Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Speaking of...to avoid receiving so much interference it sounds like the 30 channel hack would be of much help here. Does it work on the most recent version (I'm referring to iOS, personally) of DJI Go 4? Everything I've found hasn't worked yet and I'm not sure if there's an updated config file somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I don't think they have the 32 channel working with 4 yet. I dislike 4, my K1 dislikes 4, Go 4 sucks. LOL. Just my opinion :) I use 3.1.1, regular Go app
I get varied results using the hack, seems like I always end up back on Auto. I have been switching so many things as far as amps go I haven't spent any time testing that out.
In a noisy area I bet it would be of value.

Turbo

Last edited:
Reactions: cstout
The problem I have is not knowing what I am turning up. I don't even know if the pot turns CW or CCW to increase power. I also just got these amps so they are the only thing I own with N connectors at the moment.
I wouldn't touch em for now, Monitor your channel's in DJI Go, They will show a ton of Red if that amp is working.
@ 10 Db RX the channels start showing a bit of Red, at 15 Db a lot of Red, 20Db RX will light up the Channels.

Reactions: JohnnyB
One thing to remember is the channel monitor is where you are now, with your remote. Your AC may fly into an area that is saturated on channel 11, 5, etc. That is why I like to go with channel 20 or higher if I chose one.

Reactions: cstout and IBV
I don't think they have the 32 channel working with 4 yet. I dislike 4, my K1 dislikes 4, Go 4 sucks. LOL. Just my opinion :) I use 3.1.1, regular Go app
I get varied results using the hack, seems like I always end up back on Auto. I have been switching so many things as far as amps go I haven't spent any time testing that out.
In a noisy area I bet it would be of value.
I never even considered using v3...I completely forgot it was compatible with the P4. Great idea. I'll give that a go and see how it compares in my WiFi-saturated area! Thanks!

One thing to remember is the channel monitor is where you are now, with your remote. Your AC may fly into an area that is saturated on channel 11, 5, etc. That is why I like to go with channel 20 or higher if I chose one.
This is true but in this case we are not using the Channel monitor to look at how noisy the home point is. We are looking for a change from no amp to amped to verify if the amp is working.
I was addressing the question about not knowing if your turning it up or down. Without a meter, channel monitor will show.

Turbo

Reactions: JohnnyB
Hmmm, I didn't think of that aspect. The amp should help you step on other interferrence on the same channels I guess.

Hmmm, I didn't think of that aspect. The amp should help you step on other interferrence on the same channels I guess.
Actually the RX amp is like a hearing aid, it is just listening harder for that Video signal.
See what I mean? you can step on other signals with more TX gain ( Signal out )
The RX side doesn't work that way.

Turbo

Reactions: IBV
That's true.

JohnnyB was interested when I stated I was going to open up my TP-Link panels for a rewire of the connectors. Well ,It's done and it does appear it will improve the performance. I removed 4 ft thin shielded coax and soldered N connector almost directly to panel innerds (4 inch coax jumper). I was going to mount each one on individual tripods, but after thinking, decided to install (Quick disconnect mount) them on one tripod due to their highly directional nature.
20170118_020015.jpg 20170117_235649.jpg 20170117_205238.jpg 20170117_205415.jpg 20170117_205331.jpg 20170117_205247.jpg 20170117_204543(1).jpg 20170117_204633.jpg 20170117_204543.jpg

That is interesting. Removing one adapter connector is always a f=good thing but to actually be able to see the performance difference is a nice gain!

Speaking of modifications, I am thinking of swapping the connectors on my RF LINX amps to RP SMA since that is what all of my stuff runs on already. That would also allow me to use these with a bracket directly connected to my controller for my MAXXUAV panel, etc. I am not sure what I want to do yet though. I exchanged e-mails with a tech from RF LINX and he said changing the connectors won't cause any problems if it is done right. I guess I need to see more of what other results are before making a decision. I am starting to think that if I am going to have amps that are N connector and dedicated to a long range base station maybe they should be more than 1 watt. The tech said the 2400 SAXU are custom builds and are tunable from .5 to 1 watt with "a compression point close to 2 watts, P1dbm+32.5dBm". I really don't get what the quoted text means exactly. Tech school was a long time ago for me.

That is interesting. Removing one adapter connector is always a f=good thing but to actually be able to see the performance difference is a nice gain!

Speaking of modifications, I am thinking of swapping the connectors on my RF LINX amps to RP SMA since that is what all of my stuff runs on already. That would also allow me to use these with a bracket directly connected to my controller for my MAXXUAV panel, etc. I am not sure what I want to do yet though. I exchanged e-mails with a tech from RF LINX and he said changing the connectors won't cause any problems if it is done right. I guess I need to see more of what other results are before making a decision. I am starting to think that if I am going to have amps that are N connector and dedicated to a long range base station maybe they should be more than 1 watt. The tech said the 2400 SAXU are custom builds and are tunable from .5 to 1 watt with "a compression point close to 2 watts, P1dbm+32.5dBm". I really don't get what the quoted text means exactly. Tech school was a long time ago for me.
The feedback I got (from RF Linx tech) regarding the 2400SAXU was no different, with some caveats:

"...... I would not recommend trying to increase the output power too much. It's a fine balance of setting the average TX power, since WLAN waveforms are OFDM they require a large amount an amplifier head room (Avg power to Peak power) to pass an OFDM waveform. Setting the average power too high will increase the TX power however it will not pass WLAN traffic and OFDM waveforms."

I have decided to use them as-is, swapping with other amps p as necessary.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I am going to use mine as is too. I need to make some changes to be able to try them out. All my stuff is currently RP-SMA now. I think I will change them over to RP- SMA too.

I am on the VERGE of testing my SAXU's. Had them for 6 weeks, first ice storm then snow storm, had to wait for N cables/adapters. then it was too cold, or I was too burnt out tired. As far as adjusting them. What ever the customer used them for and had them set at may not be optimal. What if they wanted low RX gain for a noisy environment? Or low TX for a short distance? Once I run outta excuses and actually fly with the dang things I'll see how they perform against my other amps.

Saterday I was ready to go out to fly. Applied power to the amps to make sure they even worked. One LED light lit up, the other did not. Angry, I punched the buy key on Ebay for another SAXU. ( My "Buy" finger is real muscular lately). Calmed down and opened it up and discovered the ground terminal I had installed wasn't mating with the amp chassis. Anodized aluminum will NOT pass current. So I sandpapered its contact point down to bare Aluminum and walla! LED lit up like Santa Clause was coming! So now I have a extra SAXU.... just in case.

I am on the VERGE of testing my SAXU's. Had them for 6 weeks, first ice storm then snow storm, had to wait for N cables/adapters. then it was too cold, or I was too burnt out tired. As far as adjusting them. What ever the customer used them for and had them set at may not be optimal. What if they wanted low RX gain for a noisy environment? Or low TX for a short distance? Once I run outta excuses and actually fly with the dang things I'll see how they perform against my other amps.

I was wondering the same thing. What if they set them all at minimal power and the plan was to have one in every room or something for a hospital or hotel environment. Truth is even if they are set low I don't know of an easy way to adjust them. You would probably need an injector then access them via USB. I say F that! If they seem weak I will find a use for them or sell them back off to fund more powerful ones. I think they will probably be good though. I am thinking of just soldering SMA connectors on mine. Any application where I use N connector will be heavy duty and cumbersome. That application will be with high powered amps.

Trying to learn of AGC. :
(post from ham operator somewhat explaining AGC: SdrDx Documentation -- Adjusting AGC (page 13)
Tuning these pots R18 and R33 may not be as easy as putting a jewelers screwdriver on a pot and turning it.
SAXU pots.png

I agree it is not as easy as turning a pot blindly but that page was talking about tuning AGC to reach an optimum sound quality. The auto gain control is functionally the same but our gain is not something that we can even listen to. The tech from the RF LINX company said the pots are factory set at the right parameters but the power adjustment is something done by software. So I am not going to mess with the pots at all. I just don't think that we can alter these without using a POE adapter and then using that for a data connection through the USB jack on the POE box and the RF LINX software.

Hi there.. After some time a minor update..
I placed the magnet holders with the antennas on the car roof. To fix the new cable box is next step. This is my most simple all weather car setup. Antennas directly screwed amps in sealed box. Inside the van I got the "command station" :)
WP_20170306_15_45_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20170306_15_46_55_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170306_15_46_20_Pro (3).jpg
    WP_20170306_15_46_20_Pro (3).jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 551
  • WP_20170306_15_45_50_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20170306_15_45_50_Pro (2).jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 380
Hi there.. After some time a minor update..
I placed the magnet holders with the antennas on the car roof. To fix the new cable box is next step. This is my most simple all weather car setup. Antennas directly screwed amps in sealed box. Inside the van I got the "command station" :)View attachment 77802 View attachment 77804
Is there a "Batman" cape inside the van?

Hi there!
while changing the RC battery I thought to make some optimization of the RC connectors. I took stronger cables and placed the connectors for the antennas downwards. This gives me a lot better balancing when using In the van, home or with tripod. Here some picts..
WP_20170324_19_34_30_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170324_19_34_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170324_19_34_45_Pro.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 353
  • WP_20170324_19_36_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170324_19_36_04_Pro.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 449

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads