FYI......Autopilot for DJI 2.0 (24)

Reaction score
FYI

Autopilot for DJI 2.0 (24)

Auto Flight Logic LLC has invited you to test Autopilot for DJI for iOS with Apple Watch.
You can accept this invitation with the Apple ID that you are currently using. Your Apple ID and the email address to which the invite was sent don't have to match.
To accept this invitation, you must have TestFlight installed on your iOS device.

spacer.gif

We are pleased to announce that the beta test Autopilot 2.0 is ready to begin!

You should receive an email from Apple's TestFlight program with installation instructions within a few hours. This version includes significant changes from v1.1, the most notable of which includes support for additional aircraft types and point-of-interest selection. For a full list of all of the changes from v1.1, see below.
Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Users

Before installing and running Autopilot 2.0, make sure to update to the beta version of the firmware for your aircraft type. The firmware must be installed on both the aircraft and the remote control.
Download Beta Firmware
Feedback Time Limit
Due to the overwhelming interest in our beta test, we require that you provide feedback by the end of the day on Sunday, July 26th. Anyone that does not provide feedback within this timeframe may be bumped to the waiting list to make room for other testers that are currently on the waiting list. Use the following link to provide feedback, and be sure to use the same email address that this email was sent to when filling out the survey.

Provide Feedback
Full Changelog
  • Added Aircraft Types
    • Inspire 1
    • Phantom 3 - Professional
    • Phantom 3 - Advanced
    • Phantom 2 - Vision
  • Modes
    • Added Zip Line Mode
    • Updated to allow points-of-interest for Focus subject, Hover mark, Orbit center, and Intercept origin
    • Updated to allow RC as a location source (Inspire 1 and Phantom 3)
    • Updated the default altitude to 50 feet and default distance to 100 feet
    • Updated controls to display as a scrollable list with a show/hide advanced button
    • Added location offsets
    • Added an option to set angles to based on the current device heading
    • Added an option to set angles, distance, and altitude based on the current aircraft position
    • Added Focus Mode Control for strategy, including subject, direction, and manual (Inspire only)
    • Added Focus Mode Control to allow altitude offset for Focus POI
    • Updated Orbit Mode to specify speed in terms of percent instead of a leading angle
    • Updated Orbit, Zip Line, and Mimic Mode to allow 5 free trial flights
    • Updated Intercept Mode controls to disallow setting a Direct Distance smaller than the Min Altitude
    • Removed Mimic Mode Max Tilt control
  • Flight Dashboard
    • Redesigned to include information-dense telemetry tapes
    • Redesigned the Engage Sequence to allow opening the Flight Dashboard before engaging
    • Updated the Engage Sequence to disallow running Modes that require location when location is not available
    • Updated Engage Sequence to handle selection of new altimeter reference types
    • Updated to allow landscape orientation, even on small devices
    • Added map lines for aircraft to device, home, target destination, Focus subject, Orbit circle, and Zip Line A to B
    • Added aircraft home point map marker and go-home circle map overlay
    • Added aircraft field of view map marker to indicate the direction of the gimbal
    • Added latitude and longitude to all map markers
  • Settings
    • Added dynamic home location setting
    • Added continuous photo capture setting
    • Added max vertical power setting to control ascent and descent rates (only available on P3 and Inspire 1)
    • Added movement and gimbal responsiveness settings to control how abruptly the pitch, roll, and yaw can change when starting, stopping, and changing course
    • Added sensitivity settings to control movement yaw and gimbal pitch / yaw
    • Added default view setting to start the Flight Dashboard in map vs camera mode
    • Added target settings to control max distance and altitude priority
    • Added Mode Control settings to choose the range for the altitude and distance sliders
    • Added Flight Dashboard theme settings to select a light style (high contrast)
    • Added Telemetry Detail Level setting to change how much telemetry is displayed on the Flight Dashboard
    • Updated Discard Audio on Disengage to enabled by default
  • Miscellaneous
    • Removed the GPS-only hardware requirement as users can now install Autopilot on iOS devices without GPS support
    • Enabled RC as a location source, even when P3 is selected since the user could be using an Inspire RC
    • Updated to start location updates before connecting to the aircraft to facilitate point-of-interest selection
    • Added data logging (settings, telemetry, commands, controls), which can be disabled in settings
    • Disabled idle timer while engaged (to keep screen on and unlocked)
    • Added Apple Watch support (quick disengage and telemetry summary)
    • Updated splash screen logo
Copyright © 2015 Autoflight Logic, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up for the Autopilot beta test.

Our mailing address is:
Autoflight Logic
PO Box 161914
Austin, TX 78716

Last edited:
Reactions: lenmcgilvary
I'm in the beta group....loading firmware now for a test flight b4 night!! Will post feedback

Does anyone know if one can still use the DJI pilot app if I install new beta firmware. I'm a little nervous and apprehensive to do.

Does anyone know if one can still use the DJI pilot app if I install new beta firmware. I'm a little nervous and apprehensive to do.
Yes you can. In fact you need to use the DJI app to do all your utility functions (IMU, compass, camera settings, expo, etc)

Ok, after loading firmware, IMU, compass, resetting my preferences...had about 30min of daylight to test.....
Let me say the app is a little overwhelming with all the options and settings. However, once you master it, it looks very promising.
Test 1a: iPad mini3 no cell/GPS- tried hover function. Works but altitude is a bit confusing. Finally figured out it uses height based on power on location. However I had move 10-20ft lower at this point.
Test 1b: tried follow me function. Seems a bit erratic without GPS on iPad. My Location varied on map and couldn't seem to get it to line up exact distance from me to follow. Kept flying away from me until I intervened and stopped. Tried bearing angle settings/etc. to no avail. I guess I'll need to RTFM for a fourth time [emoji21]
Test 1c: orbit around me. Set distance to 60 feet. It orbits, but seemed to orbit in a wavy pattern (in/out) vs straight circle. I've seen this in their demo videos also. I think it works better if the distance is greater.
Test 2a: used iPhone 6+. Orbit around me. Same parameters as with iPad mini, but seemed to keep me closer within its view. Still orbits in a bit of a wavy pattern.
Test 2b: orbit a POI based on selected location. Set distance to 70. Almost crashed due to altitude setting. With the iPhone, you can select the basis for your altitude setting (iPhone barometer, power on location, etc). I decided to select the iPhone barometer, but didn't fully understand this option. I was located at a lower elevation than before so the bird dropped lower than expected.

Long story, lots to learn about this app. Reading just doesn't cut it. It's going to require some trial and error to get the hang of all the features are options. But to their credit, you can hide advanced features and they have explanations on the screens as you step through it.
So far only negative is you have to make all your camera setting adjustments from the DJI app. No fine tuning anything except exposure once in their app.

Here is a partial video of test 2b after getting setting correct. I set Orbit to POI directly below the park restroom (distance=60ft, height=65ft) building then pressed "Engage". The app did the rest.

More to come....

Last edited:
Ok, after loading firmware, IMU, compass, resetting my preferences...had about 30min of daylight to test.....
Let me say the app is a little overwhelming with all the options and settings. However, once you master it, it looks very promising.
Test 1a: iPad mini3 no cell/GPS- tried hover function. Works but altitude is a bit confusing. Finally figured out it uses height based on power on location. However I had move 10-20ft lower at this point.
Test 1b: tried follow me function. Seems a bit erratic without GPS on iPad. My Location varied on map and couldn't seem to get it to line up exact distance from me to follow. Kept flying away from me until I intervened and stopped. Tried bearing angle settings/etc. to no avail. I guess I'll need to RTFM for a fourth time [emoji21]
Test 1c: orbit around me. Set distance to 60 feet. It orbits, but seemed to orbit in a wavy pattern (in/out) vs straight circle. I've seen this in their demo videos also. I think it works better if the distance is greater.
Test 2a: used iPhone 6+. Orbit around me. Same parameters as with iPad mini, but seemed to keep me closer within its view. Still orbits in a bit of a wavy pattern.
Test 2b: orbit a POI based on selected location. Set distance to 70. Almost crashed due to altitude setting. With the iPhone, you can select the basis for your altitude setting (iPhone barometer, power on location, etc). I decided to select the iPhone barometer, but didn't fully understand this option. I was located at a lower elevation than before so the bird dropped lower than expected.

Long story, lots to learn about this app. Reading just doesn't cut it. It's going to require some trial and error to get the hang of all the features are options. But to their credit, you can hide advanced features and they have explanations on the screens as you step through it.
So far only negative is you have to make all your camera setting adjustments from the DJI app. No fine tuning anything except exposure once in their app.

Here is a partial video of test 2b after getting setting correct. I set Orbit to POI directly below the park restroom (distance=60ft, height=65ft) building then pressed "Engage". The app did the rest.

More to come....

How long did the Autopilot firmware update take on the Quadcopter/Gimbal? Did you perform this through the microSD card using the Gimbal memory cardslot? Did you perform the Tx firmware update using the same AutoPilot bin file?

Last edited:
Update to the beta firmware took less than 1.2.6 on the P3P, 5 minutes maximum and the RC did not update.

Will agree wit the comments here about the range of options being quite daunting but then again I did use the Advanced options. I may try the app later without the advanced options visible as I think that would make things a little easier to use.

Have not had a problem with the orbit mentioned above, gave quite a smooth orbit for me but have not had the opportunity to test in a wide enough area so having to use the orbit quite high and close.

For me the really impressive mode is zip line with the ability to keep a subject in view e.g. move from A to B climbing or descending and having the camera facing a building or landmark.

I did have high hopes for the application and so far they appear to have delivered and then some.

How long did the Autopilot firmware update take on the Quadcopter/Gimbal? Did you perform this through the microSD card using the Gimbal memory cardslot? Did you perform the Tx firmware update using the same AutoPilot bin file?
The firmware on the bird took about 15min. I was still on the previous public firmware version (never updated to 1.26). Yes, I loaded from the microSD card using gimbal memory cardslot. Afterwards, verifying it was successful, I placed the SD card in a USB card reader and upgraded the TX. Only took a few mins to update.

Having issues loading firmware, can anyone help? the bird is not even registering as a new firmware being updated and I can't figure out why

I just tried to update and now I am getting a loud beeping when j turn my drone on... What is going on?

You are using developer firmware 1.01.1007, correct? Also, make sure the .bin fw file is in the root directory of your SD card. I use this video when loading fw.

If you are having problems installing the firmware and the above doesn't help and you know for sure you are applying them correctly it is probably worth checking the SDK forums on here and the DJI site as those guys have probably written about problems.

So I just got the update done but it won't connect to my phone.. iPhone 6.. What am I doing wrong?

Is this still available? It says the beta invite has been taken already. I'm also a developer with a P3P and would love to try it out.

So I just got the update done but it won't connect to my phone.. iPhone 6.. What am I doing wrong?
Test connecting the DJI pilot app. You may also simply try restarting the app or bird and RC. I think I saw this one my iphone6+, but after a restart of the bird and RC it connected fine.

More to come....

That sure doesn't look too promising, I can fly a better orbit manually

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20