Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

robby666111 said:
Can you post their reply here? I can't see any replies to posts about this issue there. Have they given a date?
Facebook kind of buries replies on busy pages like that to make room for other stuff, but it is still there. If one posts in reply to their posts it is more visible to the browsing public. If you know what I mean. Reply to DJIs posting on the page. But everything helps.. even "likes" i'm sure they notice and if they don't other people going to the page will, like Sylverster Stalone and Nick Nolte, hell even the Dali Lama

Attachments

• dji post.JPG
    dji post.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 500
The drunken sparrow post there is classic. I definitely gave it a "like". I found myself doing the only thing possible to relieve the 3.05 release anxiety. Blow through 3 batteries in ATTI mode in wide open space. Flying straight and sliding around like a kid "drifting" his car in a parking lot.

I sold my new Phantom yesterday. I can't believe DJI sells a product that has incorrect or even dangerous flight characteristics depending upon where one lives or uses it. If it takes them this long to resolve a problem such as this I can't imagine what it will take for them to address the other known issues.

Hi guys,

As an update, I just came back from Quebec City where the TBE was a massive issue (my Phantom crashed in the water and is lost). I bought a new Phantom Vision+ in Canada and it had the exact same TBE issue right out of the box. Tried all sorts of calibration methods and TBE was there regardless. Very frustrating.

I am now back in Hong Kong (where I live) and tested the phantom I purchased in Canada. Guess what, it is straight as an arrow and no TBE. It is therefore clear that magnetic declination is the root cause of the issue.

I had a lot of issues flying this thing in Quebec City but was at least able to get some pretty nice footage of this very romantic destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcuGoQjemQ

Cheers

pgaucher said:
Hi guys,

As an update, I just came back from Quebec City where the TBE was a massive issue (my Phantom crashed in the water and is lost). I bought a new Phantom Vision+ in Canada and it had the exact same TBE issue right out of the box. Tried all sorts of calibration methods and TBE was there regardless. Very frustrating.

I am now back in Hong Kong (where I live) and tested the phantom I purchased in Canada. Guess what, it is straight as an arrow and no TBE. It is therefore clear that magnetic declination is the root cause of the issue.

I had a lot of issues flying this thing in Quebec City but was at least able to get some pretty nice footage of this very romantic destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcuGoQjemQ

Cheers

nice job. how did you get the tilt shift?

I'm using FCPX and have an add-on called mLooks3 by MotionVFX.com

The specific add-on is called Echo Blue.

I had to add a few effects in order to compensate for the rather shitty resolution of the Vision+ camera. Is it too much? I'm rather new at this.

To stay on topic for this thread, I'm now caught in a loop with DJI customer service regarding the first Vision+ that crashed in the water due to a massive TBE. I need to fill out a bunch of forms that are not leading anywhere. The Hong Kong guys are saying one thing and the US guys are sending me other forms to complete. Something tells me all i'm going to get it a rebate towards a future purchase ;-)

SteveP said:
I sold my new Phantom yesterday. I can't believe DJI sells a product that has incorrect or even dangerous flight characteristics depending upon where one lives or uses it. If it takes them this long to resolve a problem such as this I can't imagine what it will take for them to address the other known issues.
I did the same this past weekend , sold all my stuff and the crappy unsafe phantom 2 . 4 months plus and no fix. Beta testers don't care they got the 3.05 fix so they aren't pushing for a public release.
Anyway the FAA is going to ban the phantoms so better sell them now .

Lenny7118 said:
SteveP said:
I did the same this past weekend , sold all my stuff and the crappy unsafe phantom 2 . 4 months plus and no fix. Beta testers don't care they got the 3.05 fix so they aren't pushing for a public release.

Lenny, we are feeling your frustration global wide, the DJI Phantom has issues, major issues!

Let's not throw the Beta testers under the bus, they are all saying realease the freakin' 3:05!!!!

DJI has the ball, how they respond will be a test as to their intregity as so many that have invested in their product.

Lenny7118 said:

America, Cradle of Liberty? Why are preparing to ban adult toys? Or ... perhaps adults are not allowed to play in the USA? I do not understand. I understand when the authorities will order the rules for professional copter when a permit will be required for professional use and the like, but in the hobby? It is a bit of an exaggeration ...

Petr_K said:
Lenny7118 said:

America, Cradle of Liberty? Why are preparing to ban adult toys? Or ... perhaps adults are not allowed to play in the USA? I do not understand. I understand when the authorities will order the rules for professional copter when a permit will be required for professional use and the like, but in the hobby? It is a bit of an exaggeration ...

Sorry mate, only because the so called Adults do stupid S--t with their toys. if that happens is because you brought it on yourselves. Just because it's a hobby does not mean you don't need to be responsible to the rest of the community!!!!!

Lenny7118 said:

Do you have any actual factual basis for this statement or is just your speculation? Even though I really, really want what the P2V+ is advertised to be, I certainly wouldn't buy one right now because of the flyaways (maybe that's a consumer use issue and maybe it isn't), and magnetic declination issues (I'm in a +9 area), plus the constant drumbeat of posts in every available forum about DJI's lack of customer support. If you can point to something that specifically says the FAA is going to ban them then obviously it isn't going to matter whether they solve the other problems or not.

Pazz said:
Sorry mate, only because the so called Adults do stupid S--t with their toys. if that happens is because you brought it on yourselves. Just because it's a hobby does not mean you don't need to be responsible to the rest of the community!!!!!

Just do not understand ... how much daily traffic accidents as the number of deaths on the roads, so we ban cars? How many people a day have an accident at work, sometimes even fatal accident ... ban work?
How many people drown every day in the water in their free time ... ban swimming - swimming? How many people are injured during sports day, how many people die right on the sports court ... ban sport?
It does not sound all so paradoxical? This way is not the way. I understand that there are individuals who do not follow the general rule, but it does not mean that it prohibits. This is the only way to do that soon will prohibit everything, even kitchen knives, because knives can commit murder ;)

This argument is irrelevant to the topic at hand. The FAA is not banning anything nor do they have the authority to do so. Reference the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama if you have any doubts.

If you've sold your P2, sorry to see you go but go you should. This forum is for people who own or intend to own a Phantom. If you're betting on another horse, that's fine but you don't need to rub it in for the rest of us who are sticking with it. Lenny7118, I have no regrets seeing you go. You've done nothing but complain. I hope you find something that fits your needs elsewhere. Good riddance.

DJI has fixed the problem and the release firmware will be out soon. I have no idea why it's taking so long but we're close to the end. It would seem foolish, having waited all this time, to give up when the new firmware is about to be released.

Thanks Ianwood for the fresh info keep waiting i invest too much to sold out all my P2 gimbal 3D and FPV hope it will be finaly out soon !!! been a while and parience should pay now.

Lenny7118 said:
SteveP said:
I sold my new Phantom yesterday. I can't believe DJI sells a product that has incorrect or even dangerous flight characteristics.....
I did the same this past weekend , sold all my stuff and the crappy unsafe phantom 2 . 4 months plus and no fix.
So...you guys are selling dangerous, unsafe equipment?
Pot, meet kettle

ianwood, thanks for posting the reply and for your efforts to identify and fix problems. I'm still in the camp of those who intend to buy but as a newbie to the field, now doesn't seem like the time to buy such an expensive product with known handling problems from a company that takes months to address, much less attempt to fix and roll out to customers, fixes. I know a lot of you guys have been doing this stuff for years, building your own crafts, adding components from whoever made the best part for the money to create fully functional systems, and that's great. But I think I'm in new group of consumers DJI is trying to reach with their slick, integrated, out of the box RTF machines. We can make their market explode in size but we will be merciless in our reviews and consumer complaints if these things have known, but not disclosed in marketing, erratic behaviors which are not really understood or correctible by us and cause the product to not behave in the way DJI advertises it will. I'm reading everything DJI puts out on the P2V+, reading all the technical posts in multiple forums, watching YouTube videos explaining problems and possible solutions, trying hard not to be that new owner helplessly watching his $1300 purchase sail off into the sunset/woods because I just assumed that following the manufacurer's instructions from the box would give me the working product they advertise. These new consumers that will either be able to make DJI's future stock offering soar or crash know that they can get the better/best results from their new tech toys by RTFM and seeking out forums such as this but they/we expect to be able to use the basic functions of those toys - making calls and sending texts from a phone, finding our way with a GPS, taking photos/videos with a camera, playing a game on an Xbox, making the P2V+ take off and fly and take video/photos and land - without weird unexpected behaviors that can destroy or lose the product or make it impossible to fly in a straight line out of the box depending on where you live. Until DJI realizes their potential mass market wants to USE the toy and not TINKER with it, and starts acting accordingly, then they are headed towards the unenviable position of having created the buzz, excitement, and market awareness of this type of product only to watch what should be their success go to another company that understands the needs of the mass market better. As I said at first, I still intend and hope to buy and fly the P2V+ when they get the basic problems of flyaways, magnetic declination, and customer service figured out, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig for some company that doesn't care if the pig is screaming after they have its money. Will be eagerly watching for the compass fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing