FAA just contacted me

hear fly mine over that area will really freak out lady and no law about night flights

A month passed and a few days ago I get this message on Facebook from Larry

Re: being told you would be receiving an "educational letter"....

Here is an excerpt taken from a Forbes.com article on a couple of separate cases where an FAA agent contacted a drone hobbyist with regard to taking down a website since they thought it was being used for commercial purposes. The other case is with regard to a YouTube poster and his video indicating he was flying commercially - he received a letter from the FAA that purports to be an "educational letter".

As the author clearly points out - neither of these cases had anything to do with safety concerns but was all about suspected commercial use..............

Well this week has brought to light how at least two FAA safety officials in disparate parts of the country have been spending some of their time: watching drone videos. In both cases, the videos were apparently not being watched to ferret out unsafe operations of drones but to determine whether the operators were engaged in commercial activities.

One case involved the head of the Portland, Maine Flight Standards District Office who left a voice mail message for a drone operator he suspected of operating commercially informing him that they would be looking for him to take down his website. No mention of any safety issues on the voice mail.

The other case involved a letter sent to a drone hobbyist from an FAA inspector in Tampa, Florida informing him that his YouTube account indicated that he was operating commercially. Again, no mention in the letter of any safety concerns. The letter purports to be an educational letter informing the drone operator of the FAA rules.

I would say the inspector needs to be educated on whether a YouTube account indicates commercial operation, but I digress.

If you want to read the full article you can follow this link.....Is Watching Drone Videos Good Use Of FAA Inspector Time?

Re: being told you would be receiving an "educational letter"....

Here is an excerpt taken from a Forbes.com article on a couple of separate cases where an FAA agent contacted a drone hobbyist with regard to taking down a website since they thought it was being used for commercial purposes. The other case is with regard to a YouTube poster and his video indicating he was flying commercially - he received a letter from the FAA that purports to be an "educational letter".

As the author clearly points out - neither of these cases had anything to do with safety concerns but was all about suspected commercial use..............

Well this week has brought to light how at least two FAA safety officials in disparate parts of the country have been spending some of their time: watching drone videos. In both cases, the videos were apparently not being watched to ferret out unsafe operations of drones but to determine whether the operators were engaged in commercial activities.

One case involved the head of the Portland, Maine Flight Standards District Office who left a voice mail message for a drone operator he suspected of operating commercially informing him that they would be looking for him to take down his website. No mention of any safety issues on the voice mail.

The other case involved a letter sent to a drone hobbyist from an FAA inspector in Tampa, Florida informing him that his YouTube account indicated that he was operating commercially. Again, no mention in the letter of any safety concerns. The letter purports to be an educational letter informing the drone operator of the FAA rules.

I would say the inspector needs to be educated on whether a YouTube account indicates commercial operation, but I digress.

If you want to read the full article you can follow this link.....Is Watching Drone Videos Good Use Of FAA Inspector Time?
Seems they are(as in the past) obsessed with anything that smacks of a commercial nature.

I now that both the FAA and TC are fanatical about any possibility of a commercial use without a Commercial Pilot's license.

Seems petty and small for them to be so focused on an individual making a buck with a toy, yet seem to be so oblivious to what most of the public that they "protect" consider to be priorities in Commercial Flying.

Wasn't trying to cause an argument...just informing people what happened to me

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

miss-st-girl%282%29-a.jpg

Corn Fed.....:D
Just came to school here from NC ;)
An ya could have got one from Ole MS :)

Ya.....ok...........now look what you did..........LOL.

So many threads end up with "disagreements....not arguments" - well....most of the time just disagreements.

I don't think it had anything to do with you or your thread.

Simply put, some posts were all or nothing thinking in the form of rhetoric and based solely on ill informed information and supposed experience.

We saw it in another similar thread.

When someone makes an all or nothing positive statement of fact or law, they should expect challenge and rebuttal comments especially when dead wrong and espousing credentials.

Did someone say crow?
Ya.....ok...........now look what you did..........LOL.

So many threads end up with "disagreements....not arguments" - well....most of the time just disagreements.
Disagreements & arguments? Not this forum of happy campers! :D

Dinner is served!
c2b78c1938adc975801c4d65fae1bdf1.jpg

Did someone say crow?

Disagreements & arguments? Not this forum of happy campers! :D

Dinner is served!
c2b78c1938adc975801c4d65fae1bdf1.jpg

Gee, it happens so often you'd think posters would learn about blind positive statements not to mention automatically doubting their fellow man(OP) rather than giving benefit of the doubt.

By the way is that table setting proper? Shouldn't the spoon be moved to replace the far right knife........oh never mind. lol

Reactions: dirkclod
It's not just blind positive but any position to the extreme.
Like a Bell-curve distribution most truths lie near the center of [extreme] opposing positions.

Glad you did! thanks..

you didn't start an argument at all.

spirited communication....

really glad to know what the FAA is truly doing etc

I'm new to this. I'm thinking about a p4. Can the faa track your flights?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not in any general way. Your drone flight records do track your flights but you control access to those mostly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl