Flying from inside house or car anyone?

There has to be more to this than power output ?? Could be wrong.
I am assuming an amped antenna would show more power/gain being output. But does that = more range ??
This is IBV stuff here...lol
I think with some of the amps out there, the internals are just of poor quality. The amp is kicking up the signal AND noise. Some of the better amps such as the Rflinx do a better job of filtering some of that amped noise. With the "lesser" amps, I think the noise is just competing to heavily with signal and thus reducing the effectiveness.

Could have a bad amp..??

No way. The Green Alien head was lite up. Lol

Without a meter it's a guess...
It does raise the noise floor when you turn on the amp, In channel monitor, DJI Go app.
Does decent up close in the trees but doesn't deal well with distance.
Too much noise for it too handle with the Omni's ??
Who knows...Lol
I'm just excited she flew 18K with a pair of antennas.. will be checking that set up out some more..

Turb,
Yep that's about as simple as it gets. I tried it once and got up to 14,000 feet in the same place that I fly a lot and the hill gets me with whatever I'm using so I never did get to find out how much farther it would have went. But that's awesome man thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Turbomania
Was that with your 300A Turbo?
Yes sir, The 300A.
Didn't really see much difference in any of the 3 RC's I tested last year.
Am thinking about putting SMA's on my 300C, wanted to keep a stocker around but saw that you had good luck with those small screw on's..

Reactions: JohnnyB
Hear we go..
L Com 8.5 Omni's on magnetic bases direct to RC ( No Amp )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Who would have thought. Over 18K with just antenna's and I turned around for battery. Still had signal. Not much, but could of milked 20K out of it.. Dam... completely blew the Alien Tech amp run away !!
I need to wrap my brain around this...lol

Same antenna set up but with a Alien Tech amp mounted on the RC.
Two different runs in different area's
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Same Day and spot as above run )
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones ( Last weeks run )

Don't think the Alien Tech likes Omni's or it sucks ?
sorry I missed a few days threads haven't been keeping up without reading too many pages please could you tell me, I can actually fly without amplifiers fly w/ just the antennas.. I have the L com antennas with the 10 foot lead . would like to add 10 ft or so ..?

438b92fa41fb5b33f3069970aaf69c04.jpg

sorry I missed a few days threads haven't been keeping up without reading too many pages please could you tell me, I can actually fly without amplifiers fly w/ just the antennas.. I have the L com antennas with the 10 foot lead . would like to add 10 ft or so ..?
Are You Using The P4 Or The P4 Pro

These direct to the RC. I have run just them before, just never for distance without an amp.
Not sure how 10 more ft will effect it.

Are You Using The P4 Or The P4 Pro
P4

LOL, a few days missed in this thread can be a lot of pages... We are good entertainment for free :)

Yes sir, The 300A.
Didn't really see much difference in any of the 3 RC's I tested last year.
Am thinking about putting SMA's on my 300C, wanted to keep a stocker around but saw that you had good luck with those small screw on's..
Be handy to be able to leave a set-up, set up. (Home station)

Reactions: Turbomania
"Un-amped" is a bad word to some on here.. be careful! (lmao) ((eats popcorn))
It cost me $130 and countless hours reading for the Amp 101 class. (Worth it) Even though it all had pretty much been said already, I had to buy a meter ($130) and see it with my own eyes for it to click.
A couple sets of my 3W amps only boost the signal path 4 - 5% of 1W, which was set by the 11dBm worth of input the amp received from the P4 RC. That was my first lesson. Second was this...
Though these types of amps may help a bit in a interference free environment, any other place, IMNO (the N being 'new') you might as well hook straight up to the RC and have a lot less to deal with, (especially if in an area where distance/penetration isn't important, like up for quick pictures/video within VLOS) "UNLESS" your using a quality amp with AGC, (Automatic gain control) and band pass filters, which helps keep the output clean and constant on TX, and reduces the noise floor for a clean RX, (most important for us) which will help penetrate things like noise from other devices in the area, trees, rocks, buildings to a certain point, etc.... Pick your set-up for the situation your flying in. It's nice to have that choice and that choice is important to many here. Hope this helps. (How'd I do IBV? LOL)

Edit - More cable = more signal loss hence the need for signal boost to help make up the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBV and lone droner
It cost me $130 and countless hours reading for the Amp 101 class. (Worth it) Even though it all had pretty much been said already, I had to buy a meter ($130) and see it with my own eyes for it to click.
A couple sets of my 3W amps only boost the signal path 4 - 5% of 1W, which was set by the 11dBm worth of input the amp received from the P4 RC. That was my first lesson. Second was this...
Though these types of amps may help a bit in a interference free environment, any other place, IMNO (the N being 'new') you might as well hook straight up to the RC and have a lot less to deal with, (especially if in an area where distance/penetration isn't important, like up for quick pictures/video within VLOS) "UNLESS" your using a quality amp with AGC, (Automatic gain control) and band pass filters, which helps keep the output clean and constant on TX, and reduces the noise floor for a clean RX, (most important for us) which will help penetrate things like noise from other devices in the area, trees, rocks, buildings to a certain point, etc.... Pick your set-up for the situation your flying in. It's nice to have that choice and that choice is important to many here. Hope this helps. (How'd I do IBV? LOL)

Edit - More cable = more signal loss hence the need for signal boost to help make up the difference.
Well put..

I'll step in for IBV JohnnyB...here ya go!
johnnyB.jpg

Oh gosh!! Bwahahahahaha(Laugh.. cough cough!) Killing me! Just getting over an asthma attack.. the coughing was real..hahaha I saved that one... Funny as heck!!! I don't even care if it was sarcastic.. still funny! Lol

LOL...nothing sarcastic, just good fun! As a side note, I ave heard that laughter is good for a .1 increase in db

Ok.. I've graduated, (smart a**) now what? Lol
Since I live in the hills, and have to park on slants now and then, for my car mount L-com/SAXU amps set-up (amps in route) I'm getting ready to build an adjustable antenna mount that will let me plumb up both antennas from one side. Fast and easy. The slant is pretty bad sticking the magnet base to the car even on level surfaces and according to this video, it does make a difference....

Lol.. thanks. You getting 18,000' Un-amped, you'd think there would be a little penetration too. How about a little with/without penetration test?.. [emoji33]
Never thought to test it in the tree's without the amps.. Will be trying this soon.

After i replace the left landing gear and left rear motor.
Finally crashed her. Clipped a tree branch 15 ft up.
It still flies but the motor makes me nervous.
Dam VLOS... I had just taken off my goggles at the end of a flight. Was bring it in old school and fricken blew it..
I swear i can fly much safer FPV.

Something like this JohnnyB. There are different variations of these intended for marine and RV applications. Jumpstart for the idea process anyway.
92e77194f4e46214e72f8a85c15373e0.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT