Motor Fire on my P3P, help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. That's a good point. I agree, prop guards would have likely saved him.

I think prop guards are probably a good idea for most new pilots, but most experienced pilots eventually take them off for quite a few good reasons.

Some REAL examples would be great!

I will request on behalf of sensible pilots that you stop commenting on something you have no experience of.............

Alright well I was done, since this thread is about someone else's repair issues, but since you've asked/challenged... here are the problems I see with your logic.

1. Nothing bad has happened ≠ nothing bad will happen

Such a claim doesn't make any more sense here than it would elswhere:

"I've been driving a car for 15 years now and nothing has happened to me. Therefore driving cars is completely safe"

Seen an accident ever?

"I've been playing russian roulette for 5 rounds now and I'm fine so far, therefore it's totally safe!"

Cmon...double or nothing.

Since your anecdotal (and fortunate) lack of incidents seems to have you believing the first of those statements equals the second, let me show you (with apologies to the squeemish) why even that much doesn't stand up;

mqdefault.jpg

JhOYeNU.jpg

27C275C9-298F-4BC1-A212-AA1EAEA9DE61_zpssohybfic.jpg

0984A0D8-14CD-4ECE-B0B0-30268486A746_zpsqkbkbscc.jpg

And that's just the DJI stuff...plenty more, and I didn't even look very hard;

AGmQ7.jpg

2. It's not "if," but "when," and "how bad." Problems happen. I have to assume anyone saying otherwise hasn't flown RC very long because that was the first thing I was taught. The "when" is fundamentally hard to control, but "how bad" can be largely a function of the exposure you as a pilot have allowed. You figure out what you're willing to sacrifice and meticulously ensure damage is limited to that when something goes sour. Ignoring, for the moment, that you guys bewilderingly seem to value your chinese mass-produced toys more than you do your own extremities...let's look at it on a purely financial basis:

How many stitches you think it takes to exceed the price of your entire phantom? Hint: as of a 2013 report, the average emergency room stitch was around $500 (I know you wont' take my word for it so NY Times) Foot the bill for even a minor brush with the ER and I suspect that phantom is gonna look a lot more expendable to you.

Or maybe it's time you value... "Hands are self repairing. Motors are not." Arguably true depending on your tolerance for scars but how long is it gonna take you to swap that motor out? 2 hours? Can you heal that fast?

Is it really so hard to believe that a gust of wind, minor correction, FC glitch, structural failure, or whatever else could divert that drone you were trying to catch into your arm? Or Face?? And when that happens, what do you stand to lose?

3. There is a difference between practice and recommendation. You guys seem to forget that in an open forum like this, you're speaking not just to me, but to everyone...at all ages, with seconds to decades of experience, and everywhere in between. So let me reiterate again, because I think this point is being missed or ignored:

It's not your own practice that I'm drawing issue with. Insofar as you're putting no one else in harm's way you can do whatever you want, I'll be right there defending your right to do so.

It's the public advocation of the risky practice that I see as irresponsible, and it genuinely surprises me to be in an apparent minority here. You guys have kids? Want them catching one of these things? Try to keep that in mind on the forums here. That's all I ask

And if somehow all of the above is falling on deaf ears than I'll appeal to your pride as pilots with this; if you can't land that thing on the ground in one piece, should you be flying it in the first place?

(EDIT: I had misquoted MarkEt..sorry)

Last edited:
Jesus! Thats a blood bath! Carbon fiber props with no prop guards is an entirely different thing at those high RPM's.

I run the standard props presently and use prop guards. If I see the drone wavering even a little at 7 feet when I bring it in I duck and dash very quickly. If it plummets from 7 feet I will probably laugh.

To each their own for sure.

Reactions: pomonabill220
To each his own
So what you are doing is at the most critical and dangerous point of a flight, while you still control the throttle, but you have no directional control anymore and basically doing a "Carrie Underwood!l?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I dont know about the Carrie Underwood reference , but what I did was using a DeWalt hand held small radial saw cut my pinky and ring finger when cutting a board at a 45 Degree angle. It cut almost to the bone . Very close. I thought I lopped them off. Nope ! Got really lucky.

Totally my fault as I was rushing the cut as I was under a time crunch and had to get out of town. Did not hold the board securely and it shifted right into my grip. That was a BAAAAADDDDD Day.

Fingers still attached and fully functional so I consider myself super lucky. Bank book took a big hit. :)

Reactions: pomonabill220
I dont know about the Carrie Underwood reference

Oh! cmon my friend, one of my fav Underwood song goes something like "Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go" :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always land unless it's really windy and I don't think I can land it without bumping it. I had an experience where I got cut up pretty badly. I had my P3 on its hard case ready to take off. It was pretty windy. I had no sense to be flying in such conditions, but that's beside the point. I armed the motors. While it was doing its double rev up before taking off, the wind was strong enough to make it start tipping over. I went in and grabbed it to stop it from falling in the gravel and cut the ends of my fingers pretty bad. Still have scars. But hey, if you feel better grabbing it, then give 'er

Alright well I was done, since this thread is about someone else's repair issues, but since you've asked/challenged...

So you are saying that those pictures you posted are all related to hard catch gone wrong? Or maybe some? Or none?

Reactions: Wibble
I fly often without the SD card, just for a cruise. I always get a warning telling me it's not there but no problem flying

Thanks. I didn't push it. I usually take the advise warning tips give.

So you are saying that those pictures you posted are all related to hard catch gone wrong? Or maybe some? Or none?

...points for persistence.

I didn't say that, actually, because I honestly don't see how it matters beyond the proximity of spinning props to body parts. Nonetheless, the first 2 are catches (one with video), next couple a take-off problem as reported here on this forum, and the last were conveniently compiled already from an RC groups thread about quads that you can go sift through if you want. As mentioned, not much time spent/needed

When I want to stop the engines quickly I pull down the left stick (not up as you are suggesting) going up with the left stick increases throttle...

I retarded the throttle, ie pulling it back exactly how you are supposed to shut down the rotors. Problem was it didn't shut down one motor which thus overheated!

I m not sure if ESC is ok. Motor got burned due to high currents with no cooling when rotor got blocked from rotation. Normally ESCs limit the current but if the CSC is not done quickly, motor gets over heated.

Get an estimate from DJI service. That will help you decide if you should by motor and shell.
I had a similar thing happen with my first Vision 2+, it took some time on the phone and shipping at my own expense back to DJI. They did eventually fix it, and it was the motor, which was caused by a bad ESC....

Reactions: Rich M-S
I had a similar thing happen with my first Vision 2+, it took some time on the phone and shipping at my own expense back to DJI. They did eventually fix it, and it was the motor, which was caused by a bad ESC....
I have a long experience designing motors, ESCs, drives, power supplies and that makes easy for me to visualize failures.

Alright well I was done, since this thread is about someone else's repair issues, but since you've asked/challenged... here are the problems I see with your logic.

1. Nothing bad has happened ≠ nothing bad will happen

Such a claim doesn't make any more sense here than it would elswhere:

"I've been driving a car for 15 years now and nothing has happened to me. Therefore driving cars is completely safe"

Seen an accident ever?

"I've been playing russian roulette for 5 rounds now and I'm fine so far, therefore it's totally safe!"

Cmon...double or nothing.

Since your anecdotal (and fortunate) lack of incidents seems to have you believing the first of those statements equals the second, let me show you (with apologies to the squeemish) why even that much doesn't stand up;

mqdefault.jpg

JhOYeNU.jpg

27C275C9-298F-4BC1-A212-AA1EAEA9DE61_zpssohybfic.jpg

0984A0D8-14CD-4ECE-B0B0-30268486A746_zpsqkbkbscc.jpg

And that's just the DJI stuff...plenty more, and I didn't even look very hard;

AGmQ7.jpg

2. It's not "if," but "when," and "how bad." Problems happen. I have to assume anyone saying otherwise hasn't flown RC very long because that was the first thing I was taught. The "when" is fundamentally hard to control, but "how bad" can be largely a function of the exposure you as a pilot have allowed. You figure out what you're willing to sacrifice and meticulously ensure damage is limited to that when something goes sour. Ignoring, for the moment, that you guys bewilderingly seem to value your chinese mass-produced toys more than you do your own extremities...let's look at it on a purely financial basis:

How many stitches you think it takes to exceed the price of your entire phantom? Hint: as of a 2013 report, the average emergency room stitch was around $500 (I know you wont' take my word for it so NY Times) Foot the bill for even a minor brush with the ER and I suspect that phantom is gonna look a lot more expendable to you.

Or maybe it's time you value... "Hands are self repairing. Motors are not." Arguably true depending on your tolerance for scars but how long is it gonna take you to swap that motor out? 2 hours? Can you heal that fast?

Is it really so hard to believe that a gust of wind, minor correction, FC glitch, structural failure, or whatever else could divert that drone you were trying to catch into your arm? Or Face?? And when that happens, what do you stand to lose?

3. There is a difference between practice and recommendation. You guys seem to forget that in an open forum like this, you're speaking not just to me, but to everyone...at all ages, with seconds to decades of experience, and everywhere in between. So let me reiterate again, because I think this point is being missed or ignored:

It's not your own practice that I'm drawing issue with. Insofar as you're putting no one else in harm's way you can do whatever you want, I'll be right there defending your right to do so.

It's the public advocation of the risky practice that I see as irresponsible, and it genuinely surprises me to be in an apparent minority here. You guys have kids? Want them catching one of these things? Try to keep that in mind on the forums here. That's all I ask

And if somehow all of the above is falling on deaf ears than I'll appeal to your pride as pilots with this; if you can't land that thing on the ground in one piece, should you be flying it in the first place?

(EDIT: I had misquoted MarkEt..sorry)

The 2nd picture of the cut face is often posted as a hand catch gone wrong. In fact the bloke was using the drone to take close up selfies!!!
It is scare tactics like this that ruin the hobby.

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
Also who actually executes the rth function and let's their phantom land by itself instead of flipping s1 to take back control before touchdown and land it their self.

Is it ?

I hand catch my phantom every time. I have yet to see a severed finger story. Cuts heal, worst case scenario.

Unless said cut is your eyeball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member