Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Specs of 3W sunhans.. input: 0 - 20dB... May need the 20dB input to get the full 3 watts of boost. The RC puts out 11dB. Can anyone confirm?

Ok guys. Here's something I want to bring to the table because we all use amps/boosters on our mods. You guys may already know, but I'm just discovering/learning and bet others had no idea too. So here it goes....
I read a review on a 4W amp that stated that to get the full 36dB power of the amp, there needs to be a 21dBm input. So, the last week I've wondered and pondered on this quote. This morning, I hook up 40dB worth of attenuators to the meter (because of the expected 34dB from a 3W boost) and start measuring. My GL300C measured what it should hooked straight to it, 12mW - converts to 11dBm + 5 for factory antenna + 1 for loss through connectors = 17dB total. (Thats in the specs for this RC as "CE"???...Suppose to be 23dB FCC??... I'll deal with that later) My meter is reading really close according to what's expected in specs. Then, I add my 3W sunhan. 3W converts to 34.77dBm. Hook up my meter, and WOW! I only got a reading of 61mW! Keep in mind 1W = 1000mW. Thats only a 49mW boost. Without adding antenna, thats 17.85dBm total! If I add the factory 5dB antenna and connection loss, 23.85 dB total. A 3W booster only brought me up to FCC specs. (Conspiracy? Lolol) A "pre" amp would be needed to get the full 3 watts of boost.??
So, there's something to soak on for today. If anyone can shed light on this, by all means... it's a mod thread.. discuss away!
"Pre" amp needed.... Or "Bad/weak" amp?????

JB out
(Update: all my amps are consistent with these measurements. I seriously doubt they're all bad.)

First of all it's good to hear you got at least the direct measurment according to specs. However, measuring high frequencies can be quite challenging without knowing what the RC is exactly doing at the moment of measuring. So this is the first parameter which can be changing over time.
Be aware of that the Sunhans amps require a certain minimum input to be delivering fully. To my knowledge they haven't got one of these sophisticated AGC (automatic gain control) that will give you steady output once reaching a certain threshold.
Also their mbandpass filters are not that good. I got 2 pieces 4W Sunhans at home and they are useless because the RC with some cable inbetween isn't strong enough to get the amp amplifying reasonably. That's where other amps are making the difference. The RF-linx only needs 1mW to deliver into the AGC and the expensive L-com 5mW. The Sunhans might also need a wider band to actually gain what is promised.
However, the Rx side is even more difficult to handle as the amplifier has to deal with a much weaker signal. It will rather amplify your mobile's wifi than the bird signal... that's where good quality pays off. The Sunhans 3 W or 2 W help of course a bit... But it's not as straight forward with converting power to range or penetration.... I use the Sunhans for up to 1,5km (CE). Beyond I use RF-linx... and if there is wifi noise or extreme long range I use RF-linx + directional antennas...

Reactions: JohnnyB
Specs of 3W sunhans.. input: 0 - 20dB... May need the 20dB input to get the full 3 watts of boost. The RC puts out 11dB. Can anyone confirm?
There you got it. Also I assume that 3Watt is the total power consumption when amplifyer gets into saturation on wide band. (in other words never with the RC connected ;))

@IBV..
Thanks for the knowledge and time answering. Very appreciated. Well, this sets me on a new path with new goals. Very much worth the time and effort to research. Getting it now.

The way I see it. We are already good on the TX side..
I'm all about the RX side.
RX gain.

Ok guys. Here's something I want to bring to the table because we all use amps/boosters on our mods. You guys may already know, but I'm just discovering/learning and bet others had no idea too. So here it goes....
I read a review on a 4W amp that stated that to get the full 36dB power of the amp, there needs to be a 21dBm input. So, the last week I've wondered and pondered on this quote. This morning, I hook up 40dB worth of attenuators to the meter (because of the expected 34dB from a 3W boost) and start measuring. My GL300C measured what it should hooked straight to it, 12mW - converts to 11dBm + 5 for factory antenna + 1 for loss through connectors = 17dB total. (Thats in the specs for this RC as "CE"???...Suppose to be 23dB FCC??... I'll deal with that later) My meter is reading really close according to what's expected in specs. Then, I add my 3W sunhan. 3W converts to 34.77dBm. Hook up my meter, and WOW! I only got a reading of 61mW! Keep in mind 1W = 1000mW. Thats only a 49mW boost. Without adding antenna, thats 17.85dBm total! If I add the factory 5dB antenna and connection loss, 23.85 dB total. A 3W booster only brought me up to FCC specs. (Conspiracy? Lolol) A "pre" amp would be needed to get the full 3 watts of boost.??
So, there's something to soak on for today. If anyone can shed light on this, by all means... it's a mod thread.. discuss away!
"Pre" amp needed.... Or "Bad/weak" amp?????

JB out

(Update: all my amps are consistent with these measurements. I seriously doubt they're all bad.)
I had mentioned while ago about pre-amping. Yes the amps final output is dependant on input levels. I made a flight a week ago and mistakenly ran my 4w's into my 8w's...... There was no lack of signal for sure, but it wasn't measured, so I have no idea what went in/out.

I had mentioned while ago about pre-amping. Yes the amps final output is dependant on input levels. I made a flight a week ago and mistakenly ran my 4w's into my 8w's...... There was no lack of signal for sure, but it wasn't measured, so I have no idea what went in/out.
Yeah, I get it now. First time I read my 2 favorite threads, (this and IBV's antenna jungle) there was LOTS I didn't understand. It's like learning a new trade. Re read and understand now. So, as a start to a new beginning, I have a set of SAXU's on the way. :)

Yeah, I get it now. First time I read my 2 favorite threads, (this and IBV's antenna jungle) there was LOTS I didn't understand. It's like learning a new trade. Re read and understand now. So, as a start to a new beginning, I have a set of SAXU's on the way. :)
May I ask, how are you gonna power these fine beasts?

May I ask, how are you gonna power these fine beasts?
35a972609de7ae70c972ca2a17a1c589.jpg

This work? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbomania
DJI_0010a.JPG

Ok so I want to mount a pole, only one and prefer fiberglass due to lightning. My concern is finding one strong enough and needs tie down spots while staying within a decent money range. I have done my searching and found a few different ones that may work, but would like some outsider advice.

Getting rid of the wood and replacing with a 20' pole mounted were the wood is now. Do not want to go from the ground up because it would use up what slack I have now to move to the edge of my roof to the pole.

I know this is not as technical as you guys have been talking,but still like some help.

Reactions: Turbomania and IBV
View attachment 79344
Ok so I want to mount a pole, only one and prefer fiberglass due to lightning. My concern is finding one strong enough and needs tie down spots while staying within a decent money range. I have done my searching and found a few different ones that may work, but would like some outsider advice.

Getting rid of the wood and replacing with a 20' pole mounted were the wood is now. Do not want to go from the ground up because it would use up what slack I have now to move to the edge of my roof to the pole.

I know this is not as technical as you guys have been talking,but still like some help.

Looks like a good start :) Lightning wise you anyway should use a lightning arrestor in case you want to keep the mast extended permanently. Getting the antennas up will definitley help to get around these trees seen in the picture.
The issue is how much money you want to spend. A comfort solution vs a budget solution. There are retractable masts available that use a small electro-motor to get from small to big or you just use a carbon fibre pole that you ground with a lightning protection. (anyway you should use it even if you use glass fibre due to the antennas mounted on it.) Here some taller versions. There are smaller versions available and of course also these poles with clamps.

2017-03-28_11-17-35.jpg
2017-03-28_11-17-35.jpg
2017-03-28_11-13-29.jpg

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Looks like a good start :) Lightning wise you anyway should use a lightning arrestor in case you want to keep the mast extended permanently. Getting the antennas up will definitley help to get around these trees seen in the picture.
The issue is how much money you want to spend. A comfort solution vs a budget solution. There are retractable masts available that use a small electro-motor to get from small to big or you just use a carbon fibre pole that you ground with a lightning protection. (anyway you should use it even if you use glass fibre due to the antennas mounted on it.) Here some taller versions. There are smaller versions available and of course also these poles with clamps.

View attachment 79351 View attachment 79351 View attachment 79352
Visa, gold bars or first born son...

Hell I am not even blue collar anymore. More like no collar, paralyzed and disabled. I saw the rohn masts and they're priced about right, but with my luck I should probably avoid a big metal pole on top my house even if I do ground it. IBV I like the looks of those adjustable mast, but hate to see the price tag. My other concern is mounting it to my roof and not letting it get blown away. Gramm I might give that fiberglass pole company a call and see what they think.

Reactions: IBV and Turbomania
View attachment 79344

Same problem I deal with Bear. Tree's all around my house...
Mounted mine the same way...
Low loss lumber ..Lol
Good luck getting them up in the air. Let us know what you come up with and how it performs.

I'm afraid I would need to go up at least 75ft.
I'll have to settle for the 5 to 8K range circle I play in punching thru the tree's.

Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB
Hell I am not even blue collar anymore. More like no collar, paralyzed and disabled. I saw the rohn masts and they're priced about right, but with my luck I should probably avoid a big metal pole on top my house even if I do ground it. IBV I like the looks of those adjustable mast, but hate to see the price tag. My other concern is mounting it to my roof and not letting it get blown away. Gramm I might give that fiberglass pole company a call and see what they think.
Hey bear.. here's a roof mount that may work for you...
Stellar Labs 3' Antenna Tripod | 33-10905 (3310905) | Stellar Labs
They make a 5' version too. Feet attaches under shingles. You don't have enough room for an ez-up gable mount so this would be another choice that's not to costly. Shouldn't take long for someone to install for you.
Good luck,
JB

Hey bear.. here's a roof mount that may work for you...
Stellar Labs 3' Antenna Tripod | 33-10905 (3310905) | Stellar Labs
They make a 5' version too. Feet attaches under shingles. You don't have enough room for an ez-up gable mount so this would be another choice that's not to costly. Shouldn't take long for someone to install for you.
Good luck,
JB
I just wish I had some first hand knowledge of these mounts. Of course all of this is new to me sooo. Thanks for the advice and links.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20