Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Same problem I deal with Bear. Tree's all around my house...
Mounted mine the same way...
Low loss lumber ..Lol
Good luck getting them up in the air. Let us know what you come up with and how it performs.

I'm afraid I would need to go up at least 75ft.
I'll have to settle for the 5 to 8K range circle I play in punching thru the tree's.
Ya this is what my brother in law wanted to start with to see how well it worked. Which I have no problem with and don't mind the coverage I get just the way they are. My brother in-law now wants to put them higher because I have ten feet of cable not being used and he doesn't like that. Which again I am cool with cause he will make sure and do it right. I just need to find the right parts first. I really need to go higher than 20' but that is all the cable I have. Plus like you I would have to be about 75' up in the air.

Ya this is what my brother in law wanted to start with to see how well it worked. Which I have no problem with and don't mind the coverage I get just the way they are. My brother in-law now wants to put them higher because I have ten feet of cable not being used and he doesn't like that. Which again I am cool with cause he will make sure and do it right. I just need to find the right parts first. I really need to go higher than 20' but that is all the cable I have. Plus like you I would have to be about 75' up in the air.

Can't have any wasted cable...lol
I used every inch getting mine where your at. They were rt on the fascia. Adding the few feet made a difference.
10Ft more should get you out a bit further..

Turbo

I just wish I had some first hand knowledge of these mounts. Of course all of this is new to me sooo. Thanks for the advice and links.
Fair enough. However, you may be overthinking a simple task because there's hardly any weight at top to deal with. A 3' tripod type base would be supporting right at a third of a 10' mast which you said you have 10' of extra cable. No guy wires needed. Use screws in the feet instead of roofing nails. Just an opinion from the construction minded.
Cheers,
JB

Fair enough. However, you may be overthinking a simple task because there's hardly any weight at top to deal with. A 3' tripod type base would be supporting right at a third of a 10' mast which you said you have 10' of extra cable. No guy wires needed. Use screws in the feet instead of roofing nails. Just an opinion from the construction minded.
Cheers,
JB
The mast will be about 20' tall when all is said and done. The antennas are about 6' above the roof now and still have about ten more feet of cable I can use to go up higher. So I still think you may be right about the tripod approach, but I know I will need guy lines when I get that tall. Which is another concern I have.

Reactions: JohnnyB
More distance testing with Alien Tech amp today. Decided to test it against mag base Omni's straight to the RC. No amp.
How did the L Coms do with no amp and 10ft of LMR-180. ( The Bases )

Gota get to bed, back to work tonight.. I'll post up the Heathy Drone later...

Flew RF linx with L coms. Noted tripods had to be at least 25 ft apart for crosstalk to stop.

Not only that it's actually against FAA rules to fly from inside a moving or non moving vehicle I believe
This has been discussed to death in the beginning of this thread.
Thanks for your insight.

Flew RF linx with L coms. Noted tripods had to be at least 25 ft apart for crosstalk to stop.
The cross talk doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
Did it perform better with them that far apart Gram ??

Finally got my MaxxUav kit in. I just got the Dbs02 normal antenna with the clean install kit, as I was really just after the conversion anyway. Let the games begin! Jake was awesome and responded to pre-purchase questions via Facebook almost immediately. Had everything installed and back together in less than an hour.
763de99bfdcca974a984a6cd60af1a31.jpg

Finally got my MaxxUav kit in. I just got the Dbs02 normal antenna with the clean install kit, as I was really just after the conversion anyway. Let the games begin!
That Antenna will treat you well. Johnny loves his..
Both of there antenna's are great options. Super good performance !
Only down side to any panel antenna is it needs to be pointed at the bird. Not a big deal...
Us lazy guys that can't aim go the Omni antenna route. a pain in the butt to get right but no need to aim. Works well in a car or house application..
I do see myself with that MaxxUav set up on a tri pod some day :)
Like my hero Grams... :)

Turbo

More distance testing with Alien Tech amp today. Decided to test it against mag base Omni's straight to the RC. No amp.
How did the L Coms do with no amp and 10ft of LMR-180. ( The Bases )

Gota get to bed, back to work tonight.. I'll post up the Heathy Drone later...

Hear we go..
L Com 8.5 Omni's on magnetic bases direct to RC ( No Amp )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Who would have thought. Over 18K with just antenna's and I turned around for battery. Still had signal. Not much, but could of milked 20K out of it.. Dam... completely blew the Alien Tech amp run away !!
I need to wrap my brain around this...lol

Same antenna set up but with a Alien Tech amp mounted on the RC.
Two different runs in different area's
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Same Day and spot as above run )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Last weeks run )

Don't think the Alien Tech likes Omni's or it sucks ?

The cross talk doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
Did it perform better with them that far apart Gram ??
performed pretty good however I was looking at other things and in a rush as usual so I didn't test them both close together and far apart I just noticed the receive light was flickering when they were too close together and when I spread them out it stopped flickering

Hear we go..
L Com 8.5 Omni's on magnetic bases direct to RC ( No Amp )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Who would have thought. Over 18K with just antenna's and I turned around for battery. Still had signal. Not much, but could of milked 20K out of it.. Dam... completely blew the Alien Tech amp run away !!
I need to wrap my brain around this...lol

Same antenna set up but with a Alien Tech amp mounted on the RC.
Two different runs in different area's
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Same Day and spot as above run )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Last weeks run )

Don't think the Alien Tech likes Omni's or it sucks ?
You didn't know? Aliens are near sighted.

Reactions: Turbomania
You didn't know? Aliens are near sighted.
I knew there was an good explanation. lmao :)
Check out those bad azz L Com's... 18K ft... Couldn't believe it just kept going..
If that is too far out just install an Alien Tech amp too limit your distance :O

Reactions: JohnnyB
I knew there was an good explanation. lmao :)
Check out those bad azz L Com's... 18K ft... Couldn't believe it just kept going..
If that is too far out just install an Alien Tech amp too limit your distance :O
Get a meter already! (Lol)

That Antenna will treat you well. Johnny loves his..
Both of there antenna's are great options. Super good performance !
Only down side to any panel antenna is it needs to be pointed at the bird. Not a big deal...
Us lazy guys that can't aim go the Omni antenna route. a pain in the butt to get right but no need to aim. Works well in a car or house application..
I do see myself with that MaxxUav set up on a tri pod some day :)
Like my hero Grams... :)

Turbo
Agreed. The panel is great, but the conversion to SMA on the RC was what I was after. Thanks to you guys (no thanks from my wife) I had a couple Rflinx boosters and Lcoms on the way before this was ever purchased! Can't wait to get setup.

Reactions: Turbomania
Get a meter already! (Lol)
There has to be more to this than power output ?? Could be wrong.
I am assuming an amped antenna would show more power/gain being output. But does that = more range ??
This is IBV stuff here...lol

Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB
There has to be more to this than power output ?? Could be wrong.
I am assuming an amped antenna would show more power/gain being output. But does that = more range ??
This is IBV stuff here...lol
Could have a bad amp..??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT