I'm in this site everyday and I'm amazed at what a quad can do.
What I like most about this site is the training you can get flying long range, that alone is what keeps me coming back and back.
But there is a bad side, I cannot fly in my area, there are two airports, and no park flying, in fact I'm in a area that I flat cannot take it out of the box. But I still read this site everyday as if I have been flying a phantom 3. Does not matter this site is amazing.
What I do as another hobby is I fly a simulator. I had to break it down due to space.
But it was a 8 monitor, 5 computer set up.
It was networked together. I flew a 767, a Cessna. I flew a sim for years, learning all about the rules of flying, and air space. I did whatever the big boys did but in a sim.
What is the most fascinating thing I like about the new drones is flying long distances, and just looking at your monitor.
To me that's like really flying a airplane. Your at the controls while your flying your machine 1, 2 miles out than return.
My health would not allow me to fly a real plane, but I know how to fly thru a sim and I know the rules of real fight.
Even though I do not own a phantom yet, rest assured I cannot wait to fly one just as if I'm flying for real.
Now that the P4 is out I'm going for that one.
The p4 seems to be the bird for me, I will treat it like it s and airplane.
I would like to see a professional check list.

Red Tags on various sections of the quad to pull off before flight.

Make sure before you take off, that all checks have been made.

Absolutely know the environment you are flying in.

Make absolutely sure there are no children in the area, or pets. Or secured.
As for me I believe I'm going to order the P4.
I truly understand that this is not a toy, and is to be treated like a real airplane.
I'm going to take my time, and enjoy my future quad, and this site has helped me lower the learning curve.
So folks that's my two cents, the phantom 4 will be the beginning of a great new hobby.
My wife and I are looking for another small home in a area I can enjoy my hobby, she's amazing.
Thanks.......Robert

Greetings msinger,
Thank you for the wonderful and thoughtful opportunity you are providing to the members of this forum!

Preface:
When considering a training program for the Phantom 3 and 4, the first thought that comes to mind is; these two marvels are different and alike, thus adding a challenge for building a program that will combine their similarities with a path to their respective differences.

My personal interests is making better video. Specifically, how to script a flight for a quality production. Great video is the the biggest reason to own a Phantom and I would really love to maximize my shots in a way that would hold the attention of my audience. Albeit fair to say that much can be done in the cutting room, it is better to start with quality clips. For me, it is not enough to just take a picture or a video of a really nice place, I have done that many times, but I would really like to see some recommendations on how to best explore different environments in ways I hadn't considered. I suppose you could call it a lesson in cinema photography, but isn't that what the phantom is all about. The bottom line for me is, I really want to make great video and I believe that others share the same desire.

The how:
I personally like the idea of a series of topics built from clips, documents and cookbook pages on how to. Of course this would be a bit much for any one person to take upon by themselves, but then you are not alone. Including yours truly, you have an entire forum of persons that could submit topics for your approval. A front end webpage that could evolve far beyond what anyone has conceived or built. Example of like topics could include but are not limited to:
Safety first
Care for your Phantom.
Sensors explained.
Software controls.
Hardware controls.
Is it safe to fly today.
Is it safe to fly here.
Preflight check.
Landing, (auto vs manual)
Basic flight
Landing in an emergency.
Monitoring your battery.
Use and affect of ATTI mode.
Third party software.
Use of Filters.
Picking the right lighting.
Optimum speed for affect
Etc.

Thank you for taking the time to make this much needed production. I look forward to the opportunity to be both student and mentor.

Great idea.
I think one of the most useful training objectives would be "crisis management". What I mean by that is what do I do when the unexpected happens! I think everyone can benefit from this. From new uses to old hats. New users will learn what to do if you loose video(don't panic!). What to do if the bird does this or that unexpectedly. A lot of people read he manuals and a lot don't. Even if you read the manuals most of the time it will not help you deal with the unexpected events. We have all read on hear the "fly always" that after reviewing the healthy drones reports there was an unexpected control input from the user or they did this or that which ended up being the wrong thing to do. This would be very helpful.
Second objective I think would be a major help for most people is how to do a correct pre-flight. A full checklist training syllabus going through everything that should be done before flight. This will not only weed out a lot of potential issues but at the end of this objective trainees can have the checklist to use from that point forward and hopefully avoid potential crashes or loss of aircraft. The other objectives that would be nice for all skill levels would be U.S. travel requirements/tips, country entrance requirements/fees, etc.... The rest of the class can focus on other general issues. Good luck and great idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl