Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Last one. To be fair, here's 10' LMR400 "with" the whip/couplers, b/c it's how we use it.. Tested the same as magnet base.
eeb3e38d62a8f69b7712966ed890f20c.jpg

77b58838b3d169a7929a40a889711882.jpg
Question for the guy playing hooky... Does the reading stay the same all along the L-com's length?

Question for the guy playing hooky... Does the reading stay the same all along the L-com's length?
No. Every test I have always found the best hot spot to record readings. It goes up and down throughout. Seems there's three hot spots, bottom being the hottest on mine. I figure I'll test in the same manner in the future.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Hmmm.. says in the description (brass radiating elements utilize an air dielectric for lowest loss and superior radiating efficiency).... so I have argon in the garage..hmmmm [emoji12]

I have no idea what that means. The scientist writing it prbly wanted to sound educated so he wrote in cipher jargon.

Just got my 40ft of LMR-400 cables today. I hope to have them up this weekend if it doesn't rain. The neighbors are gonna have a cow when they are raised...

Think you guys will find this interesting....
After watching the video, Johnny just had to know what was inside his L-coms.... However, he didn't find a pot of gold.

I think the answer lies with this description. According to the meter, and readings I get from bottom to top, (with top being less), I would say I have one of those "traditional bottom feeders."
We all do, and we love our "Bottom feeders". They feed us the precious video feed from our couches.

After watching the video, Johnny just had to know what was inside his L-coms.... However, he didn't find a pot of gold.
My phone wouldn't let me open up description of this video, so if you didn't read it, this guy was having trouble with range which was the purpose of disassembling. Looks like the assembly line needs a new coffee pot!

Ok guys. Here's something I want to bring to the table because we all use amps/boosters on our mods. You guys may already know, but I'm just discovering/learning and bet others had no idea too. So here it goes....
I read a review on a 4W amp that stated that to get the full 36dB power of the amp, there needs to be a 21dBm input. So, the last week I've wondered and pondered on this quote. This morning, I hook up 40dB worth of attenuators to the meter (because of the expected 34dB from a 3W boost) and start measuring. My GL300C measured what it should hooked straight to it, 12mW - converts to 11dBm + 5 for factory antenna + 1 for loss through connectors = 17dB total. (Thats in the specs for this RC as "CE"???...Suppose to be 23dB FCC??... I'll deal with that later) My meter is reading really close according to what's expected in specs. Then, I add my 3W sunhan. 3W converts to 34.77dBm. Hook up my meter, and WOW! I only got a reading of 61mW! Keep in mind 1W = 1000mW. Thats only a 49mW boost. Without adding antenna, thats 17.85dBm total! If I add the factory 5dB antenna and connection loss, 23.85 dB total. A 3W booster only brought me up to FCC specs. (Conspiracy? Lolol) A "pre" amp would be needed to get the full 3 watts of boost.??
So, there's something to soak on for today. If anyone can shed light on this, by all means... it's a mod thread.. discuss away!
"Pre" amp needed.... Or "Bad/weak" amp?????

JB out

(Update: all my amps are consistent with these measurements. I seriously doubt they're all bad.)

Last edited:
Reactions: elarryland

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT