Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Andy T said:
ToddSmi said:
Edit: For what it's worth, I'm a regular in the V+ and P2 threads on RC groups and I can tell you that there are many experienced pilots in high MD areas that claim their particular model is not affected even when being presented with a video and description of the whole MD j-hook and tbe related effects. This doesn't take away from the great work you have done in bringing a fix to the many folks whom are affected! Major Kudos! I have an enquiring mind, so I can't help but wonder why not all units are affected alike, but out of respect for differences of opinion, I will refrain from additional comments on this topic in this thread going forward.
Well at the 10 minute mark of the video below you can see a prominent DJI employee flying a vision + and experiencing the toilet bowl effect. You would think that he would pick an unaffected model when demonstrating their equipment for Adobe representatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZFnlgCV0I

For what it"s worth in terms of accuracy, just prior to take off for that sequence, the pilot said he was flying in manual mode, so what we are seeing is pilot input to maintain position, not TBE

Pazz said:
Andy T said:
ToddSmi said:
Edit: For what it's worth, I'm a regular in the V+ and P2 threads on RC groups and I can tell you that there are many experienced pilots in high MD areas that claim their particular model is not affected even when being presented with a video and description of the whole MD j-hook and tbe related effects. This doesn't take away from the great work you have done in bringing a fix to the many folks whom are affected! Major Kudos! I have an enquiring mind, so I can't help but wonder why not all units are affected alike, but out of respect for differences of opinion, I will refrain from additional comments on this topic in this thread going forward.
Well at the 10 minute mark of the video below you can see a prominent DJI employee flying a vision + and experiencing the toilet bowl effect. You would think that he would pick an unaffected model when demonstrating their equipment for Adobe representatives

For what it"s worth in terms of accuracy, just prior to take off for that sequence, the pilot said he was flying in manual mode, so what we are seeing is pilot input to maintain position, not TBE
That was for his audiences benefit. Manual as opposed to GS mode. Stop it now pazz. Anyone who knows anything about this can see it is drifting to the left which he corrected and then the TBEing. Therefore you don't know anything. go away Troll

Andy T said:
gr8pics said:
And how is 2 degr 28 east translated into the scale of +/-8 or higher?
Sounds like you are at 2 degrees 26 minutes east, so you are not in an area if high magnetic declination

No, he is at a location where the declination is 2 degrees, 28 minutes East (+ve).

sar104 said:
Andy T said:
gr8pics said:
And how is 2 degr 28 east translated into the scale of +/-8 or higher?
Sounds like you are at 2 degrees 26 minutes east, so you are not in an area if high magnetic declination

No, he is at a location where the declination is 2 degrees, 28 minutes East (+ve).
No, it translates to be without the range of +/- 8 or higher

Andy T said:
sar104 said:
Andy T said:

No, it translates to be without the range of +/- 8 or higher

Sorry - I don't understand your comment. Per the earlier discussion, he was reading the declination from the website. Then, for no reason I can discern, asking how that compared with the +/- 8 degree threshold that has been suggested to represent the declination at which this problem becomes noticeable (less, obviously). At least that was my interpretation of the conversation - did you read it differently?

sar104 said:
Sorry - I don't understand your comment. Per the earlier discussion, he was reading the declination from the website. Then, for no reason I can discern, asking how that compared with the +/- 8 degree threshold that has been suggested to represent the declination at which this problem becomes noticeable (less, obviously). At least that was my interpretation of the conversation - did you read it differently?
He didn't want to Google "magnetic declination" so all he needed to know was if he was in a problem area. My grammar may not have been perfect but he got it

Andy T said:
ToddSmi said:
Have another look Andy T

Pazz, what is your point? You've been going on about this for a long time now. You're trying to resolve something that is already diagnosed and resolved. And everything you've posted that I've read so far either contradicts the conclusions and/or misses critical aspects of the issue. Give me one concise theory. I will review it. I will tell you if it fits or not. Others can weigh in too.

At that point, you will need to trust the conclusion for good or for bad and leave it at that.

ianwood said:
Pazz, what is your point? You've been going on about this for a long time now. You're trying to resolve something that is already diagnosed and resolved. And everything you've posted that I've read so far either contradicts the conclusions and/or misses critical aspects of the issue. Give me one concise theory. I will review it. I will tell you if it fits or not. Others can weigh in too.

At that point, you will need to trust the conclusion for good or for bad and leave it at that.

Thanks for the offer, will take it up later after the second beta testers have had a go. As noted by some testers, the results seems mixed & inconsistent. So I'll just wait & see.

robby666111 said:
Pazz said:
As noted by some testers, the results seems mixed & inconsistent. So I'll just wait & see.
Which testers are you referring to here Pazz. Results posted thus far seem very consistent.
Over on the beta tester wanted thread. sar104,xrover, bigbadfun. Also john shaw's videos. Sometimes really good & other times not so good. Just little things that they & I are noticing

I'd say the results there wrt the magnetic declination being much improved is very consistent. There is some debate about whether any learned correction is held across power cycles, but that is a very minor point. I'd call what I've seen very consistent.

Beyond this post, I really need to follow my own advise and ignore your irrelevant ramblings. I just hope others on this forum do so as well.

Cheers,
Rob

Pazz, you must be reading a different forum. Results are pretty darn consistent. Only variables are going to be different gains.

Wow, I am impressed how consistent the results are! Let's get this release out there this week!

Andy T said:
Wow, I am impressed how consistent the results are! Let's get this release out there this week!
+1

Pazz said:
robby666111 said:
Pazz said:
As noted by some testers, the results seems mixed & inconsistent. So I'll just wait & see.
Which testers are you referring to here Pazz. Results posted thus far seem very consistent.
Over on the beta tester wanted thread. sar104,xrover, bigbadfun. Also john shaw's videos. Sometimes really good & other times not so good. Just little things that they & I are noticing

Had another good look at John Shaws videos on the beta testers thread, Sorry but I'm not seeing any improvement, mine flies exactly the same on 1.08 firmware. Go figure.

Andy T said:

+ 1,000

At + 16 I have to run the battery down to 60% before it settles down

That gives me 30% of usable battery for precision flying, Really DJI After promoting 25 mintes flight times that we all bought into??

Does DJI even read months of bad press on multiple forums including their own facebook page?

And if/when 3:05 is released we'll have no clue as to what other restrictions are in it as they refuse to communicate with us, their customer base.

Too big to fail? Not in our home, looking at other platforms that provide customer support after the sale so I can dump the P2.

Another disgusted so to be former DJI customer.

Pazz said:
Pazz said:
robby666111 said:
Pazz said:

Had another good look at John Shaws videos on the beta testers thread, Sorry but I'm not seeing any improvement, mine flies exactly the same on 1.08 firmware. Go figure.

What is your magnetic declination? You wouldn't notice an appreciable improvement in straight line flying if you were in a near-zero MD area.

Navman said:
Andy T said:

+ 1,000

At + 16 I have to run the battery down to 60% before it settles down

That gives me 30% of usable battery for precision flying, Really DJI After promoting 25 mintes flight times that we all bought into??

Does DJI even read months of bad press on multiple forums including their own facebook page?

And if/when 3:05 is released we'll have no clue as to what other restrictions are in it as they refuse to communicate with us, their customer base.

Too big to fail? Not in our home, looking at other platforms that provide customer support after the sale so I can dump the P2.

Another disgusted so to be former DJI customer.

For those with one foot genuinely out the door, suggest you check out Eagle Tree Vector, and follow the RC Groups thread on that product. Some growing pains in calibrating gains for hover, but a lot of quad pilots doing detailed comparisons to Naza and other FC's, most of them impressed and pleased. World of difference between DJI and Eagle Tree Systems in all the ways that matter for imperfect leading-edge technology. Sorry to go OT, but I am also amazed at DJI's arrogance/incompetence in customer support/communication/recruitment.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119