FYI......Autopilot for DJI 2.0 (24)

Had a flight with the current build of 2.1 today, in particular cruise mode, I was not in the largest of areas to really play with the Pitch, Roll and Yaw strategy but I was able to use it long enough to see how useful it could be. Also worth mentioning is that while I was never really plagued with video issues with the software decoder on my iPad Mini 4 the hardware video decoding does work extremely well and other improvements such telemetry changes and ability to prevent the gimbal from reseting on disengage is a nice touch.

Its great to see more modes but also existing modes and options being improved to continue to polish this app.

How do I get 2.1?
Just sent out 500 more invites to the beta testers on the waiting list. Enjoy!

Any ETA on when this version will be released?
Sorry to not answer the question. The target is to have it released before the end of the month. That is, before the new firmware comes out since it breaks backwards compatibility.

Man this app gets better and better by the day... Once waypoint mode arrive this will become my number 1 app. :)
Glad you like it! There are a few other features that need to be put in place before we can release Waypoint Mode, such as switching to Google Maps and Saved Mode Controls, but then we will release it.

Do any of these new modes make it possible with the P3 to set a course and be able to pitch and yaw during flight? Similar to how the Inspire 1?
You can select Joystick Focus Strategy in any Computer Flight Control Mode to achieve this behavior.

I still have no true idea what "Cruise Mode" offers.
It may be easier to explain by example. Each example will have a description, and then a screenshot showing the controls in Cruise Mode that will accomplish the described behavior.

Example 1: Focus-like Behavior for Phantom 3
While Autopilot can pitch and yaw the gimbal in Focus Mode on the Inspire, this doesn't help keep the Focus Subject center framed for Phantom users. Cruise Mode can now allow you to still fly the aircraft with the RC joysticks (altitude, pitch, and roll), while it handles the yaw and gimbal pitch.
IMG_2820.PNG

Example 2: Long Distance Flight
Do a long distance run without cramping your thumbs.

Fly due north as fast as you can at 200ft.
IMG_2813.PNG

Fly back to the Focus Subject (operator) as fast as you can:
IMG_2814.PNG

Example 3: Smooth, Straight Descent
Execute a perfectly straight flight path due east at 20 mph while slightly descending. Control the aircraft yaw (or gimbal yaw on the Inspire) and gimbal pitch by using the right RC joystick to manually set the video framing during the flight.
IMG_2823.PNG

Example 4: Complex Maneuver
Execute an ascending corkscrew maneuver to record a long-exposure still photo at night with glowsticks.
IMG_2819.PNG

Example 5: Panorama
Execute a constant panning motion at 100ft while continuous photos is enabled.
IMG_2824.PNG

Last edited:
@autoflightlogic
Do you have a picture example for #4? I'd like to mimick your example when testing. Sounds like a really cool feature. Glad you guys were able to work around the DJI limitations to get a better "focus" product for P3 [emoji6]

Heading out to test 2.1 then heading home to upload logs to healthydrones.com! Thanks autopilot for your quick responses and add ons!

Used Orbit around Michigan State Stadium. Experienced quite a bit of frame lag. Was still able to orbit 3 times and different altitude and radius. I'll check the video later.

Can I check my mod levels on 2.1? Also as far as weak rc signal. The border turns red?

Used Orbit around Michigan State Stadium. Experienced quite a bit of frame lag. Was still able to orbit 3 times and different altitude and radius. I'll check the video later.

Another issue I was experiencing was being able to see my landing gear over 10mph, only for a few seconds. Maybe a setting, or wind and speed combined? Almost like the camera was not keeping up.

Brian-

I realize you already sent these same questions to [email protected], but since they were posed here as well, I want to post our response so others can see.

I assume you left the hardware decoding enabled? What type of iOS device are you using? Does it happen all the time and/or do you have a consistent way to reproduce this? All other users have reported that the frame lag in 2.0 has disappeared in the 2.1 update.

Can I check my mod levels on 2.1?
Most settings like this have to be done in the DJI GO app right now. We are open to adding more things like this in to Autopilot (to be honest camera settings are what people want the most), but for the next few releases we are concentrating on features that are not already in GO as that is what differentiates us from the pack, and there is a workaround in the meantime.

Also as far as weak rc signal. The border turns red?
Not right now. What qualifies as a weak signal? Do you want to be able to configure a percent?

Another issue I was experiencing was being able to see my landing gear over 10mph, only for a few seconds. Maybe a setting, or wind and speed combined? Almost like the camera was not keeping up.
Is this issue unique to Autopilot, or does it happen when flying manually / with DJI GO as well? In the end Autopilot is limited by the hardware limitations of the aircraft and environment conditions, such as wind. You can govern Autopilot by choosing higher values for certain settings like movement responsiveness, or slower closing speeds in Modes that allow speed input, which will result in less tilt of the aircraft, and thus make it less likely to see the struts. If you are using a Phantom 3, you might want to consider upgrading to the Inspire 1 for the retractable gear.

As for the camera not keeping up, you might want to try a lower value for the gimbal responsiveness.

What does hardware decoding really do? On my iPad mini 4, I notice no difference with it on or off, not on AutoPilot, not on DJI Go. Is this for older tablets? Or just for newer ones?

What does hardware decoding really do? On my iPad mini 4, I notice no difference with it on or off, not on AutoPilot, not on DJI Go. Is this for older tablets? Or just for newer ones?
You may not notice a difference on screen with new hardware as the processors are much faster. You may notice, however, that your device operates at a much lower temperature as the processor is no longer railed.

You may not notice a difference on screen with new hardware as the processors are much faster. You may notice, however, that your device operates at a much lower temperature as the processor is no longer railed.
So conclusion is: always switch it on, then?

iPad Air 2, yes the hardware decoding was enabled. A percentage sign for the weak rc would be awesome... This is the first time I have ever seen the landing gear in the video, at any speed, app or conditions.

cruise mode works really well on the p3 to keep focus while flying. I'm surprised how little latency there is when sending commands from stick => app => AC.. One issue, and it's a P3 limitation, is that it is very difficult to actually because the p3 is constantly changing the yaw to keep for the subject in focus. for example, if you fly towards the POI, AC heading is forward and you go forward by pushing right stick up. However, once you pass the POI, the AC will yaw 180 degrees to keep the POI in focus. now the AC is facing backwards so if you keep pushing up, wouldn't it now fly back towards you?

is it possible to do pseudo-course lock so that the orientation is always the same regardless of the AC yaw?

Working on the issue now. Stayed tuned for the next version.
Ok, uploading build 43 now. There is a new control in Cruise called Pitch / Roll Joystick Orientation:
  • Aircraft (default) - As if you were flying the aircraft manually with the joysticks
  • Device - As if the front aircraft is pointed in the same direction as the iOS device
  • Bearing - As if the front of the aircraft is pointed in the same direction as bearing angle between the iOS device and the aircraft
  • Absolute - As if the front o the aircraft is pointed toward a specified direction

Ok, uploading build 43 now. There is a new control in Cruise called Pitch / Roll Joystick Orientation:
  • Aircraft (default) - As if you were flying the aircraft manually with the joysticks
  • Device - As if the front aircraft is pointed in the same direction as the iOS device
  • Bearing - As if the front of the aircraft is pointed in the same direction as bearing angle between the iOS device and the aircraft
  • Absolute - As if the front o the aircraft is pointed toward a specified direction
Can you clarify how one would use the bearing option. I understand the other 3

Can you clarify how one would use the bearing option. I understand the other 3
Bearing is effectively the same as device, if the device is pointing in the direction of the aircraft. For cases where you can't see the aircraft, bearing can be useful to use as a "come back to me" option.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic