No battery power and IMU issues

Reaction score
A new to me Phantom 3 Standard, hasn't been used in over 3 years, and battery lights would not power on. I got a replacement, same specs, it came with 3 lights on, I charged for an hour and now has all 4 LEDs. I popped it in, turned on, and I get this in the app. Also, this IMU won't calibrate and is stuck on 1%, please advise, thanks...
1701635248392.jpeg

1701635272048.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

What is your experience with the DJI products?

At the moment I'm pointing you to @msinger website.
Hopefully this link will take you to the right area.

Rod ..;

Reactions: LOVE NZ
Hmmmm, being on one forum and being redirected to go look at another forum is not helpful. Any info on what is being asked?

You haven't tried the link.
Than I can't help.

Rod ..

Last edited:
A new to me Phantom 3 Standard, hasn't been used in over 3 years, and battery lights would not power on. I got a replacement, same specs, it came with 3 lights on, I charged for an hour and now has all 4 LEDs. I popped it in, turned on, and I get this in the app. Also, this IMU won't calibrate and is stuck on 1%, please advise, thanks...
View attachment 125631
Have you checked the small spring loaded data pins. Maybe they are not making contact or the cable to those pins is dislodged.

Perhaps give that a quick check. I seem to remember if there’s an issue with data transfer through those pins, the battery data doesn’t display even if full battery power is supplied through the larger connectors.

4F296797-283E-4031-820F-1F12354269ED.jpeg

We used to see this when a battery was not fully clicked into place, after a crash when the cable was jarred loose, or after a shell replacement when the cable to those pins was not reconnected.

As for the second part of your question, the first thing that came to mind right away is a stuck IMU. It sounds bizarre, but they sometimes get stuck and people have had some luck getting them unstuck by hitting them with a bit of force. Not joking.

Last edited:
If you didn't look at the link, then you don't want my help.
Also you never answered my question.

I got it, I'm done with this thread.

Rod ..

Reactions: Mark The Droner
The red/green lights turn on, the gimbal moves, so I think the connectivity is ok. Maybe it's just dead??

Yes, I checked the links and still searching anywhere/everywhere. This is a new to me P3S and dormant for these years, so charged up, installed app, connected and just trying to fly.

and btw, total newB, but a techie so I get all this, just wanna get into this...

I contacted DJI, they pointed me to dronenerds. Other than the new battery, I don't want to put a lot of $s and trying to fix, if I can just get a new mini or something at costco for $500.

You have telemetry so your FC is working. You have the video so your gimbal+camera are working.

So it would seem you only have trouble with 2 things:
* Battery communication
* IMU calibration

For battery - use multimeter to check whether the signal reaches FC. @Oso already provided you with picture of one side, the signal then gets to "ESC Center Board" and from there to the FC daughterboard. Check connectivivty at the daughterboard.

For IMU - the IMU is that black box on top of FC daughterboard. Check if it's not damaged by moisture.
But before checking the IMU inside, try just calibrate in different place - where there are no vibrations (solid ground), no EM interference (leave your mobile and chains from your neck a few meters away).

Named pictures of the boards with descriptions, you can find on wiki of dji-firmware-tools project.

Well, between any restarts & redo's, the firmware update in the app came up and I attempted to do that. It never updated successfully and was stuck at 1%, numerous attempts and never changed. Now, somehow in all those attempts, the IMU now sez that's normal, I dunno how but it does. I think the firmware update is now somehow stuck, and can't get past it.

So, I'm now trying to update firmware the manual method. Formatted the SD card, down'd the latest from DJI, copied the .bin to root, put into camera slot, powered on, get the red/green lights from the camera indicator, after about 1 min. it just goes blinking red, 4 beeps, I left if for 30 mins. alone and nuttin, ugh, don't know if I should open a new thread for this or not. The SD card does get the DCIM folder created (it's empty), but the .txt file with results just says not updated. I'm searching all anywhere/everything and still looking. I'm gonna make sure all batts are fully charged (they were 50%) and see if that helps?? Do I need a new thread now or ??

Last edited:
Don't start a new thread, believe me.
You got three member now that know a lot of stuff. I'm not in this list, basically you are just now getting attention to this thread.

Rod ..

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I fought my P3S a lot.
This one of my bookmarks.

Yes, I understand it. 👌

My signature has this statment. "P3S => Fly-it or Fryware-it (Rod)"

Rod ..

Reactions: captainmilehigh
the .txt file with results just says not updated

You will find many threads about that already on the forum. They typically point to here:

Reactions: RodPad
If you can't help, you shouldn't need to tell everyone, just don't reply.
I don’t much care for this kind of response. Rodpad was trying to point you to another discussion on the same topic, instead of reinventing the wheel. Maybe if you don’t want help, don’t ask. Quaddamage and Oso are 2 of the best. Listen to them.

Reactions: RodPad
I don’t much care for this kind of response. Rodpad was trying to point you to another discussion on the same topic, instead of reinventing the wheel. Maybe if you don’t want help, don’t ask. Quaddamage and Oso are 2 of the best. Listen to them.
I tend to agree. Plus, RodPad knows his stuff also when recommending msinger's' Phantomhelp.com ' There's a bunch of info there that may help with these issues.

Read the other FW links, watching DJI and others videos, I think I'm doing everything right. New charged full batts, put in SD card, powered on, after ~10 mins I get the 4 beeps, DDDD, then for the next 30 mins., all I hear is a solid beep, .txt file has this;

========== 2017.05.17 17:14:41 =====================
Packet: P3C_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ...

Is it bricked?

Before I tried to bring this back to life, it was maybe used 10 times. Anyone want a barely used P3S ?:oops:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl