FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

Sorry I didn't mean the voltage regulator, I meant can you tap into the switched side of the transmitter switch and Have the booster turn on at the same time as the transmitter ? Saving a hole drilled for an extra switch and further streamlining things ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I believe it can be done.This is an electronic switch.You have to find where is the output voltage of the battery after the switch inside the transmitter's circuit.This can be done with a multimeter.

Last edited:
I did the same with the GoodLuckBuy board you linked.
Amazing how people rip people off and go around promoting their site like "made in America" or whatever.

So much neater and cleaner that way starting with the raw board.
Less weight. Less connector points. Cleaner signal path. Less mess.
No need for massive external antenna. (Somebody is selling that real hard out there also, for no reason, it doesn't help)

So this is for the drone or the remote? I assume the drone side correct?

So you keep the same antenna on the drone and then add the flat antennas on the transmitter side?

I ordered mine from AMain Hobbies and used "FEB10" for a $10 discount $139 shipped. Close enough to $150 though.
I think it's a solid investment. Can't measure improvement, unless you start with a baseline! :cool: It will also quickly determine which legs on my birds have the video antennas, as they may vary!

Last edited:
OK, So do we know the improvements with these on both bird and remote? Is the stock antenna fine or is it worth it to change to a cloverleaf antenna? I am a hardware guy so I don't mind cracking open the case if it's worth it. I just don't want to void my warranty unless the gains are significant. I am sure I can find a main 5v to power this from in the remote with my meter as well. I am curious about how much current draw is. If you pull down too much power from a circuit that cannot handle it that leads to a new problem. I definitely don't want to drill extra holes in my remote quite yet. So far I have used windsurfers and went from a max of ~5,000' to over 11,000' the first time I used them. I would love even more range and to not have to worry about facing the right direction as well.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
OK, So do we know the improvements with these on both bird and remote? Is the stock antenna fine or is it worth it to change to a cloverleaf antenna? I am a hardware guy so I don't mind cracking open the case if it's worth it. I just don't want to void my warranty unless the gains are significant. I am sure I can find a main 5v to power this from in the remote with my meter as well. I am curious about how much current draw is. If you pull down too much power from a circuit that cannot handle it that leads to a new problem. I definitely don't want to drill extra holes in my remote quite yet. So far I have used windsurfers and went from a max of ~5,000' to over 11,000' the first time I used them. I would love even more range and to not have to worry about facing the right direction as well.
My thought to on the improvements. Really looking for say someone with hopefully a properly set up bird side booster to note improvements to signal with no mod to the pilot side. Kind of hard to say it works when you have special antennas and/or boosters on the pilot side. Seems like 5km-6km is a base line to what the P3 Adv/Pro will do with no mods or at the very most a windsurfer. Been pretty busy in the shop but as soon as I get a minute I'll take the meter to the P3 Pro and Adv and go thru each unmodified leg. Then on the unmodified Pro controller and then the Adv controller with only the panels from Banggood. Should give a starting point to some out there. Also on the Adv I set up two Zippy Compact 2200mah batts and will do a flight/hover time with and without.
My Phantom 3 Adv with Post Apocalyptic paint job. What a pain pulling it down to the shell to paint! Was supposed to look weather worn but I think ended up more on the camo side. Gave me some good ideas for a HK21 paint scheme!
20160221_111823[1].jpeg
20160221_111647[1].jpeg

Reactions: rulppa
I like the paint job. It does have that Mad Max end of the world look to me. I can also see the military camo look in it as well. Did you say you set up two 2200mah batteries? Is this in addition to the stock one or replacement? I have a fear of messing with batteries since one slight power flicker or failure and I will have a falling rock. I am interested to hear about the gains from each part. I thought the Adv and Pro controllers were the same. You were referring to testing each one. Is that because one is modified more than another? Speaking of controllers I see they go for pretty cheap on eBay. I guess with crashes and fly aways there are always going to be more controllers than birds out there.

Yeah, and trust this your "falling rock" is hard to find when its white but when it has a cool camo finish... Impossible[emoji41]

Reactions: JonEQuest
Thanks on the paint job opinion! I think an HK beltfed might get the treatment next! My P3Adv is an old motors, model #W322 and controller #GL300 the P3Pro has the newer motors, model #W323B and controller #GL300C. On the battery mod you can see the plugs on either side, I simply went in with 2 pigtails and soldered them onto the main leads on the board. Make sure you have at least a 40 watt 900 degree iron! My preliminary test came out to 23 minutes with the batts not broken in. Using 2) 2200mah Zippy Compacts. As soon as I find some light ones I'm going to try 1800mah and see what happens. Tomorrow I may get out for a distance run with the Banggod panels on the pilot side.

Reactions: POVoutfitters
Yeah, and trust this your "falling rock" is hard to find when its white but when it has a cool camo finish... Impossible[emoji41]
DSCF1204.JPG
That's why I have a "Marco Polo" Velcro'd on the side. Good for 2 miles and 30 day on time. The best $200 you'll ever spend and doesn't need a cell connection which isn't available a lot of places I fly. Have used it twice on the Phantom 2 and once already on the Phantom 3! I move it to whatever bird I'm flying. I friend in Flagstaff AZ lost his P3pro in a wooded canyon and said there is no way he would have found it without the "Marco Polo".

View attachment 44990 That's why I have a "Marco Polo" Velcro'd on the side. Good for 2 miles and 30 day on time. The best $200 you'll ever spend and doesn't need a cell connection which isn't available a lot of places I fly. Have used it twice on the Phantom 2 and once already on the Phantom 3! I move it to whatever bird I'm flying. I friend in Flagstaff AZ lost his P3pro in a wooded canyon and said there is no way he would have found it without the "Marco Polo".
Won't help much in saltwater in the ocean...but good for dry land recovery.

So those batteries have replaced your single stock battery then? Is the handling different? The bird is used to one heavy battery in the middle and now has 1 on each side.

Top view showing one of the batteries and connector.
DSCF1203.JPG

So those batteries have replaced your single stock battery then? Is the handling different? The bird is used to one heavy battery in the middle and now has 1 on each side.
Stock battery is there, just post apocalyptic! All up weight is 1802 grams. I flew out to 4km the other day with just the main battery but hauling the weight of the 2 not connected batteries.It fly's a little heavy but was still hitting 19mps. And as far as a power flicker your actually better off. You would need 3 flickers for your bird to go down as it powers up the minute you plug in the side batts. I have to check if the electronics are OK without that little main battery pad having juice to it. The pad is right beside the big main plug and I think gets power when you fire up the main Phantom batt.

Last edited:
Won't help much in saltwater in the ocean...but good for dry land recovery.
In AZ water isn't a problem for the Phantom, just you when it's a sunny 118 degrees. One of my customers was in the sandbox and him and his buddies where chillin. Everybody else was bitchin on how fn hot it was. Him and his buddies told them "Normal day in Phoenix"!

Great stuff!!!

When applying the rubber did you just tape the vents? And if so, how did you get it on the vents? Cut it?

In AZ water isn't a problem for the Phantom, just you when it's a sunny 118 degrees. One of my customers was in the sandbox and him and his buddies where chillin. Everybody else was bitchin on how fn hot it was. Him and his buddies told them "Normal day in Phoenix"!
No wifi interfering humidity either! :cool:

Great stuff!!!

When applying the rubber did you just tape the vents? And if so, how did you get it on the vents? Cut it?
Disassembled down to shell, no parts in it. The top is spray bed liner from HD, bottom is Klylon FDE Camo then a smattering with artist brush and sponge of Klylon dark brown Camo, black and some metallic paint. Start to finish was a Saturday afternoon project. Plus I had to yank the bird side crap out and reinstall the leg antenna's.
DSCF1205.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy
Disassembled down to shell, no parts in it. The top is spray bed liner from HD, bottom is Klylon FDE Camo then a smattering with artist brush and sponge of Klylon dark brown Camo, black and some metallic paint. Start to finish was a Saturday afternoon project. Plus I had to yank the bird side crap out and reinstall the leg antenna's.View attachment 44994
Essentially, that's a job for Drone's Plus for me. I'll open up and fix any toy drone or racer but there is something about the big ones that scare me to mess with.

Thank you so much for letting me know. If I buy the stuff for him, he will do both of ours for it. Nice to have friends at times like this. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers