Finally gave up and sent the P3P in for warranty based on "No Signal" issues

Reaction score
On the final day of warranty I contacted DJI who agreed that they should RMA my Phantom 3 Pro.
They immediately sent a RMA and prepaid shipping label.
Here is the text of my warranty claim for those of you who may be experiencing the same issues.
The Customer Rep said this is the detail that made it easy to trouble shoot on their end and instantly approve an RMA. Hope the turn around time is as good as it has been lately,

"FPV live video downlink has been extremely unstable (and at sometimes completely nonfunctional) since September 7, 2015 firmware upgrade. It has continued through all subsequent updates of the P3P, Controller, batteries, GO app and the devices used. At least 50% of the post upgrade flight time with no video (“No Signal” in Red on app). “No Signal” can occur at all distances (whether 5 feet from controller or 1.6 miles from controller). “No Signal” is shown despite the fact that “HD status meter” shows full bars. All other telemetry is stable. Micro SD card video is perfect when downloaded to a computer (no lag, shudder, dropout etc at any setting between 1080 24 to 4K 24).

Backstory: The Phantom 3 Professional was delivered to me on May 23, 2015 and was purchased on-line from the CopterShop in Woodinville, WA. >120 flights and >727,000 feet of flying time. No crashes no hard landings. Flights are generally in uninhabited forests and hill ranges with uninterrupted Line of Sight. The Controller is the “A” model. There have been NO modifications applied to the P3P or controller. The sole add on is a UAVbits Camera Guard. All Firmware upgrades have been applied to the aircraft, controller and the batteries.

Current configuration:

Devices: iPad mini 2 (16gb Wifi/4G) 10GB available and iPhone 6 (16gb wifi/4G) 3 GB available. Both devices are running iOS 9.1.

DJI GO App v 2.4.1

P3P and Batteries firmware v 1.04.001

Controller firmware current as last updated over the air.

Attempts to correct.

1. Replaced USB cable (3 times) (Cambond Apple Compliant .3 meter cables)

2. Deinstalled and reinstalled GO app multiple times

3. Replaced original SD card with 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro

4. Channel Selection has been usually set to channel 20 with <100db noise although other channels have been tried without success

5. FPV rate has been lowered all the way to 4

6. Hardware decode set to both on and off (no difference)

7. Clear video cache when needed

8. Video cache set to both “recording” and “disabled” (no difference)

9. IMU, gimbal and compass recalibration after every Firmware update.

10. Multiple cold reboots of the iPhone and iPad.

11. Cleaned Gold contacts on SD card with alcohol.

Reactions: Poundofnuts
On the final day of warranty I contacted DJI who agreed that they should RMA my Phantom 3 Pro.
They immediately sent a RMA and prepaid shipping label.
Here is the text of my warranty claim for those of you who may be experiencing the same issues.
The Customer Rep said this is the detail that made it easy to trouble shoot on their end and instantly approve an RMA. Hope the turn around time is as good as it has been lately,

"FPV live video downlink has been extremely unstable (and at sometimes completely nonfunctional) since September 7, 2015 firmware upgrade. It has continued through all subsequent updates of the P3P, Controller, batteries, GO app and the devices used. At least 50% of the post upgrade flight time with no video (“No Signal” in Red on app). “No Signal” can occur at all distances (whether 5 feet from controller or 1.6 miles from controller). “No Signal” is shown despite the fact that “HD status meter” shows full bars. All other telemetry is stable. Micro SD card video is perfect when downloaded to a computer (no lag, shudder, dropout etc at any setting between 1080 24 to 4K 24).

Backstory: The Phantom 3 Professional was delivered to me on May 23, 2015 and was purchased on-line from the CopterShop in Woodinville, WA. >120 flights and >727,000 feet of flying time. No crashes no hard landings. Flights are generally in uninhabited forests and hill ranges with uninterrupted Line of Sight. The Controller is the “A” model. There have been NO modifications applied to the P3P or controller. The sole add on is a UAVbits Camera Guard. All Firmware upgrades have been applied to the aircraft, controller and the batteries.

Current configuration:

Devices: iPad mini 2 (16gb Wifi/4G) 10GB available and iPhone 6 (16gb wifi/4G) 3 GB available. Both devices are running iOS 9.1.

DJI GO App v 2.4.1

P3P and Batteries firmware v 1.04.001

Controller firmware current as last updated over the air.

Attempts to correct.

1. Replaced USB cable (3 times) (Cambond Apple Compliant .3 meter cables)

2. Deinstalled and reinstalled GO app multiple times

3. Replaced original SD card with 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro

4. Channel Selection has been usually set to channel 20 with <100db noise although other channels have been tried without success

5. FPV rate has been lowered all the way to 4

6. Hardware decode set to both on and off (no difference)

7. Clear video cache when needed

8. Video cache set to both “recording” and “disabled” (no difference)

9. IMU, gimbal and compass recalibration after every Firmware update.

10. Multiple cold reboots of the iPhone and iPad.

11. Cleaned Gold contacts on SD card with alcohol.
It is too bad you have already sent your P3 for repair, although in your list of attempted corrections I noticed you have not tried my fix...

All i did was move to a custom channel & adjust the data rate to 4-6 MBPS & it solved it for me, more then likely being on an auto channel the rate is set to 8-10 MBPS & your losing signal due to some kind of problem with the data rate, i was losing signal before hand at 50 feet or even before take off... not i go 17,000' easy no break in signal. Hopefully DJI will correct this soon, but i feel this is a solid temporary solution for some people for now.

It is too bad you have already sent your P3 for repair, although in your list of attempted corrections I noticed you have not tried my fix...

All i did was move to a custom channel & adjust the data rate to 4-6 MBPS & it solved it for me, more then likely being on an auto channel the rate is set to 8-10 MBPS & your losing signal due to some kind of problem with the data rate, i was losing signal before hand at 50 feet or even before take off... not i go 17,000' easy no break in signal. Hopefully DJI will correct this soon, but i feel this is a solid temporary solution for some people for now.

Thanks but in my list you will note that I have tried both custom and auto channels with an FPV data rate set to 4. I'm glad the fix did work for you. If it comes back you may be one of those who benefit from the "More Channels Hack" setting the channel to 32.
Thanks again for taking the time to offer assistance.

Thanks but in my list you will note that I have tried both custom and auto channels with an FPV data rate set to 4. I'm glad the fix did work for you. If it comes back you may be one of those who benefit from the "More Channels Hack" setting the channel to 32.
Thanks again for taking the time to offer assistance.
I apologize, I did not see then, have you tried the "32 channel hack"? Please note i am using that in combination with the custom channel & data rate.

Yup I did but only to test it. Because it could be construed to be a FCC (not FAA) violation of bandwidth useage licenses, I deleted it after determining it did not resolve my problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl