FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

You do have a cool setup and amazing range. So for the P3 I think I only need the 2.4ghz range. That's what I read somewhere. P.S. I just did the 32 channel hack thing last night, and it took about 3 minutes. It works fine and will get my video transmission out of the crowded bandwidth area. I tested at channel 26 and it seems to work fine. Channels above 18 or so seemed to have very little to no noise on them from the DJI app display. I need to actually fly on upper channels to see if it matters in the real world.

You do have a cool setup and amazing range. So for the P3 I think I only need the 2.4ghz range. That's what I read somewhere. P.S. I just did the 32 channel hack thing last night, and it took about 3 minutes. It works fine and will get my video transmission out of the crowded bandwidth area. I tested at channel 26 and it seems to work fine. Channels above 18 or so seemed to have very little to no noise on them from the DJI app display. I need to actually fly on upper channels to see if it matters in the real world.

I'm on 20-21 in case the panel antennas don't go over 2.4g. I was up at 30 and I think I dropped out sooner.

Hmm, good to remember. The antennas have a wavelength as well.

View attachment 45790 BUDGET RIG OUT 8KM/5 MILES!

Went out yesterday evening to try my new panel antenna an Alfa APA-M25. What drew me to this one was the 2.4g-8 dbi/5.8g-10 dbi capabilities which means I can use it on my Phantom 2 with 5.8g video. Previous I went 7.5km with an Alph 2.4g/7dbi smaller panel on transmit side and the funky Banggood panel on the receive side. Well I am happy to report 8km/5 miles with no dropouts before turning around. I am running 2 Zippy Compact 2200mah side saddle batteries for my range test. I landed with 20% battery left. This is as cheap as it gets for a distance setup.
$30 for the Banggood external antenna setup Amazon.com: Shaluoman Ultra Long-Range Extended Antenna Booster Signal Amplifer Refitting Kit For Inspire 1/Phantom 3 Transmitter: Toys & Games, $20 carbon fiber sidesaddles DJI Phantom Quadcopter CF Carbon Fiber Dual Battery Mount Plate Extending Tray
$32 for 2 2200mah batteries $16 each at hobby king I found out) ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack (US Warehouse)
$20 for the Alpha 2.4g/8dbi combo panel Amazon.com: Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157): Computers & Accessories
$5 for wiring Amazon.com: LHI 5Pcs Anti-skid T Plug Female to XT60 Plug Female Adapter Converter for RC Lipo Battery: Toys & Games
View attachment 45789 View attachment 45788

Was there a reason you only put the Alpha on the transmitter and didn't get 2 and stick them on both sides?

Was there a reason you only put the Alpha on the transmitter and didn't get 2 and stick them on both sides?

Yeah! Couldn't find it, was probably in my P2 box of stuff as I bought a pair of them 2 years ago. But it seems the signal that gets lost first is the video and that seems to be the transmitting side of the controller. Used the 7dbi Alfa on the P2 controller yesterday and went to 5km with absolutely no control issues so they are great for that. On the P3 transmit side the Alfa 7dbi was great out to 7km at 400'. Last run at the 8km mark was Alfa 8dbi on transmit video side and Alfa 7dbi on the control side.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Here's the dual battery wiring. Ignore the BEC for the bird side amp, I yanked that mod out as not worth the aggravation for what you get.
20160220_142218_resized.jpg

BEC uncovered. Pretty much what I have seen and bought before.
bec.jpg

Last edited:
**** that BEC is huuuugh!
I get by with alot thinner light wire than that!

The Banggood kit isn't bad as it has pretty thick cables. Plenty of videos on you tube, that's what I used to learn. I am going to try a cloverleaf this week but the directional boosting may not be there. The double 3D printed Windsurfer will probably get you out as far as your batteries are good for until you do a sidesaddle conversion. On my previous post I put that I went 7.5km so far with no loss of signal unless I didn't point it at the bird which I used the DJIGo map to line up. Here is what I mean on the weird Banggood panels..pics. Pretty FN strange but works. But I prefer the Alfa ones, work better. Might be better to just source the cables....Looked like a 5 year old got a hold of scrap and a soldering iron!

View attachment 45351 View attachment 45350 View attachment 45352

2570a9aed9d7aeae49a7254042b3f583.jpg

My banggood kit came ... Looks quite a bit different than yours !! What do you think ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My banggood kit came ... Looks quite a bit different than yours !! What do you think ?

I just got a second one I ordered and it looks different too. Is there just a relief square on the face with no writing on your? I did a review on their sight with pics of the crappy one, of course they didn't post the pics just my screen shot of distance. Maybe it got them of their ***?

Reactions: JonEQuest
Yeah it has the relief nameplate but it's blank !! So these appear to be in the proper orientation correct ? do you think it would help at all to coat the back inside with copper tape ?

Even tin foil would help. You could probably get thin copper from a hardware or hobby store and just solder it on.

Even tin foil would help. You could probably get thin copper from a hardware or hobby store and just solder it on.
?

Yeah it has the relief nameplate but it's blank !! So these appear to be in the proper orientation correct ? do you think it would help at all to coat the back inside with copper tape ?

Proper orientation would be with the big metal tin being the back and the printed board the front. The big deal since mine didnt rotate was to get the tilt right for forward facing.

2570a9aed9d7aeae49a7254042b3f583.jpg

Found a sight with all these panels cheap!!!!!
Antennas - 2.4GHz typical WiFi - Directional - Data-alliance.net
20160308_205722.jpg

Went 9km out/18km round trip, that's 11 miles on $15 worth of panels. Unfortunately a 10mph wind screwed up my return. Had 1800mah zippies on the side saddle but ran out of poop shy of landing. If you force it to stay in the air at 1% it will fall like a rock! For me that was at 35 meters up. I should have let it land and tracked it, would have been smarter and cheaper!
Like Arnold said "I'll be baaac.....

Last edited:
Nice !!!! I'm wondering how these stack up next to FPVLR and DBS

OK, who is putting this on the roof of their car next week?:)
A24__74307.1412961669.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
View attachment 45296 View attachment 45297 View attachment 45298 View attachment 45299 View attachment 45300 Hi Folks
Finally got my stuff together and didn't forget anything this time! Threw on my cheap Wi-Fi panels and tried out my side saddle 2200mah Zippy's. 7km/4.34 miles and turned around at 75% battery, landed at 44%. I may set up the 2 amp booster I had on the bird side and put it on the transmit side of the Pilot end next time. Overall I'm happy with the result considering the total expense and gear. Also considering the extra weight the front motors were cool and the rear were warm. Don't know if that's because of the tilt for forward motion or the battery's are a little off center of gravity? I was averaging just under 20mps/45mph.
Time to charge up again!

I ordered the same kit, but I don't know where to use these metal rings (watched the video and it wasn't really helpful)
Could you tell me where to use them?

Thanks for the help:blush:

I ordered the same kit, but I don't know where to use these metal rings (watched the video and it wasn't really helpful)
Could you tell me where to use them?

Thanks for the help:blush:
The metal rings go around the area your antennas come out to hold them together. I glued mine as they just slip on. Keep the plastic from splitING when you tighten your small bolts

Found a sight with all these panels cheap!!!!!
Antennas - 2.4GHz typical WiFi - Directional - Data-alliance.net
View attachment 46539
Went 9km out/18km round trip, that's 11 miles on $15 worth of panels. Unfortunately a 10mph wind screwed up my return. Had 1800mah zippies on the side saddle but ran out of poop shy of landing. If you force it to stay in the air at 1% it will fall like a rock! For me that was at 35 meters up. I should have let it land and tracked it, would have been smarter and cheaper!
Like Arnold said "I'll be baaac.....

That sucks man. Sorry about your bird.

That sucks man. Sorry about your bird.

Everythings good! Alokbhargava sold me a P3Advanced Camera and Gimbal at a fair price so now a little free time and it's up in the air again. Went out today with the old Phantom 2 FPV to 6km and back with 20% left. That's with my 2x2500mah side saddles and a good cross wind. Rather fly it into the ground than sell it for nothing! Really wish there was a way to incorporate the lightbridge of of some wrecked P3's and stuff them into the video side of the Phantom 2's FPV setup. The P3Pro/Adv is a world away in video transmission and quality!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka