FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

What kind of increase would a stock setup see from those wifi panels alone? Been looking at those for a little stronger signal. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

With the stock antennas before I did the banggood remote antennas I had to use a 3D Printed Windsurfer to get to 5km and I still had to gain altitude. With the Banggood 2.4-2.6G Gain Antenna Booster Signal Amplifer Refitting Kit for DJI Phantom 3 Transmitter setup I went over 7km with the only drop out when turning around. I have a better signal with some other panels off Amazon (7db) Amazon.com: 2 Pack of Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi Booster RP-SMA Panel High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa AWUS036H, AWUS036H1W, AWUS036NHV, AWUS036NHR, AWUS036NHA, AWUS051NH, AWUS036EW, AWUS036NEH, AWUS036NH, AWUS050NH, AIPW610H, APA05, WUS048NH and R36: Computers & Accessories. If you use the Banggood setup you need to crack the panel antenna case and spin the element around to get the proper angle.Went 7.5km this after noon with this setup. Actually went further but I was trying out a little 2 watt booster on the antenna and lost signal and it started a return to home. I pulled the amp and threw on the antenna and turned it back around to go further. I am using Channel 20 for the video, btw.
20160228_095617_01_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhhh thanks man. This is exactly the info I've been looking for. If I can get that kind of range without installing a booster/amp I'd be fully satisfied. So those Amazon panel antennas are the best of that type you've used so far? I'd still need to get a refitting kit too right? Any suggestions on that?

I do have some 3D printed windsurfers on the way so that may fulfill my needs. But I like the panel antenna idea as a more permanent option.

Another question, I don't see many using cloverleaf antennas on the P3P. Any reason for that? I have a few of those from my P2, wondering if they'd be useful after installing a refitting kit

One more question. Any good tutorials for installing the conversion kits? Found a few on YouTube but they were all in Japanese. I can barely order at Panda Express.

The Banggood kit isn't bad as it has pretty thick cables. Plenty of videos on you tube, that's what I used to learn. I am going to try a cloverleaf this week but the directional boosting may not be there. The double 3D printed Windsurfer will probably get you out as far as your batteries are good for until you do a sidesaddle conversion. On my previous post I put that I went 7.5km so far with no loss of signal unless I didn't point it at the bird which I used the DJIGo map to line up. Here is what I mean on the weird Banggood panels..pics. Pretty FN strange but works. But I prefer the Alfa ones, work better. Might be better to just source the cables....Looked like a 5 year old got a hold of scrap and a soldering iron!

20160221_162622_resized.jpg
20160221_162613_resized.jpg 20160221_162634_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Great thanks for the info and pics! I'll probably give the double windsurfer a shot. If that gets me as much range as I can handle on one battery I may not tweak too much from there. Although I do like the idea of a stronger signal regardless of distance, even if only for less sensitivity to interference.

Just noticed your in AZ. I'm up in North Phx myself

I am curious too. Here in the summer it is pretty warm. Do you have an outside antenna?

no external antennas, just pointing thru window. i have been planning to mount one on the roof, but not sure what kind of setup to get for 360 coverage, if good suggestions feel free so share.

The one thing I can see being an issue is the length of wire needed to reach antennas far away unless you had a powered booster of course. One other thing may be issues with wires possibly radiating to each other over long distances of several feet unless well insulated?

20160228_095633_resized.jpg
BUDGET RIG OUT 8KM/5 MILES!

Went out yesterday evening to try my new panel antenna an Alfa APA-M25. What drew me to this one was the 2.4g-8 dbi/5.8g-10 dbi capabilities which means I can use it on my Phantom 2 with 5.8g video. Previous I went 7.5km with an Alph 2.4g/7dbi smaller panel on transmit side and the funky Banggood panel on the receive side. Well I am happy to report 8km/5 miles with no dropouts before turning around. I am running 2 Zippy Compact 2200mah side saddle batteries for my range test. I landed with 20% battery left. This is as cheap as it gets for a distance setup.
$30 for the Banggood external antenna setup Amazon.com: Shaluoman Ultra Long-Range Extended Antenna Booster Signal Amplifer Refitting Kit For Inspire 1/Phantom 3 Transmitter: Toys & Games, $20 carbon fiber sidesaddles DJI Phantom Quadcopter CF Carbon Fiber Dual Battery Mount Plate Extending Tray
$32 for 2 2200mah batteries $16 each at hobby king I found out) ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack (US Warehouse)
$20 for the Alpha 2.4g/8dbi combo panel Amazon.com: Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157): Computers & Accessories
$5 for wiring Amazon.com: LHI 5Pcs Anti-skid T Plug Female to XT60 Plug Female Adapter Converter for RC Lipo Battery: Toys & Games
20160301_193051[1].jpg
20160301_192527[1].jpg

Last edited:
I just got a pair of the Alfa M04's that you suggested. That is the ones you had the best luck with on the P3 correct?

@WTFOver 8.5km, nice job. 16.2m/s speed on your pic. so slight tailwind and battery is 56% @ 8km out, did you actually manage to get back home? If so, how much juice you had left?

how much extra do you get with the zippy batteries - and also do you have a picture of the modded battery that takes the zippies ?

how much extra do you get with the zippy batteries - and also do you have a picture of the modded battery that takes the zippies ?
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1457009313.295679.jpg

I posted a deal/offer to forrum members who want their bats modded for lipo,s like this one, to send me two bats i'll mod (1) send it back and keep (1) for myself for payment instead of cash, ( some people have more extra bats than they do cash)[emoji41]

I assume that the 2200mah batteries are put in parallel with the stock battery correct? I have not messed around with modifying lipos but normally with batteries you want any batteries in parallel to be identical to each other. Otherwise 1 will discharge overpower the other causing net losses. Not that it won't work, it's just not good for longevity of batteries to have unbalanced parallel power banks.

I guess if the 2200 batteries are in parallel with a 4400 they may balance out if they were isolated in their own parallel bank.

I just got a pair of the Alfa M04's that you suggested. That is the ones you had the best luck with on the P3 correct?
Those are the 7dbi and work great! Better than that Banggood stuff especially on the transmit side. You do have to keep them pointed in the general direction and height. The one above that I just went to 8km is a bit more expensive at $20 for one but is a little more dbi. The neat thing about it is it's 5.8g also. Today I threw it on my P2 (not Vison) 5.8g video receiver and the Alfa you picked up on the control 2.4g and went 4km with no dropouts. Kind of a 2 for one! I've gone 5km on the P2 in 2014 with some different gear on it.
@WTFOver 8.5km, nice job. 16.2m/s speed on your pic. so slight tailwind and battery is 56% @ 8km out, did you actually manage to get back home? If so, how much juice you had left?

20% because I managed 20-21mps on the way back. Doing baby steps out further each time. I have 1300 and 1800 mah coming to see if the weight reduction helps.

I guess if the 2200 batteries are in parallel with a 4400 they may balance out if they were isolated in their own parallel bank.
I think as long as voltages are right it doesn't matter. Or at least I hope it doesn't as Im going to try out smaller capacities next.

Last edited:

In the pic below
20160228_095633_resized.jpg
it shows the battery leads coming out of the shell. I just went in and soldered 2 leads to the board mains and brought them out the side. I didn't want the battery mod because that would restrict me to that battery.Zippies weigh around 200 grams each. All up weight on my scale was 1808 grams.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart