Flying from inside house or car anyone?

It's not just turbo's ice flight vid loss in turn, I've also noticed in different vid's. Dirtdroner, (I believe) changed his dipoles placement because he was losing vid in the turns.. when he did change dipoles orientation, this was helped. Seems when at the edge of range, the turns are a common place to lose vid.
I am in fact testing di-pole placement, Alignment and the way the placement of the antennas either on car rooftop or in perspective of each other have impact of the all important signal.

Omni-directional's should never have any change, but placement of their bases could in fact have a impact of the ground planes.

Reactions: hotashes
I hate night shift!!! Anyways....
Good stuff Gram!!! I'm dealing with about the same thing trying to eliminate every connection possible. Just hadn't had time to fly working 12's on a shutdown, but....
I'm expecting more from the Omni's because on this flight, I went 14,000+ completely stock... and that's with a low powered GL300C. I realize that you (Gram) had much more interference to deal with, and, I haven't actually done a distance test run yet with the L-coms, (again, shutdown) but the L-com 8.5 dB should out do the stock 5 dB by a long shot in the same area. The data shows some weirdness in the logs... I didn't lose video one time in the flight, I turned around at the first glitch, but that was the only glitch. The other problem, was the GPS Atti thing.. but won't discuss here due to irrelevant to this thread.. Just saying I'm going to expect more, flying in the same spot of coarse.
It's cool to know how to make something work, like swapping cables with each other, as in, rx to tx or visa versa, but I always want to know why it helps. Just a thougt, if I have my rx and tx right, rx is on the right on remote, (holding it) and if the p4 is flying away from you, the tx is on the right leg throwing video back to the remote, same if the bird is flying back to you, so, the signals are never crossed. Video is always on right in the air, and control on the left. Makes me wonder if this is the difference when you swap cables. Maybe your first run, the signals were having to cross each other. I could be wrong, just trying to understand the "why".
(This flight).. pretty good data... Try the same ( mission?) at lower alt. to get that valley data and let us see!!!

So far placement of mag mounts on vehicle roof have no significant changes of signal strengths. But, the sensitivity of microwave wavelength frequencies make for the significance of everything, (placement, connectors, type of antennas/cables. Directions of antennas and angles of beamed transmissions of all sorts.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Off the top, I did watch it, From what I've seen/experienced, loss occurs when interference OR blockage occurs. So, Video lock/freeze or similar thing happens if interference (happens alot) or blockage (that group of trees blocked my olympic moment shot). I read a post of a guy stating he just paused, as the freeze/signal loss/ channel change happened and continued on (It is easy to say to pause as the trees are coming at the screen), but I see his point. This technology is awesome, but is limited in certain ways (Chinese satellite blasts). I always need to step back, and know , I am Niel Armstrong of the Drone testing (the guy in back of Cape Canaveral bringing Tang to Buzz Aldrin). When Buzz shows ABC news how he filmed the crater with the crashed UFO in it ... it will be me having perfected the tech.... One giant leap.... indeed.... (Insert laughter here)
Ok.. now I drink!!! (Coffee... Lots more coffee)

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

All in all I've proven distance, 10,000 ft @ 250ft alt. is sufficient. Now, I need to prove saturation/coverage at very low altitude. (I.E.10ft. or so).. Behind buildings, and trees/other objects. That will require watts, quiet connections/environment and equipment configuration. Creeping up on "Sally" on her walk to the store, being able to orbit "her" and not losing cohesive signal feed will take a bit of planning and caffine-minded plotting. If "Sally" feels a radiating microwave heat upon her... it's NOT me orbiting nearby, It's the Phantom recording the data for others to be able to "couch fly" these " varmints of joy"....

Reactions: JohnnyB and cstout
I'll be honest... I 'll fly these missions to the "T" for consistant results... But when it comes to " Vietnam" fly to the Tiet valley up 'tha Congs A** you got it pegged sir...

I like your " Cong" method,,,,

You flying up the valley floor , up the hill... to the non-existant, suprised cow and back through the elf trees impressed me.

Thanks for sharing. A couple questions...when you "swapped cables", do you mean switching one cable for the other (perhaps they are different grades of cables) or you swapped cables from Tx (Control) connector to Rx(Video). Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Same RG-6 5ft, same (whatever L-com taped to their mag mounts)

Reactions: ebi718
I currently have used 5ft to controller/4 ft to ants. I am considering 4" complete change to RG-6, amp to antenna... (don't tell my antenna coax).....That would require a "drilling out" (Hitler voice) of the mag mount to place the RG-6 in place of L-coms communist coax... I did look into Better coax , like Ham radio grade LMR-240 and above all the the way to LMR-1200 Nuclear grade coax. I think Mid grades will be good as long as the conncections are good. Minimizing the number of needed connections as well as the plotted lengths of coaxial cable will net the scruptious number of db and signal levels. On my "Outside the condo" antenna, I need a 50ft. coax cable, min... The RX Linx amps along with my new found data will boost that Stuff up... "Sally's" neighborhood walk just got a little better....

Latest flight using 8.5db L-com, 3 watt Saunhaus, 9ft. Coax (5ft. RG-6, 4 ft.of whatever L-com slaps the mag mounts together with (( not impressed)))
I am however impressed with this flight. I had to swap cables. First flight , lost signal @ 600ft... can't explain, Second flight with swapped cables, full bars pretty much to 10,000 ft.. could've gone way more. This with Sunhaus "I hear every Electrical noise in the state" 3 watt.amps. . I am trying to eliminate length of cables, connectors, and anything that sucks the feed outta the display. Control signal just laughs and gives me what I need to control, but video is very important, more than signal, like if the alligator was snapping in your face, I'd want to see it before I couldn't get away from it. Got my RF-Linx 2400 series amps and gonna mount them (like a couger in battle throws) in a enclosure coupled with the L-coms and park-n-fly giving the local sheriff's lead time to find tha' errant Phantom lurking through the innocent town at dusk. I chose to omit the injectors and enjoy the added db. cause the less the connections... the more db. is thrown through the coax.
Nice run over all that Noise!

I currently have used 5ft to controller/4 ft to ants. I am considering 4" complete change to RG-6, amp to antenna... (don't tell my antenna coax).....That would require a "drilling out" (Hitler voice) of the mag mount to place the RG-6 in place of L-coms communist coax... I did look into Better coax , like Ham radio grade LMR-240 and above all the the way to LMR-1200 Nuclear grade coax. I think Mid grades will be good as long as the conncections are good. Minimizing the number of needed connections as well as the plotted lengths of coaxial cable will net the scruptious number of db and signal levels. On my "Outside the condo" antenna, I need a 50ft. coax cable, min... The RX Linx amps along with my new found data will boost that Stuff up... "Sally's" neighborhood walk just got a little better....
LMR-400...
edit.... that's what IBV would say...lol :)

"LMR-240 $1.24 ft.
LMR-400 $ 1.35ft
LMR-1200 $8.00ft.
LMR-1700 $17.00ft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member