Motor Fire on my P3P, help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that could happen where I live. My home is very close to the state Forrest. So who knows what could have happened. Anyway I still not heard a thing because what I am told there is a lot of warranty claims going through so I just got to wait.

Yes that could happen where I live. My home is very close to the state Forrest. So who knows what could have happened. Anyway I still not heard a thing because what I am told there is a lot of warranty claims going through so I just got to wait.

Thanks for the constructive information! It's been very helpful. I'm glad I'm not he only one thats had this problem. Hopefully DJI might take kindly to our situation.

Useful information is very welcome on this thread. Shame not everyone has the same idea.

Pilot error? Maybe not.

But more to the point: it would not have been a DJI error, so no warranty coverage.

There IS a gray area between out-and-out pilot error and definite DJI design flaw. They have built in a LOT of protections for signal loss or low-battery situations. It used to be the craft would just fly away or fall from the sky, so you should feel glad that you have those fail-safes.

If you let your craft fly until the battery is so low, AND you're doing it in gusty conditions, you've set yourself up for a higher potential of failure. To me, that squarely fits in the pilot error heading; but even if you disagree here, it is certainly not a manufacturing defect.

Battery had 70% left. I landed to put the SD card in!!

The bit I'm an annoyed about is that it just gently rocked back on its (small) skids and the next minute despite all the (correct) motor shut down techniques with thing nearly melted itself!!
By the way taken a previous top tip into consideration and got some polar clip on skids and they solve the unstably issues. Maybe DJI should enlarge the landing gear for improved stability?

Well my battery was 99% charged as it was the first flight. So I could not find out what i did wrong. I went over it again what i did. So to me it's DJI problem. Anyway I now got ti fill out the form and send it off. They have the data from the aircraft. So now to wait again.
John

Check this out and you will know I was doing the right thing with CSC.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting video but missing a couple of tests I would have liked to see (and will probably try on my own when I get some time) - and a couple of comments about some of your tests...

The throttle down 100% only works when you are on the ground.

A couple of the combinations you tested are not valid CSC commands, such as:
- both sticks down and left
- both sticks down and right

I believe that the only reason they worked in your video is because you were on the ground and the throttle was 100% down. That's why those positions took longer to stop the motors. The position of the non-throttle stick was irrelevant in those 2 tests. It was also irrelevant that you were applying 100% yaw ar the same time you were applying 100% down throttle. The only thing that mattered in those 2 tests was that the throttle was 100% down and that the Phantom was already on the ground.

According to the manual, the only valid CSC commands are both sticks down and to the inside, and both sticks down and to the outside.

Also - all of your tests started from the neutral position. I'd be interested in seeing what happens if you transition to a CSC position without passing through the neutral position. For example, throttle 100% left, other stick 100% right - then directly go to both sticks down and to the outside. I'm assuming it should still work - but I've never seen it confirmed or remembered to test it myself. But - if for some reason the CSC is not recognized when you don't start from neutral - it could explain why it appears not to work for some pilots in panic situations when they may not take the time to start from neutral.

If you ever run through your test cases again - you might consider including some transitions that don't start in neutral.

In any case - thanks for taking the time to produce and share the video.

Last edited:
Transition has no effect, it is simply looking for 1000 'counts' of the proper polarity on the proper channels.

Transition has no effect, it is simply looking for 1000 'counts' of the proper polarity on the proper channels.

That may be the way it is supposed to work - but unless you've tested it personally - I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out as a possibility.

With multiple posters claiming (and even submitting proof in some cases) - of having done the correct CSC sequence to no avail, it would seem that there is something at play that is definitely NOT working the way it is supposed to.

I stand by my statements.

Like eye-witness testimony, operator recall is highly unreliable.

Yesterday went to a friend's place to check his P4 out. I thought it was a P4. But it was a P3P the same as mine that had the trouble. Anyway after doing a little fly my friend came down to fast and hit the ground and his aircraft rolled over and stopped 2 motors. And his aircraft started that screeching sound. I ran over and picked the aircraft up and the screeching sound stopped. All the motors on the aircraft started up as well. We checked out his drone and couldn't find any problems and had enough fly all went well.
So we did a test started the engines and rolled the aircraft over and again that screeching sound started and 1 prop just turning over really slow. Picked it up and all 4 engine started turning. Then he turned the craft off.
So you guys give it try and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT BE QUICK IN PICKING UP THEB AIRCRAFT.

How did you get it airborne without an SD?
I tried that to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I flew the other day without the SD card by mistake without any issue. Not sure if the firmware version limits flying without it installed.

I flew the other day without the SD card by mistake without any issue. Not sure if the firmware version limits flying without it installed.

The SD card is not mandatory in any way shape or form. Its sole purpose is to store the photos and videos that you take. If you don't intend to take any photos or videos, you don't need one. It is completely optional.

There are a few ways you can retrieve your photos and videos off of the microSD card - one of which is to remove the card and insert it directly into a computer. If that's the way you choose to do it - it can be easy to forget to reinsert the SD card into the Phantom before your next flight. It's frustrating to get all set up for the shot you want to take and then realize "there's no film in the camera" (no microSD card loaded). *THAT* is the reason that DJI Go *warns* you that there's no SD card inserted - to save you the frustration of getting all set up and then finding out.

If it was a critical component and there was any reason at all not to fly without it - it would be labeled an error, not a warning - and you wouldn't be able to take off.

I have 3 64GB cards that I alternate. After a day of shooting, when I'm about to put everything away, I take the used SD card out and replace it with the empty one. This ensures that I never forget to put one in AND that I always have an empty one ready to go. The only exception to that process is if I'm doing multiple back to back flights and I've already captured some awesome footage that I don't want to risk losing - in that case, I'll swap cards mid-day so I don't risk losing EVERYTHING in the event of a flyaway or a forced water landing (which has so far never happened - knock on wood!!!).

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that flying with an SD card is completely optional. Shortly after I bought my Phantom, the 16GB card that came with the Phantom stopped working and I had to throw it away - but after that and before I bought all of the extra cards, I flew many times without any SD card at all.

56772666.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic