Flying zones in VA

Way I read that is that it's night time flying?

I agree - that along with Section 17-31 seemed to contradict itself, and it prompted me to call. According to the person I spoke with (filling in for the acting Director, who was out) the 2nd sentence says it's prohibited at any time without prior approval. He agreed it was a bit unclear, but 'the County lawyers wrote it.' Hopefully I should get some guidance later this week.

The DC No-Fly zone (30 miles) has 2 rings. 0-15 mile Inner ring is off limits (requires special permit?) 15-30 mile Outer ring is okay for hobbyists, and this includes Prince William County. Manassas airport 5 mile rules apply, but information was posted on Manassas City website regarding drones, and links for online airport notification and # to notify the Manassas Airport tower.

I use the B4UFly app, but also found recommendations on this forum for an app called Hover (iOS and Android). I like Hover because it shows more detail then the FAA one, including weather/wind speeds, no-fly zones, etc. Hope this helps....
Both B4UFLY and hover have out of date and a lot of just plain wrong info in them. The best app I've found is Airmap. If you really want the latest and best maps, go to VFRMAP.com (though you'll need to learn how to read air maps and what the different classes of airspace are and what your limits within them are).
1486951439647.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: gliffy
I agree - that along with Section 17-31 seemed to contradict itself, and it prompted me to call. According to the person I spoke with (filling in for the acting Director, who was out) the 2nd sentence says it's prohibited at any time without prior approval. He agreed it was a bit unclear, but 'the County lawyers wrote it.' Hopefully I should get some guidance later this week.

Pull this one out of your hat on them: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?161+ful+CHAP0451+pdf

I think that got overlooked by some of these VA jurisdictions that are trying to pass their own regs.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Aloha all,
New to the forum, new to piloting a drone, and also new to PWC Virginia. Thanks for the posts Weissguy & CCrew. I live in Woodbridge and did a short test flight the other day at one of the schools.

Weissguy, did you ever hear back from the Director?

Somehow I missed CCrew's response. Interesting read. I will have to reach back out to that gentleman and see what he has to say about it. With regard to his response (several weeks after initial correspondence) It was basically the same - his office has "placed your request on hold - while we further consult with Risk Management and the County Attorney's Office. Our main concerns center around the "safety" of our Park Patrons. The use of drones (UAV/UAS) in our parks pose a liability for the County - and of course, as mentioned, safety to others."

He could not give me authorization to fly in the Parks I requested (Andrew Leitch or Lake Ridge Park) as their 'busy' season was approaching but he did note other County's rules (Fairfax and Arlington) basically saying they were the same. However, his Director has tasked him with researching County Park areas that could be utilized for UAS's. Maybe if a few more PWC residents contacted him, and asked about 'getting approval to fly UAS's in County Parks' this might speed things up. Apparently, I was the 2nd person (in Feb) that had asked about it.

PWC Parks and Rec Main Number:
Phone: 703-792-7060

I started to write a response showing him Fairfax county did allow flying at the 95 Landfill and also out in Centerville (although I think I remember you needed to be a member of a "club"??) it was still allowed at certain areas. I was also going to mention a bit farther west in the County - Silver Lake Park out by Haymarket, however, work got in my way...

JSKCKNIT - There are a few schools that are good to fly at, and I've seen posts about a field down from BJ's on PW Parkway - though I haven't flown there myself. Where are you flying? Locally, I've been flying in my community common areas - kids love to watch it fly and take pics and videos of them.

Will respond if and when I hear back from PWC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
JSKCKNIT - There are a few schools that are good to fly at, and I've seen posts about a field down from BJ's on PW Parkway - though I haven't flown there myself. Where are you flying? Locally, I've been flying in my community common areas - kids love to watch it fly and take pics and videos of them.

Will respond if and when I hear back from PWC.

I've only flown once at an empty baseball field of an elementary school. I wanted to fly at the soccer fields down the road from Chinns, but it was occupied. My Phantom is still set to beginner mode, so I'm not flying high and far.

I too will contact the Parks & Rec director and inquire on park usage....when it's unoccupied. Or minimally occupied. To me, Code of Virginia title15.2/chapter9/section15.2-926.3/ seems pretty cut and dry, but until someone states they've successfully used that as a defense, I'm not going to rely on it!

I've only flown once at an empty baseball field of an elementary school. I wanted to fly at the soccer fields down the road from Chinns, but it was occupied. My Phantom is still set to beginner mode, so I'm not flying high and far.

I too will contact the Parks & Rec director and inquire on park usage....when it's unoccupied. Or minimally occupied. To me, Code of Virginia title15.2/chapter9/section15.2-926.3/ seems pretty cut and dry, but until someone states they've successfully used that as a defense, I'm not going to rely on it!
An

Did you get any more info on the parks
I had looked up any Prince William County ordinances and the only thing I saw was one that said something to the effect of model planes can only be used in designated areas. So when I contacted the parks director, I asked him what are the designated areas? He was kind enough to reply back and said it is something that they are researching and working on. He also contacted me and asked if I would like to sit in on a forum to determine appropriate areas. That was over a month ago and I still haven't heard anything back.

I continue to fly at the soccer fields when they're not used and also at a vacant park behind the fields.

-Corey

Let me know if you need any help with that. It would be nice to be able to fly in prince William forest. I have been flying in my backyard and down in Florida.

Greetings. Sorry, haven't checked in, in awhile. I also got a response from PWC Parks about joining a discussion or advisory board and responded, but have not heard back either. There are some clubs in Fairfax that fly at the I95 landfill (near Lorton) and another one out in Chantilly/Centerville - but nothing that I am aware of in PWC parks. Bill Sizer, I would be careful with Prince William Forrest - that is a National Park

A long time ago, my family went camping out at Silver Lake (Haymarket) and I went there recently with my kids and it looks like a good spot to try and leverage (IMHO) Open fields, a lake (pond) and some trails. Hopefully, PWC Park and Rec follows through.

The reason I haven't checked in - I moved out towards Winchester. Not sure if Park and Rec will still want my input, but we have friends and family here so will be back. If you are ever in the Winchester area - I hear Sherando Park is a good place to fly - and just outside the 5 mile zone for the puddle jumper airport.

I'll be going through Tazewell to Marion on Hwy 16 riding the Back of the Dragon soon. I have a few questions if you're from the area; Is it legal to fly around that area such as scenic lookouts, etc.? Also, is it prohibited to fly in VA State Parks? Thanks, Ray

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT