Flying from inside house or car anyone?

IMG_0830.PNG
3 or 4 of these guys out today. Looks like the 20th is almost here

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Meanwhile, while I wait for time to work on a car/truck mount, tripod and mount came today for the Maxx setup. :) This should crack walnuts until then...
54eeeb0421f4552acd9cca7dd07e45df.jpg

503d1f1d534162db7583e692720658a1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Looks like you're ready to burn birds. (Ask Jeremiah where some are..)

I like popping the neighbors popcorn in their cupboards when I power on...

Reactions: JohnnyB
This is the current car setup: many thanks to all for the tips/knowledge you have shared.
10' of LMR 400 connected to RP SMA male to RP SMA female pigtails for the RC:

RF Linx 2400SAXU amps powered by DC-DC 12V converter. I am working on replacing the antenna cables to (shorter) LMR 400 with custom n mag base mount.

The antennae I am testing at the moment.The L-Com 8.5dBi is for control/TX; for video/RX I am using a 6dBi low profile multi-polarized antenna that is touted to provide "unequalled wireless communication in obstructed, non-line-of-sight (NLOS) environments." (See datasheet).You can't get any more low-profile than this.

A quick run I did this evening (2200 ft out) was encouraging (see HealthyDrones ). I will be doing additional testing, to see how well it performs. (when I get my drone back.)
So what is your general opinion on the low pro MP polarized antenna? I am thinking of getting a pair, but want to know it's Phantom distance/penetration value. Did you fly using two or just one? (Control or video side?) Nvrmnd, just re-read your post. Next question: What cable type/connector is the MP polarized low pro mount?

Last edited:
So what is your general opinion on the low pro MP polarized antenna? I am thinking of getting a pair, but want to know it's Phantom distance/penetration value. Did you fly using two or just one? (Control or video side?) Nvrmnd, just re-read your post. Next question: What cable type/connector is the MP polarized low pro mount?

I had gotten a Larsen 0-3000 MHz Magnet Mount/ RG58/A cable with SMA male connector (link) so I am currently using an N adaptor.

If I could just get someone to come to my house and bring me a bologna samidge everyday, I'd just stay home and build/fab/test/fly/read this forum! Gets better by the day!! You guys are killin' me! :) (In the best way) I have GOT to get these LTX's figured out..

LMAO!!!
Man, didn't take long to get 5 pages behind :O Good $hit!!

Reactions: cstout and JohnnyB
Well, I finally got my cable and had to laugh at the absurdity of it all when it was installed.
i51bAZN.jpg

GhvrQzI.jpg

What I thought was interesting and it may simply be a disadvantage of omni's in my congested environment. I did two test flights: one with the DBS antenna w/3w sunhans and one with the omni's w/rf linx. Distance-wise they flew roughly the same, however the omni's had much more intermittent signal loss during the flight. It was much blurrier/lower quality for most of the flight when at approximately 4000'.

I'll probably have to test in other areas, but right now I'm going to fix my mistake of ordering LMR-400 to the remote. Wow, that's not nearly as flexible as I was expecting and it takes up most of the interior of my small car. haha, whoops!

Need more lumber bro....lol, Low loss 2x4's are hard to come by... :)

Need more lumber bro....lol, Low loss 2x4's are hard to come by... :)
Haha I love the creative use of your sunroof! I was going to build mine like that but decided to use screw-in magnets to keep the stands smaller so I can move it easier between vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Haha I love the creative use of your sunroof! I was going to build mine like that but decided to use screw-in magnets to keep the stands smaller so I can move it easier between vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I like how you did that !! Great idea..
My Omni's are mounted on mag. bases now, I feel that I have lost a bit of video signal.
I really like having the antenna mounted rt. on the amp.

Turbo

Reactions: JohnnyB and cstout
This is what happens when you can't commit to a permanent install...lol
It does say " flying from inside the house" at least I figured out the put the bird outside ;)
Finally a day without 20+ mph winds and an extra hour... yah, figured I could at least buzz up and down the river and look for birds...lol... nothing... Decided to see how far it would go straight out thru the glass at ground level.. WTH.. I figured 1000/1500 ft....
Sorry about the video quality. I am figuring out this K1 Tab and recorded in 480 :eek: my bad.

It does say " flying from inside the house" at least I figured out the put the bird outside ;)
Finally a day without 20+ mph winds and an extra hour... yah, figured I could at least buzz up and down the river and look for birds...lol... nothing... Decided to see how far it would go straight out thru the glass at ground level.. WTH.. I figured 1000/1500 ft....
Sorry about the video quality. I am figuring out this K1 Tab and recorded in 480 :eek: my bad.
Good stuff! That looked.... Cold! You know it's cold when it's to cold for birds! I was gonna look for birds.. but here in KY, I'd find like... Chickens... Crows.. turkey... Not quiet the attractive birds that Jeremiah has..lol

Ballsey low battery "I'll land when I'm good and ready" landing. It snows in Michigan? (rolls eyes) I spent a year in Lapeer and I've never been the same.

Good stuff! That looked.... Cold! You know it's cold when it's to cold for birds! I was gonna look for birds.. but here in KY, I'd find like... Chickens... Crows.. turkey... Not quiet the attractive birds that Jeremiah has..lol

Kentucky chickens are delicious... fried. The colonel says so. The ones that live a large bucket are the best.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Ballsey low battery "I'll land when I'm good and ready" landing. It snows in Michigan? (rolls eyes) I spent a year in Lapeer and I've never been the same.
Could you test something for me? It appears as though you live in a fairly sparse area. (Low WIFI). And I noticed signal loss at 4,500 ft. If you attached a wire to a known good house ground and to the coax connector metal, I am wondering if that would improve signal. I am going to try it at my house (VERY high WIFI interference) Hopefully this weekend if the rains/winds stop. If a simple thing as grounding the antennas improves performance, it would be a great tool for all of us to know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart