FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

Attachments

• 20160411_011005.jpg
    20160411_011005.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 481
  • 20160411_010903.jpg
    20160411_010903.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 574
  • 20160411_010933_001.jpg
    20160411_010933_001.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 551
UPDATE: I just flew again last night with the 4 watt amps and got the SAME as another stock controller I have with windsurfers. Right at 2.1 miles. To be honest there may be something else going on and I need to test in another location but I have been able to get to the same point, but NOT past it, with 4 set-ups. 1) My stock 300B controller with windsurfers, 2) My 300B controller with just the Alfa directional antennas, 3) my 300B controller with Alfas and 2 four watt amps, finally another 300A controller I just got with windsurfers. They all get me right to 2.1 miles, then cut out. The worst is the amplified setup because the control signal is strong as hell but when the video drops out, they both drop off and I get "No Signal" if I don't get it back within a second or two the signal takes a very long time to re-sync and the RTH is already on it's way home. The first run with amps I lost signal for about 5 minutes and the bird was 2/3 of the way home before I got signal again. With stock and windsurfers I get it back as soon as I get back in range within seconds.

UPDATE: I just flew again last night with the 4 watt amps and got the SAME as another stock controller I have with windsurfers. Right at 2.1 miles. To be honest there may be something else going on and I need to test in another location but I have been able to get to the same point, but NOT past it, with 4 set-ups. 1) My stock 300B controller with windsurfers, 2) My 300B controller with just the Alfa directional antennas, 3) my 300B controller with Alfas and 2 four watt amps, finally another 300A controller I just got with windsurfers. They all get me right to 2.1 miles, then cut out. The worst is the amplified setup because the control signal is strong as hell but when the video drops out, they both drop off and I get "No Signal" if I don't get it back within a second or two the signal takes a very long time to re-sync and the RTH is already on it's way home. The first run with amps I lost signal for about 5 minutes and the bird was 2/3 of the way home before I got signal again. With stock and windsurfers I get it back as soon as I get back in range within seconds.

Read this thread, the amps will be running well out of spec if you have them connected straight to the remote.

Planning to change FPVLR with DBS

That makes sense to me as a former electronic tech but I have never heard of people adding attenuators. Do you know why the FPVLR or DBS Mods kits have attenuators? I am NOT doubting you, just trying to figure it out. One thing I have noticed is one the "Control" side my red LED (receiver) is always lit bright and the green (transmitter) is always lit bright. On the "Video" side the red is always lit bright (receive) but the green (transmit) is either off or blinks very dim here and there. That make sense since the video side should just be receiving and green is for transmit. The constant reds on both and constant green on the control side could indicate the amps are being over driven I guess.

Mines the same on the transmit side no signal . I even tried a few different amp setups and gave up on it ,due to it doesn't help my signal either way on/off.

Mines the same on the transmit side no signal . I even tried a few different amp setups and gave up on it ,due to it doesn't help my signal either way on/off.
I have had the same experience. This actually makes perfect sense to me. The remote is only receiving the video FROM the drone. The remote is transmitting control signal TO the drone so that is why the amps help on that end. After all this testing, BS and reading I am starting to think that the just using stock antennas or some nice cheap WiFi ones with one amp on the remotes CONTROL transmit antenna and one on the drones VIDEO transmit antenna are the best solution. These fancy perfectly designed antennas are great with no amps, but a powerful transmitter should also work great with "good" instead of "great" antennas. I have seen people who have bought the DBS and FPVLR $300 set-ups and have the same ~2.2 mile range I have.

I'm going with 2 -2.4ghz 4w amps on the bird and pulling power from birds main board @ 15.2v. To each amp.. And I'm going to use the stock bird side antennas , only I'm about to modify them and solder them directly to my amps. And lose as many weak links as possible ...on My remote I'm sticking w/ 1-4w amp and 12 v from a pack.. with dbs 2.4panel.. This hobby is becoming a sickness ;) I'm determined to get a solid reliable signal.. Anyways I'll post my results hopefully shortly ..

3 amps. That is a lot! I guess you better get some good signal. What range have you gotten with just the DBS mod panel so far? It sounds like they are not that much better than windsurfers in many cases.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, are you 100% certain there is a transmit (control) and separate video (recieve) antenna?
Some of the posts from what appear to be the more technically savvy posters seem to say all antennas do everything.

Again no personal proof either way but don't want ppl going certain routes on the back of an assumption which may be incorrect.

Google MIMO for more info on how it could work.

Yes exactly. The raw board doesn't have Big bulky SMA connectors. So I soldered on an MMCX pigtail to reach the Lightbridge module, and then an MMCX female to plug the leg antenna into. Cleaner, neater, less weight, and those leg antennas are already very good.

View attachment 44817

Available on eBay for 14 bucks
XQ-02A 2.4G 2W Dual Way Wifi Signal Amplifer Boost Module Auto Switch ge

UBEC is 5 bucks
HOBBYWING RC UBEC 5V 6V 3A Max 5A Lowest RF Noise BEC

How did you get on with this? I have 2 QX-02A boards.
When trying on the remote side it really doesn't work.
With them connected to the RF but not powered the remote will connect to the bird. Power one up and you loose video (though it still shows 4-5bars) power the second up and when looking at the channel menu all channels show large interference (all showing fine before powering the 2nd up).

I've tried swapping the Amp UBEC and coax side to side to see if any could be faulty but with the same results.

Just chiming in again. Has anyone determined if a bird side amp with stock bird antenna helps? I have the ITELITE-DBS-02 and lov eit. Without amps it is still better than anything else I have tried with or without amps. I am thinking of sticking with the DBS-02 antenna with no amps, BUT putting a little amp on the drone (bird) side and leaving the stock drone antennas that are obviously well designed.

Just chiming in again. Has anyone determined if a bird side amp with stock bird antenna helps? I have the ITELITE-DBS-02 and lov eit. Without amps it is still better than anything else I have tried with or without amps. I am thinking of sticking with the DBS-02 antenna with no amps, BUT putting a little amp on the drone (bird) side and leaving the stock drone antennas that are obviously well designed.
Are you getting more than 2.1 miles out of your dbs setup? Are you flying in the city with a lot of "noise"? I've been considering modifying a spare remote that I purchased just not sure what antenna to go with. I'm right down the road.......Houma.

Tony at FPVLR.com was offering P3 birdside video mods, promising the moon, but no one I have heard from was happy with the results, for a variety of reasons. Tony had also said the birdside video mod and the battery mods were a mutually exclusive choice, which made the video mod useless to me. My choice was to stick to the original W323 old motor P3P's with the highest video power of .746 watts, and use the FPVLR v2 boosted mod on the GL300A transmitter for amplifying the receive side. Works out to 5 miles.

I am in The Burbs but near plenty of interference with big power lines and tall churches, etc. I've gotten up to 2.6 miles with just the DBS antenna and no amps.
Are you getting more than 2.1 miles out of your dbs setup? Are you flying in the city with a lot of "noise"? I've been considering modifying a spare remote that I purchased just not sure what antenna to go with. I'm right down the road.......Houma.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31