Flying zones in VA

Reaction score
hello,

anyone here from VA and know any authorized flying spots? all the applications give me either NO FLY ZONE or ALL SAFE.. so please if you know where I can fly my drone in VA I'd be so glad.. and thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well I went to prince william county and nothing is near that, mainly go south and if north DC has a no-fly zone that's rather large and if you are near Quantico that's also an area.

Well I went to prince william county and nothing is near that, mainly go south and if north DC has a no-fly zone that's rather large and if you are near Quantico that's also an area.
I'm part of Prince William County as I live in manassas.. but any app I check with gives me No fly zone with red circle saying part of DC area

Is battlefield out west of manasses banned? Should only be a 5 hour drive from quantico in traffic now.
I don't miss the area at all. I hate to think what they charge for your property taxes now, I fled the state when they sent me a $450 tax bill on my 6 year old car.

Is battlefield out west of manasses banned? Should only be a 5 hour drive from quantico in traffic now.
I don't miss the area at all. I hate to think what they charge for your property taxes now, I fled the state when they sent me a $450 tax bill on my 6 year old car.
battlefield is a national park so NO FLY ZONE and I know.. Virginia sucks

Northern Va sucks, the southern part of VA is right nice. I have lived here my whole life with the exception of my time in the Marines, and guess where I was stationed? I started in Quantico and finished at Bolling Air Force Base on the naval side. This was in the 90's and it was horrible. I think if I had to live there now I would certainly suck start a 45. You couldn't pay me to live in that hell hole....to each his own though.

Reactions: Slackware
One thing I hate is how my house has 1 airport, 1farm with an airstrip, and 2 hospitals so im in a technical no fly w/o calling ppl etc.

One thing I hate is how my house has 1 airport, 1farm with an airstrip, and 2 hospitals so im in a technical no fly w/o calling ppl etc.
Only if the farm has a maned tower, which is very unlikely. Hospitals also don't usually have a manned tower. Just a pad with lights.
I'm in a black helicopter fly zone myself, till they put tail numbers on them, I have right of way.

Only if the farm has a maned tower, which is very unlikely. Hospitals also don't usually have a manned tower. Just a pad with lights.
I'm in a black helicopter fly zone myself, till they put tail numbers on them, I have right of way.

Umm, no you don't. You never have right of way over a manned craft, sorry.

I called 2 private parks in stafford and they told me they don't allow drones even tho it's not on their website.. I contacted the chef of recreational in stafford County and she promised to check available spots to fly and will let me know

Schools like to violate state and federal laws anyways, so see if you can use their practice fields.
In fact a current loon on the high court used to break them herself.

Hello all - new to the forum.

Regarding Prince William County Park Authority - all PWC parks do not allow drones, unless you get prior approval from Park Authority:

Reference: Section 14-5 Prince William County Code
"(5) Operating or permitting to be operated any powered model aircraft in the outdoors during the nighttime. Any person desiring to use county parks or facilities to operate such aircraft at any time must first obtain permission from the park authority."

Also, Section 17-31 applies:
Restrictions on playing games, ball, etc.
Games or activities involving thrown or otherwise propelled objects, such as balls, stones, arrows, javelins, golf balls, model airplanes or rockets, shall be played or engaged in on park property only in areas set apart for such forms of recreation. Practicing or playing golf, baseball, softball, football, lacrosse, archery, hockey, tennis or other games of like character shall be permitted only on the fields, courts and areas specifically provided for the purpose. Scheduled times for play in specific areas shall be observed.

I contacted Parks and Recreation Main Office (703) 792-7060 and spoke with someone there. It seems they have started to get more calls about this, so I will report back any process to get Park Authority approval, or if I was denied. Hopefully they are willing to grant approval, or carve out some space for us to enjoy our hobby.

I'm part of Prince William County as I live in manassas.. but any app I check with gives me No fly zone with red circle saying part of DC area

The DC No-Fly zone (30 miles) has 2 rings. 0-15 mile Inner ring is off limits (requires special permit?) 15-30 mile Outer ring is okay for hobbyists, and this includes Prince William County. Manassas airport 5 mile rules apply, but information was posted on Manassas City website regarding drones, and links for online airport notification and # to notify the Manassas Airport tower.

I use the B4UFly app, but also found recommendations on this forum for an app called Hover (iOS and Android). I like Hover because it shows more detail then the FAA one, including weather/wind speeds, no-fly zones, etc. Hope this helps....

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Hello all - new to the forum.

Regarding Prince William County Park Authority - all PWC parks do not allow drones, unless you get prior approval from Park Authority:

Reference: Section 14-5 Prince William County Code
"(5) Operating or permitting to be operated any powered model aircraft in the outdoors during the nighttime. Any person desiring to use county parks or facilities to operate such aircraft at any time must first obtain permission from the park authority."

Way I read that is that it's night time flying?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj