Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Maybe I should add that I rebuild my second RC currently and mount N-male pigtais directly to the mainboard of the RC. Via this I solved the irksome Rp_sma story and screw these N-male plugs directly onto the amplifier (or DC injector). As cable I use High-level 7 or Ecoflex 10.
I try to simplify the setup and use strong components. Getting all from house to the van and vice versa shouldn't take more than 10 minutes including extending the mast and calibrating the pan/tilt unit.. Photos will come..

Hi there!
while changing the RC battery I thought to make some optimization of the RC connectors. I took stronger cables and placed the connectors for the antennas downwards. This gives me a lot better balancing when using In the van, home or with tripod. Here some picts..View attachment 79093
Brilliant!

Reactions: Turbomania
Maybe I should add that I rebuild my second RC currently and mount N-male pigtais directly to the mainboard of the RC. Via this I solved the irksome Rp_sma story and screw these N-male plugs directly onto the amplifier (or DC injector). As cable I use High-level 7 or Ecoflex 10.
I try to simplify the setup and use strong components. Getting all from house to the van and vice versa shouldn't take more than 10 minutes including extending the mast and calibrating the pan/tilt unit.. Photos will come..
Great stuff IBV!

With my mobile set up (complicated), It usually takes me 10 mins. from taking the tripods out to cable connecting, to powering up and finalizing for flight. It's quite the sight, cables wrapping around my feet, tripods standing there like military radar installations and me walking to and fro talking to myself about how crazy it all looks. People gather around further making it more complicated as I have to explain that it's not a doomsday machine and they are safe.

With my mobile set up (not so complicated) I throw the magnet base L-coms on the roof and screw into amps...... Then take a nap while I wait on Gram to untangle himself.. (sorry, lol All I got)

Great idea IBV ! I always wondered about the integrity of those RP-SMA harnesses we use. Would love to see a picture if you take any.
Thanks...

Turbo

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
With my mobile set up (complicated), It usually takes me 10 mins. from taking the tripods out to cable connecting, to powering up and finalizing for flight. It's quite the sight, cables wrapping around my feet, tripods standing there like military radar installations and me walking to and fro talking to myself about how crazy it all looks. People gather around further making it more complicated as I have to explain that it's not a doomsday machine and they are safe.
With my mobile set up (not so complicated) I throw the magnet base L-coms on the roof and screw into amps...... Then take a nap while I wait on Gram to untangle himself.. (sorry, lol All I got)

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
Ready to raise up. Already tried on top of 15ft mast, but very hard to steady. I'll try the 10 ft. mast first to see how it works.

Attachments

• 20170326_020213.jpg
    20170326_020213.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 437
1 1/2 pvc pipe. Starts to wobble at 15ft. These antennas are quite heavy.

ok.understand. There are quite cheap carbon fibre extendable masts available. This would solve your problem..:)
Yes, I am eyeing those. But my home situation has problems : Neighbors/condo owners association. I'm not allowed to put up antennas. These are temp. masts I can take down quickly.

Yes, I am eyeing those. But my home situation has problems : Neighbors/condo owners association. I'm not allowed to put up antennas. These are temp. masts I can take down quickly.

Temporary installations are usually no "rule breakers" .. Good luck!

"Short" update on the earlier mentioned N-connector pigtail directly connected to the RC's main-board. I ordered a 1m long MMCX to N-male cable. I will lead the cables through the bottom of the RC similar to where I placed my RP-SMA (see pictures in an earlier post here). 1m is ok for me because I almost always use RF-linx amps with N-female connector. "In emergancy" I could use my other RC or an adapter. I made some movement test with the cable and RC and it works as expected.I finally can sit relaxed with the RC and can concentrate on the 75" screen or headplay display without worrying to break the RC or getting pain in the wrists.Also this irksome screwing on the RP-SMA connectors on the RC is gone. I love N-plugs! :)
1m would be also enough to step out the car and look for the bird myself or turn around, change position,etc.. The cable will be a highflex 7 which is low loss and still felxible enough. Here the link to the cable company: Cable Configurator | Wifi UMTS/3G GSM Antennas, Radio Amateur Antenna, coaxial cables assemblies, radio accessories
Will be interesting to measure how much RX signal is arriving at the RC's main-board incompare to RP-SMA solution.

Maybe I should integrate some of my RF-linx amps on Tx (and maybe Rx) side directly into (or rather half into..spacewise) the RC. With the adjustable gain control it would then act as a superstrong RC. Not really CE conform :rolleyes:... but efficient for the vast forest areas around. ;) The golden Sunhans would maybe fit inside somehow but they got too high tresholds, low Rx gain and a little noisy..

quick question ... I'm going to finally do the mod to my controller. Are there antennas that gives close to the results as the stock ones? In researching, the paddles they sell at Maxx are not as good. thx

quick question ... I'm going to finally do the mod to my controller. Are there antennas that gives close to the results as the stock ones? In researching, the paddles they sell at Maxx are not as good. thx

Hi there, I don't understand the question.. pls rephrase..

@rhoffart

I went back in some of your post and assume that you have a P4. I hope the assumption is correct. Stock antennas are 5dB I believe , so anything going up in dB will give you better than stock performance. Do an Amazon search such as "2.4ghz RP-SMA antenna". You will see that there are lots of choices that are better than stock. Here's an example of a cheap solution to hold you over while you build other mods, that would surprise you in performance.
Edited to 2.4gHz only...
Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi RP-SMA Panel Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, AWUS036EAC, WUS036NH, WUS036NEH, WUS048NH, AWUS036AC, WUS051NH Amazon.com: Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi RP-SMA Panel Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, AWUS036EAC, WUS036NH, WUS036NEH, WUS048NH, AWUS036AC, WUS051NH: Computers & Accessories
Like I said, just an example. There are many choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
That would work. The more directional the more dbi. However, you need to follow the bird with your antennas more accuratley. The link you sent are dual band atennas. The P4 only uses 2,4Ghz so it's the wrong antenna. You need a 2,4Ghz only.

That would work. The more directional the more dbi. However, you need to follow the bird with your antennas more accuratley. The link you sent are dual band atennas. The P4 only uses 2,4Ghz so it's the wrong antenna. You need a 2,4Ghz only.
Correct. Multi tasking.. thanks. I did mean 2.4 GHz only.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga