Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Don't use amps in serial unless you know exactly what you do. If you exchange ur cables see what changed. But: If you got Rf-linx 2400 series you should be able to measure all. Shuffle around things and measure. As Jeremiah wrote.
Indeed. Serial config is not the way I'd go. I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H866PMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to measure. Measuring will show where problems/capacity lie. It is fun to learn and biuld this stuff, almost as much as it is to use it.

I've realized lots in this conversation. Things that I've already read, but just now hit home.
Grammaton's quote, "loss is a big factor" got me to thinking of connections. I know all this has been covered but....
My L-coms, I have a magnet base with a N type end. I bought it that way to be able to go to the rf linx Amp. Then I have LMR400 to go from amp to injector. The from injector to RC, 3' LMR240 whip. I think it was stated that for every connection, you suffer a loss of 2 to 3 dB. If this is correct, I found loss already.
To ba able to go from the L-coms straight to the remote, I have to go "through" the sunhans, not powered, because of the ends and cable I'm limited to. So if I'm going to use the rf Linx, I'm covered. Ditch the magnetic base, antenna straight to amp, 400 straight to injector, then the 240 whip. Cuts cable length from 23' to 13' in my car set up. To use L-coms with sunhans, I need a magnet base with SMA ends. To take L-coms straight to remote, I need magnet base with RP-SMA ends. Holy cow that's a lot to deal with and a lot of extra cables to buy to get the best out of what I have and do so with the least amount of loss. I had to buy a N type coupler to connect my magnet base to my whip to be able to use my sunhans. There's a loss.
I remember a statement IBV said.. "Every dB is worth fighting for when at the edge of your range." Makes much more since now that I've realized the loss I'm suffering by using couplers.. etc.

So in bear's situation, not using the rf linx amp and going straight to remote or to his sunhans, one loss is having to still go through the rf linx amp when it's not being used. Just like adding a coupler. There's a couple dB loss. But not much he could do about that except to always use that amp. Bear, do you have that cable marked that's hooked to the amp to know which is which? Need to know for sure. May not be as simple to switch cables on the RC when you only use the one amp. You would be switching the amp from video to control, or visa versa.
With all this finally sinking in, it's on now!!! Thanks guys!!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
You got it correct in doing this!!
"Ditch the magnetic base, antenna straight to amp,"

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
You got it correct in doing this!!
"Ditch the magnetic base, antenna straight to amp,"[/QUOTE
Why you only use one Rf-linx amp? You can also mount the amps to a magnet base and connect the antennas directly. Using an amp not powered is no good option at all. Maybe I didn't understand your challenge you want to master fully... You're welcome to summarize shortly what you got and want to achieve..
It's a lot of try and error at the end. All the best!:)

WB IBV! I've been wondering if you were finished with your setup... And if you have gotten to test??

Kind of finished.. Mobile setup, car setup, tripod setup and house setup is finished. In February I will finalize the works for the trailer based mast system with 9m telescopic mast, directional antennas (24db) and auto tracking. :)
Would be way easier if Dji would use 1100 or 900 Mhz band...

I agree that may be a confusing post. I was only stating that with the small amount of cables I have, that left me forced to go through amps unpowered if i only wanted to go from Lcom straight to RC. (Just for test purposes) I do know its not good to do so.
My original cable order, which is still what I have, was based on an rf linx car set up. Antenna straight to amp, 10' lmr 400 straight to injector, 3' lmr 240 whip to RC. I was stating what I would need to test various setups having least amount of loss. I definitely need the correct cables to do so.
I now also have the evo DBS02 kit for portable flying, and wanted to test those little amps with the L-coms, but don't really have the correct cables to do so without adding an adapter, which I understand is a bit of loss.
Just getting a start on learning/testing/building, but it's going to take me some time to collect correct components to achieve a good setup.

Reactions: hotashes and IBV
Kind of finished.. Mobile setup, car setup, tripod setup and house setup is finished. In February I will finalize the works for the trailer based mast system with 9m telescopic mast, directional antennas (24db) and auto tracking. :)
Would be way easier if Dji would use 1100 or 900 Mhz band...
I'll sure give it to ya, your all in! I feel lucky to have been able to get what I have so far and probably can't get much more so my mobile will end up staying DBS02, car will be L-com with ?? amps, (haven't made my mind up yet whether I'm doing a home install.. if not, I'll use RF linx in the car set-up.) , And if I do a home install, I may go for a higher dB antenna. Maybe over time.....
I know you've posted a few pics in antenna jungle, and love your setup, but I know me and a few others here are patiently awaiting test vids from your setups. Please don't leave us hanging... :)

Did some more flights today and got better results with a slight course change when I fly to the south. So I think overall I will be happy with this setup. Just have a small window I have to stay in the farther away I get. Also is anyone else having trouble with the satellite map loading on the dji go app 3.1.1?

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_205259_777.JPG
    IMG_20161227_205259_777.JPG
    799.2 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: JohnnyB
Did some more flights today and got better results with a slight course change when I fly to the south. So I think overall I will be happy with this setup. Just have a small window I have to stay in the farther away I get. Also is anyone else having trouble with the satellite map loading on the dji go app 3.1.1?
Nice bear! Been trying to make up my mind whether or not to do a home install.. this pic really makes it tempting. So, how much is 100' of lmr 400?

Reactions: jhax01
Just wondering if you noticed a noticeable difference with antennas closer together this time.?.

LOL, you noticed... and they were crocked too. That was a ooops moment test. set em on the roof real quick to run the cables and forgot to position them.
Not a ton of difference but seems to work better 24/30" apart.

Turbo

LOL, you noticed... and they were crocked too. That was a ooops moment test. set em on the roof real quick to run the cables and forgot to position them.
Not a ton of difference but seems to work better 24/30" apart.

Turbo
Yep, first watch, but forgot to ask. When I seen it, I thought of measuring how far apart the stock ones were in relation to their height... The L-coms are approx 3.6 times taller than the stock antennas, (and I know the actual elements are what should be measured but... Just a theory) and the stock antennas are approx 3 1/8" on center apart, (weird) so 3 1/8" X 3.6 = 11 1/4". Close to ideal spread??? Or, a reference to a minimum spread? (To much thinking again? May want an asprin Turb..hahaha) You could've been on to something. .?.?.?

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbomania
John, thinkin' get's it done better...

One more thing that's been on my mind.. and again I have to relate to my recording studio... I KNOW that to much gain distorts an audio signal, and any other signal as far as that goes.. how could we tell if this happens with our systems? Easy to tell in audio because it can be heard... May see it on video side, what about the control side? Any gain distortion whatsoever would have a negative impact on performance... But makes me wonder, what's the limits on dB/gain/watts on antennas/amps in our situation? How do we tell?

Edit: in audio, there are meters that measures, in real time, the signal and if we clip the gain, the meter goes into the red letting us know that the gain has been exceeded. (Plus we hear it distort) Would there be such a meter to let us know if control side gain is exceeded?

Last edited:
Reactions: cstout
I'll sure give it to ya, your all in! I feel lucky to have been able to get what I have so far and probably can't get much more so my mobile will end up staying DBS02, car will be L-com with ?? amps, (haven't made my mind up yet whether I'm doing a home install.. if not, I'll use RF linx in the car set-up.) , And if I do a home install, I may go for a higher dB antenna. Maybe over time.....
I know you've posted a few pics in antenna jungle, and love your setup, but I know me and a few others here are patiently awaiting test vids from your setups. Please don't leave us hanging... :)

I will post videos of all once I got time. Unfortunately not before end of Feb. Last flight from the car setup was promising with 6 km without loosing signal and 5,5km from the house with a few trees in between. I gotta test it one way flight to find out how far out the signal is stable. However, penetration through these irksome trees and range same time is the reason for all the extra equipment. The omni setup is fine for most situations and for the rest I got the 20db panels from yagi.pl both, unbeatable strong and cheap.
Cable quality seem to be more important than expected...

Latest flight using 8.5db L-com, 3 watt Saunhaus, 9ft. Coax (5ft. RG-6, 4 ft.of whatever L-com slaps the mag mounts together with (( not impressed)))
I am however impressed with this flight. I had to swap cables. First flight , lost signal @ 600ft... can't explain, Second flight with swapped cables, full bars pretty much to 10,000 ft.. could've gone way more. This with Sunhaus "I hear every Electrical noise in the state" 3 watt.amps. . I am trying to eliminate length of cables, connectors, and anything that sucks the feed outta the display. Control signal just laughs and gives me what I need to control, but video is very important, more than signal, like if the alligator was snapping in your face, I'd want to see it before I couldn't get away from it. Got my RF-Linx 2400 series amps and gonna mount them (like a couger in battle throws) in a enclosure coupled with the L-coms and park-n-fly giving the local sheriff's lead time to find tha' errant Phantom lurking through the innocent town at dusk. I chose to omit the injectors and enjoy the added db. cause the less the connections... the more db. is thrown through the coax.

Latest flight using 8.5db L-com, 3 watt Saunhaus, 9ft. Coax (5ft. RG-6, 4 ft.of whatever L-com slaps the mag mounts together with (( not impressed)))
I am however impressed with this flight. I had to swap cables. First flight , lost signal @ 600ft... can't explain, Second flight with swapped cables, full bars pretty much to 10,000 ft.. ...]

Thanks for sharing. A couple questions...when you "swapped cables", do you mean switching one cable for the other (perhaps they are different grades of cables) or you swapped cables from Tx (Control) connector to Rx(Video). Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: hotashes

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydistribution