FAA just contacted me

What is wrong with incidental contact?

The connection is in this FAA case they monitored, and decided to educate as it was likely based on a general complaint they received.

In another case they might monitor, contact a "Raub", and get close enough to evaluate whether it's 1stAmend speech or serious threats.

Clear it up any?

No.

Jeez, I have to go rewatch all my videos and posts! This is getting crazy. Why bother with a simple and safe youtube post when there is stuff like the below link out there? I wonder if this kid got a "safety letter" or if he is undergoing "enhanced interrogation" somewhere in Poland at the moment...

I do have to admit, its a very artistic and well edited video, but "HOLY VIOLATION, BATMAN!"

Y'all watch too much TV :)... If you so choose and have a passion for being enlightened on the subject... Lets take it of this form... Send me a message or an email me and I will be happy to provide you proof of my credentials and teach you a thing or two about probable cause...
You are the one that called me out on this......I will be more than happy to prove to you that the heap you quoted as "smellum" is your upper lip...
You might ssk me something, but you couldn' teach me chit about law enforcement on the city, county, state or federal level.
Way to to represent us on an open forum and displaying the full weight, authority and responsibility of the STATE.

Please send me your resume

The FAA can and does contact people who post UAV videos, this is a fact. Just wait for the registered letter to arrive. They are doing this as they say in an attempt to educate flyers. I think it is more to intimidate flyers into the fear that they too may be in the FAA crosshairs even when breaking no rules. I understand contacting people who obviously are breaking the rules, not people who fly responsibly. And not for nothing, the rules are about as clear as mud so people can't fully understand them.

I really appreciate this level of skepticism from and cynicism from a moderator. Really. The things that are being done really ARE big brother esk, just like I said they would be...

This is nonesense. If someone contacts you on facebook, do not answer, do not send them logs, do NOT communicate with them on facebook, or youtube. DO NOT give them your faa number. DO NOT send them your address. Let them find it all themselves. DO NOT admit anything. DO NOT talk to them.

If you did something wrong let them find it. Even if you "have nothing to hide" let them find it all for themselves.

Make them send you a letter. Let them find where to send it to.

Whether the number and name are legit or not, make them contact you through appropriate channels. Get a lawyer involved. Tell them you are not comfortable talking to them without a lawyer.

Just because they sound nice, doesn't mean they are.

This is ABSOLUTELY intimidation.

Don't think because you have nothing to hide, and are innocent that nothing unethical or even illegal can be done to you.

It seems harsh, but you have to protect yourselves. Please be smart about this. Do not give someone more information than they have just to try and prove you are innocent.

We still have legal precedents in this country that prevent such treatment, and the burden is STILL on them to prove you did something wrong. Don't help them fish.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty is there for a reason.

Please, be skeptical. Don't give anything away. Contact a lawyer if you need to.

Or just wait...

Block them if they contact you. You are NOT doing anything wrong. You are just being skeptical of who they are, and you really SHOULD be.

Even if you happen to know they are legit, you should really be very skeptical of WHY they are contacting you!

Everyone does not follow the law. Everyone is not out for your best interest, no matter who they work for..

Don't be stupid.

Last edited:
I know this has already been covered. No way would the FAA send official correspondence via Facebook. No way.
I don't think that is even being questioned here......

The views are The FAA wil/would contact via social media or not.

Moot point actually as it has basically already happened and verified via a followup letter last week.

Just got a facebook message from a guy saying to call him and identified himself as being from the FAA. He said he has had complaints in my area regarding UAS night flights. I mentioned that I didnt fly at night. He started going through every video I had posted on my youtube account (none showed night flying or any rules being broken). He made mention of the 400 ft rule in which I offered up my flight logs for his review. I also have an osmo and recently started doing realestate walkthroughs by hand for a friend. He asked if I was using my drone for this and reminded me of the 333 exemption. I mentioned to him I was looking to apply but was waiting on the possible rules change which he acknowledged. I have nothing to hide, I post sunrise/sunset shots on my local facebook community page, follow all the rules, registered my bird. I have had terrific response from the community, and offered demonstrations to put people at ease. This felt a little bullyish from this guy. He is legit...i wont say his name but he and his number are listed on this page.

https://directory.faa.gov/appsPub/N...VS-001/AFS-001/AEA-200/AEA-GSO-FSDO-39&ZV=I11
Without further reading, I say it is bull. The FAA won't be contacting you via Facebook for crying out loud. Next you're going to tell us he is texting you as well. Anyone could have looked at your page and anyone can see this site.

Reactions: JBJO
Thats wild. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Actually it was several youtube videos viewed by NC FAA inspector(s) and the young lad's dad was spoken to via phone, asked to remove vids and then an official letter sent as follow up.

Folks that think an official won't contact individuals by verious means are simply ill informed. Incidental contact is basically that, incidental

Big difference in that and arrest or excessive detention, fishing expedition or probable cause/reasonable suspicion.

Reactions: BigAl07
Actually it was several youtube videos viewed by NC FAA inspector(s) and the young lad's dad was spoken to via phone, asked to remove vids and then an official letter sent as follow up.

Folks that think an official won't contact individuals by verious means are simply ill informed. Incidental contact is basically that, incidental

Big difference in that and arrest or excessive detention, fishing expedition or probable cause/reasonable suspicion.

All the more reason to do the right thing even when no one is looking :)

My wife's FB account was hacked today and the hacker sent the message "Have you heard the good news?". We have fixed the problem ( I hope) and reported it to FB but you may be a victim of a FB hacker - Just a FYI that FB has been hacked and, as I recall, this was reported a couple of months ago.

Guys I haven't had time to elaborate on this situation but it kind of unfolded since this post. This all started a month ago. I decided to create a repoir with my community page and share some photos . The response was overwhelmingly good. People loved it and was a great platform to educating people on our hobby. One night while putting my kids to sleep about 9pm a lady rang my doorbell in a panic. She was looking in the sky and saying "are you spying on me ...you can't fly at night are you spying" . I was very taken back. I told her I didn't fly at night and didn't know what she was talking about . She ran off mumbling to herself. I petitioned the Facebook community page on the situation and they fully again supported me. A month passed and a few days ago I get this message on Facebook from Larry . It appears the same day the agent sent the note he joined the local page even though he is not local and 2-3 hours away. I called as I had done nothing wrong. He mentioned a complaint in my area regarding night flights. I mentioned it was not me and explained that I knew all the standard safety stuff. Fast forward to 2 days ago. I am flying out of town from work and boarding a plane and my wife text saying the crazy drone lady was back harassing my neighbors looking for me saying a drone is spying in her window. At this point she is harassing my family. My wife called the police and they said oh we are aware of your husband and a drone situation and a department memo has gone out regarding him. So I call the officer and he explains how it all ties together. This crazy lady called the FAA and complained and they called the local Leo. The Leo said the FAA spoke highly of me and that I was likely not the perp. The officer said he was sure the lady was paranoid and no drone was reported by any neighbor. Apparently she claims it visits every night . I figured I would get a written letter as a standard process. I hope this sheds light on the situation

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys I haven't had time to elaborate on this situation but it kind of unfolded since this post. This all started a month ago. I decided to create a repoir with my community page and share some photos . The response was overwhelmingly good. People loved it and was a great platform to educating people on our hobby. One night while putting my kids to sleep about 9pm a lady rang my doorbell in a panic. She was looking in the sky and saying "are you spying on me ...you can't fly at night are you spying" . I was very taken back. I told her I didn't fly at night and didn't know what she was talking about . She ran off mumbling to herself. I petitioned the Facebook community page on the situation and they fully again supported me. A month passed and a few days ago I get this message on Facebook from Larry . It appears the same day the agent sent the note he joined the local page even though he is not local and 2-3 hours away. I called as I had done nothing wrong. He mentioned a complaint in my area regarding night flights. I mentioned it was not me and explained that I knew all the standard safety stuff. Fast forward to 2 days ago. I am flying out of town from work and boarding a plane and my wife text saying the crazy drone lady was back harassing my neighbors looking for me saying a drone is spying in her window. At this point she is harassing my family. My wife called the police and they said oh we are aware of your husband and a drone situation and a department memo has gone out regarding him. So I call the officer and he explains how it all ties together. This crazy lady called the FAA and complained and they called the local Leo. The Leo said the FAA spoke highly of me and that I was likely not the perp. The officer said he was sure the lady was paranoid and no drone was reported by any neighbor. Apparently she claims it visits every night . I figured I would get a written letter as a standard process. I hope this sheds light on the situation

Should have told her she wasn't worth spending battery life on and to stop flattering herself! Take HER back a little. :p

Others have said she does the same thing...shows up acting crazy and looking in the sky...she told me "you know it's totally illegal to fly at night". I just said "I haven't done it". Her immediate neighbors have said they haven't seen or heard it once and this supposedly has been going on for months...

The good news is the support has been great this is just a small sample of the community response
57722a61b1034bd9e347a2c0a9d2c4ad.jpg
cade1f0e3efc38486e8fd51432b63594.jpg
52bdba1c452802f7999ce3d4f2ccfaff.jpg

The FAA can and does contact people who post UAV videos, this is a fact. Just wait for the registered letter to arrive. They are doing this as they say in an attempt to educate flyers. I think it is more to intimidate flyers into the fear that they too may be in the FAA crosshairs even when breaking no rules. I understand contacting people who obviously are breaking the rules, not people who fly responsibly. And not for nothing, the rules are about as clear as mud so people can't fully understand them.

Well now,
This is getting interesting.....and of course, seems you're right TJ.

Hey, can we also serve up some crow to those who called-me all kinds of things including "anti-government" recently for daring to suggest that this whole FAA / drone thing had the potential to get ugly and might not be exactly what it seems?
Jason...
Why don't take your anti-government BS else where.
Hours until deadline. ..who has not Registered

Gee fella, just pointing out the obvious.

GoodNNuff...
Yes, but I refrained from telling you how sick I am of your posts.
Look back at what you have posted over the past 8-12 weeks - it is 99% anti-government and anti FAA rants.

Ouch! But did you miss all my posts trying to help people with their drone issues? And besides, seems I was right.

Gee guys, even Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming. A lot of us knew this wasn't about safety. It reeked of intimidation all along.
GoodnNuff, forget my posts, imagine how sick people every where are of being harassed over their hobby even when doing nothing wrong.
I see the main problem as too many people sitting quietly and saying nothing...or worse....defending the madness.

Anyway
....seems these FAA contacts are either all about certain people within the FAA who dislike drones and are using their positions to intimidate people or.....the fines will soon start. Registration was needed to help pin the fines on specific people imo...if that starts.

btw....I'm not anti-government, just anti-"stupid/nanny-state" government. Some of these FAA contacts are pretty lame.
I parked all my drones over 8 ounces February 17th. I do believe that eventually, sanity will return.
Watching this all unfold.
giphy.gif

Well now,
This is getting interesting.....and of course, seems you're right TJ.

Hey, can we also serve up some crow to those who called-me all kinds of things including "anti-government" recently for daring to suggest that this whole FAA / drone thing had the potential to get ugly and might not be exactly what it seems?
Jason...

Gee fella, just pointing out the obvious.

GoodNNuff...

Ouch! But did you miss all my posts trying to help people with their drone issues? And besides, seems I was right.

Gee guys, even Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming. A lot of us knew this wasn't about safety. It reeked of intimidation all along.
GoodnNuff, forget my posts, imagine how sick people every where are of being harassed over their hobby even when doing nothing wrong.
I see the main problem as too many people sitting quietly and saying nothing...or worse....defending the madness.

Anyway
....seems these FAA contacts are either all about certain people within the FAA who dislike drones and are using their positions to intimidate people or.....the fines will soon start. Registration was needed to help pin the fines on specific people imo...if that starts.

btw....I'm not anti-government, just anti-"stupid/nanny-state" government. Some of these FAA contacts are pretty lame.
I parked all my drones over 8 ounces February 17th. I do believe that eventually, sanity will return.
Watching this all unfold.

Wait. What?

It's early here and I've only had one cup of coffee but ... It seems that the story is this:

- guy flies around in a UAV, takes pictures, puts on FB
- locals notice, most of them seem to enjoy it
- one local who stopped her meds a couple months ago gets all paranoid
- Ms. Paranoid calls LEO, annoys the hell out of them
- LEO (or Ms. Paranoid) calls FAA
- 'Safety' person looks at vids, finds something that doesn't fit the Rightous And Upstanding Rules for UAVs (whatever they are), says 'can I send you a nice letter with only a little bit of a stick behind it'
- Hilarity ensues (well, that part maybe not)
- FAA goes back to looking at FB / YT vids for terrorist and Other Miscreants
- Your tax dollars at work (cheaper than an aircraft carrier battle group at least)
- nothing to see here, move along

No big nasty brothers or extraordinary renditions. The FCC has done this for years with amateur ops (minus Facebook, they have your address and phone number). If they think you're screwing up, they will informally contact you. Nice and friendly. Of course, they have some large 2x4s in the truck if needed but they have a limited budget and would just as soon as scare you into compliance than do anything else more complicated.

Other than the fact that the FAA is actually using social media (poor guy having to look through FB at work, I'd want hazardous duty pay) this is a non issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl