Motor Fire on my P3P, help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario. Blustery day like today. ...

If the conditions are such that you cannot guarantee safe flight AND landing, and you have chosen to fly anyway, the fault is yours as a pilot. It sucks, I've been there...but the painful lessons are the ones most effective at making you a better operator in the long run.

I recommend never to go full ******.

:)

3n3i6.gif

Reactions: TLeTourneau
If the conditions are such that you cannot guarantee safe flight AND landing, and you have chosen to fly anyway, the fault is yours as a pilot. It sucks, I've been there...but the painful lessons are the ones most effective at making you a better operator in the long run.

What do DJI consider safe flight conditions? I've read the manual and the wind speeds where inside the said limits for the machine!

When I fly my B747 and the crosswind is out of limits stated in the release to service I land somewhere else within limits. If I land the P3P within limits and it rolls onto it blades and then melts the quad is it my fault or the fault of the DJI test pilot?

I'm guessing I'll never win with them!!

Just bloody annoyed [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I recommend never to go full ******.

What do you mean by that? Was just trying to shut the aircraft down due to the horrendous noise!!

As others have said - hand catch every time. All it needs is some common sense!
Adopt the Statue of Liberty position you can't fail.............

As a 'real' pilot hand catching is not the norm! But maybe I'll bear that in mind!

Common sense?

Really!!

Rather condescending!

Was after advice about what to do now not before the incident!

I m not sure if ESC is ok. Motor got burned due to high currents with no cooling when rotor got blocked from rotation. Normally ESCs limit the current but if the CSC is not done quickly, motor gets over heated.

Get an estimate from DJI service. That will help you decide if you should by motor and shell.

Thank you.

Getting some awful advice from some people.

If the ESC didn't stop one rotor why did the other three not keep try running?

Thank you.

Getting some awful advice from some people.

If the ESC didn't stop one rotor why did the other three not keep try running?

There are 4 ESCs, one for each motor. I believe one ESC got shorted whereas others switched off the motor. Just a guess.

If one ESC failed, then contact DJI service, they should replace the entire board with failed motor/s and shell free of charge cause ESC didn't do its job.

There are 4 ESCs, one for each motor. I believe one ESC got shorted whereas others switched off the motor. Just a guess.

If one ESC failed, then contact DJI service, they should replace the entire board with failed motor/s and shell free of charge cause ESC didn't do its job.

Thank you, great advice as ever! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are many ways you can fail, and though I'm going to spare you bloody and graphic examples of exactly why, I will request on behalf of sensible pilots that those of you choosing to ignore the risk to your own person while hand-catching 4 props spinning at 7k rpm please stop recommending others do so.

This forum is to help each other in the best way we can. I m sure you will use your experience to help others.

Reactions: Wibble

This forum is to help each other in the best way we can. I m sure you will use your experience to help others.

Reactions: Wibble
What do you mean by that? Was just trying to shut the aircraft down due to the horrendous noise!!

Well whatever he means it's too late for some on here! Haha

As a 'real' pilot hand catching is not the norm! But maybe I'll bear that in mind!

Common sense?

Really!!

Rather condescending!

Was after advice about what to do now not before the incident!

You telling me you don't hand catch your 747!? I do it all the time with mine. Building up some proper muscles too !

Reactions: konidair and Wibble
Thanks alokbhargava, but what's an ESC? Also do you think I'm dreaming if DJI will cover it under warranty?

m0j0, thanks but not a lot of help in my current situation! :-(

My apologies... my comment was crass..

Sorry about the accident.

Reactions: Numone
Pilot error! Glad that is not your 747[emoji41]

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
well you guys do as you like...I have far too many instruments to play and a couple hundred thousand other things I like to keep my hands around for, and won't be catching my phantom any time ever. Most especially not in a gusty, unpredictable wind

Before wandering too far off topic, I'd agree a new motor and shell are what you're likely to need, and since it wasn't a manufacturing defect that caused the problem, it's not really a warranty issue.
My Motif XF8 would never let me, live it down, if I came back from a flying excersise with fingers in splints, or worse, digits in a ziplock bag. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Thopper
+1
...The hand catching vs landing debate will always continue but my argument to that is the RTH function!

Scenario. Blustery day like today. Aircraft loses signal, battery low, or the RTH function is pressed. You let the P3P do its thing and come home. It lands ...

...in my hand

Reactions: Wibble and m0j0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj