Motor Fire on my P3P, help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
..... won't be catching my phantom any time ever. Most especially not in a gusty, unpredictable wind
That's precisely when you should hand catch it. Or you can continue sending it in for repairs. I have landed on the ground 2 times in over 120 flights. Really doesn't even take skill just technique.

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
Scenario. Blustery day like today. Aircraft loses signal, battery low, or the RTH function is pressed. You let the P3P do its thing and come home.
Funny you say this.... Scenario happened to me. Lost signal. RTH kicked in it was really windy.,I was up against the battery because the wind was blowing it away. I still cancelled RTH and caught it. Really my way of getting it is more of a hand grab. I leave it over my head and walk up grab it shut it down. Easy peasy lemon squeezey ..

If the conditions are such that you cannot guarantee safe flight AND landing, and you have chosen to fly anyway, the fault is yours as a pilot. It sucks, I've been there...but the painful lessons are the ones most effective at making you a better operator in the long run.
Exactly.. Hand catch or not.. You have to be aware of the conditions you are flying in. I use UAVweather and set the wind at 12 mph which is very conservative. I don't fly unless the wind is forecast to be less the 12. Sometimes it doesn't work out. The moral of the story is I am aware of the conditions and plan to fly in only decent conditions.

I will request on behalf of sensible pilots .
oh boy! Who died and left you as the emperor of sensible pilots. Sheesh.

Keep landing on the ground and replacing props motors gimbals and the like! Or learn how to recover you bird without it thrashing around on the ground.

Reactions: konidair
oh boy! Who died and left you as the emperor of sensible pilots. Sheesh.

Ok...on my own behalf, then.
I mean... it's not my intent to mandate anything and again, I have no problem with you guys bringing your own birds down however you want (provided you're not endangering anyone else) but it strikes me as irresponsible to leave recommendation on a public forum that anyone get body parts near spinning props, air or ground. Call it preachy if you must...I'll take the rap for that

+1

Two Saturdays ago I flew at my brother in law's neighborhood. He lives on a quiet perfectly flat street. There was no wind. How did I land? Hand-catch!

I realized afterwards, I didn't have to do that. So why did I? I'm just used to it! It's easy! It's safe! It's become a habit.

How many threads are on this site that talk about things that have gone wrong during an attempted ground landing?

How many threads are on this site that talk about things that have gone wrong from an attempted hand catch?

Thanks, but do you think the wiring will be damaged? Also the shell and motor replacement is it a DIY job or should I take it to a dealer?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, I'm sure the motor wiring will have suffered but as the motors come with a good length of wire it'll be fine. If you're competent with a HEX driver, look at all the various vids on how to change over the shell and motor and above all, are patient, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd be daunted too however, I'm sure I could do it.

Reactions: Rich M-S
When I want to stop the engines quickly I pull down the left stick (not up as you are suggesting) going up with the left stick increases throttle...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How many threads are on this site that talk about things that have gone wrong during an attempted ground landing?

How many threads are on this site that talk about things that have gone wrong from an attempted hand catch?

So tell us this
What will happen when something gone wrong attempted landing on ground?
What will happen when something gone wrong attempted hand grab?

I also fly rc plane, I have yet heard anyone try to hand catch one either :)

But the point is instead of trying to convince everyone that the easier but for sure more dangerous way is the thing to do, why don't you try to convince people that they need to develop some flying skill? Able to control your craft could be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

more than 3 years hand catching my phantoms and no even one accident... you just have to be cautious and confident... if you are not confident, you think its dangerous, irresponsable etc... don´t do it...

more than 3 years hand catching my phantoms and no even one accident... you just have to be cautious and confident... if you are not confident, you think its dangerous, irresponsable etc... don´t do it...
That my friend. Take gut

3 years ago!? That's when we were flying phantom 1. The gps assisted was not that great and I remember it was not very stable either ! Hand catch even back then!! I have nothing to add.
Respect!!

To be honest I have not even been close to a problem hand grabbing. I just fly it 3-4 feet away (downwind). Let it stabilize grab the gear shut it down. Truly I stopped putting it on the ground when I noticed how unstable the landing was in the wind on my second flight. It almost tipped over.

So tell us this
What will happen when something gone wrong attempted landing on ground?
What will happen when something gone wrong attempted hand grab?

I also fly rc plane, I have yet heard anyone try to hand catch one either :)

But the point is instead of trying to convince everyone that the easier but for sure more dangerous way is the thing to do, why don't you try to convince people that they need to develop some flying skill? Able to control your craft could be fun!

Here is a bunch of Catch and Release Flying small RC plane:

I catch a few bigger ones as well. It is great in a field with tall grass with power gliders.

But seriously, I rarely catch my MRs. One of them weighs 15 lbs and has 15" carbon rotors.

I have hand caught and released the P3P many times, but I always land i to stop flying. If it is windy and nasty, I just land behind something that shelters a bit, like my truck. And timing can be everything.

I feel sorry for the OP to have this happen. I have had 3-4 tip overs with a few MRs. But I never got any damage, CSC always worked.

There are many ways you can fail, and though I'm going to spare you bloody and graphic examples of exactly why, I will request on behalf of sensible pilots that those of you choosing to ignore the risk to your own person while hand-catching 4 props spinning at 7k rpm please stop recommending others do so.

Some REAL examples would be great!

I will request on behalf of sensible pilots that you stop commenting on something you have no experience of.............

I always hand catch and love it! I can simultaneously hand catch with my right hand as I push the left stick down and hold with my left hand. Its not like you are catching a spinning saw blade. I have done that as well with very poor results I might add . I would post a picture of the finger damage , but its graphic.

Do what you feel comfortable with. I feel very comfortable with hand catch. I don't promote nor dissuade hand catch.

As far as your options.

1. Take a gamble and send it to DJI with explanation. From what I understand it will take weeks and weeks to have repairs completed and returned.

They could also deny you and then you have wasted time sending it in or taking to to a local Authorized DJI service center and then having to retrieve it.
If it is denied many just say "What the Hell" and just pay for the repairs as its too much time and trouble to retrieve it and perform repairs oneself.

2. Find a new Shell on eBay or Amazon or other seller. Find a new replacement motor.
Spend the 4 hours to meticulously remove internal components while examining them and then replace the damaged shell and motor.

This may void your warranty as you personally are not an authorized DJI repair facility.

Since my bird was purchased from a private seller I dont think I have said warranty so I would absolutely clear my tech bench and perform the repairs. Lots of DIY videos on Youtube.

I would also like to see the exact damage and how extensive it was for myself and know that I was replacing all the components that actually needed to be replaced and not trying to cut corners like DJI may do.

I was a bench tech early in my career so this is right up my alley. Its also nice to see the inner workings of the Quad Copter for future repairs.

Just like the saying goes. There are 2 types of quad copter pilots "Those that have crashed and those that are going to crash"

I always hand catch and love it! I can simultaneously hand catch with my right hand as I push the left stick down and hold with my left hand. Its not like you are catching a spinning saw blade. I have done that as well with very poor results I might add .

To each his own
So what you are doing is at the most critical and dangerous point of a flight, while you still control the throttle, but you have no directional control anymore and basically doing a "Carrie Underwood!l?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl