FAA just contacted me

- guy flies around in a UAV, takes pictures, puts on FB
- locals notice, most of them seem to enjoy it
- one local who stopped her meds a couple months ago gets all paranoid
- Ms. Paranoid calls LEO, annoys the hell out of them
- LEO (or Ms. Paranoid) calls FAA
I think you were spot on up to that point.
Read again. It seems both the local LEO and the FAA are on the drone pilot's side and realize they are dealing with a crazy lady.

If I am wrong, it proves my brain doesn't really wake up until that 2nd cup of coffee...

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm feeling a bit jealous. Not because the FAA hasn't paid attention to my videos, but because the computers I use in government facilities block access to Facebook and YouTube.

I'm feeling a bit jealous. Not because the FAA hasn't paid attention to my videos, but because the computers I use in government facilities block access to Facebook and YouTube.

I feel your pain. Blocked at work as well.:(

Law enforcement will never contact you over social media for any legit law enforcement business/investigation.

Speaking from 3 years of experience as an LE.

Why the continued denial of what has already been proven?

You are really out of touch.

A simple Google Search will reveal the ways LE uses SM for crime communication, prevention, and investigation to name a few.

It's concerning to hear so many alleged LEOs not aware of this.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Crazy lady called FAA first.....FAA had to contact LEO

Wait. What?

It's early here and I've only had one cup of coffee but ... It seems that the story is this:

- 'Safety' person looks at vids, finds something that doesn't fit the Rightous And Upstanding Rules for UAVs (whatever they are), says 'can I send you a nice letter with only a little bit of a stick behind it'
- Hilarity ensues (well, that part maybe not)
- FAA goes back to looking at FB / YT vids for terrorist and Other Miscreants
- Your tax dollars at work (cheaper than an aircraft carrier battle group at least)
- nothing to see here, move along

No big nasty brothers or extraordinary renditions. The FCC has done this for years with amateur ops (minus Facebook, they have your address and phone number). If they think you're screwing up, they will informally contact you. Nice and friendly. Of course, they have some large 2x4s in the truck if needed but they have a limited budget and would just as soon as scare you into compliance than do anything else more complicated.

Other than the fact that the FAA is actually using social media (poor guy having to look through FB at work, I'd want hazardous duty pay) this is a non issue.

I'm going to explain this once and discontinue replying to this thread due to the amount of uneducated, ignorant people who think anything they read on Internet is true, and take things out of concept without truly understanding what they're speaking about.

Law enforcement will never CONTACT you over the social media for LAW ENFORCEMENT BUSINESS/INVESTIGATION.

Aka: You'll never be told there's a warrant for your arrest over Facebook. You'll never be tweeted to pay a citation. You'll never be questioned on MySpace regarding violating laws. You'll never be asked on Google+ to mail in your drone for confiscation due to violating regulations.

Any and all of that "cannot be used against you in court". Please refer to Miranda Rights and Questioning vs Interrogation.

Now onto the other side of this. Can LE find a child predator online and pretend to be an underage female to see if he will expose himself and go to a meeting spot with an intention to have an intercourse? Yes.

Can LE add you as a friend and keep tabs on your illegal activities and to passively gain intel regarding drug, gang and/or any other criminal activities which will later aid in investigations. Yes.

Thanks for reading.

Law enforcement will never contact you over social media for any legit law enforcement business/investigation.

Speaking from 3 years of experience as an LE.

"ANY legit law enforcement business/investigation."

Still incorrect.

Law enforcement will never CONTACT you over the social media for LAW ENFORCEMENT BUSINESS/INVESTIGATION.
FAA is not your local law enforcement agency, sir. (Best to treat the man with a badge with respect).

Aka: You'll never be told there's a warrant for your arrest over Facebook. You'll never be tweeted to pay a citation. You'll never be questioned on MySpace regarding violating laws. You'll never be asked on Google+ to mail in your drone for confiscation due to violating regulations.
Nobody here as alleged this has happened. No one on the other posts involving social media have said anything like this.
What has happened is completely different, people have been contacted by the FAA via social media, given a number to call to verify that they are indeed with the FAA. During that phone call is when the FAA has explained the reason for the contact - not via a tweet or a text message, got that, sir? Then the FAA has followed up with a letter.

So while you are insulting and then attempting to educate us, maybe you better check your own reading comprehension and understand what you are responding to before speak.

Another cop with an attitude, or another milquetoast with an internet badge, who knows?

Wait. What?

It's early here and I've only had one cup of coffee but ... It seems that the story is this:

- 'Safety' person looks at vids, finds something that doesn't fit the Rightous And Upstanding Rules for UAVs (whatever they are), says 'can I send you a nice letter with only a little bit of a stick behind it'
- Hilarity ensues (well, that part maybe not)
- FAA goes back to looking at FB / YT vids for terrorist and Other Miscreants
- Your tax dollars at work (cheaper than an aircraft carrier battle group at least)
- nothing to see here, move along

No big nasty brothers or extraordinary renditions. The FCC has done this for years with amateur ops (minus Facebook, they have your address and phone number). If they think you're screwing up, they will informally contact you. Nice and friendly. Of course, they have some large 2x4s in the truck if needed but they have a limited budget and would just as soon as scare you into compliance than do anything else more complicated.

Other than the fact that the FAA is actually using social media (poor guy having to look through FB at work, I'd want hazardous duty pay) this is a non issue.

This is not the only incident....others have posted proof of being contacted by the FAA
But you miss the bigger point and the greater good.......where's all the carnage that forced the government into the hobby? Seriously? WHERE?

Wait...what? There is none. Point made.

No where did I say any of that was discussed in the thread. Those were simple examples of what law enforcement will and will not do. The guy is a scam. If he was legit, he would advise the individual to either 1) contact him via a legit communication source aka phone or 2) to meet at the local office in person.

Thanks for the continued ignorance, it's expected and is very much common anymore in the 21st century America. Everyone thinks they know everything from educating themselves watching Law and Order or videos on YouTube for a couple of hours, completely ignoring the fact that people attend 785 hours of training along with 16 hour update sessions every year to be in this field.

State to state or local to local laws differ, federal laws don't. Miranda Rights and Questioning vs Interrogation are federally based procedures/regulations. States have a right to make laws and procedures stricter but not more lenient. The big misconception that everyone has is that federal laws are more strict and "scary" and that is simply impossible.

No where did I say any of that was discussed in the thread. Those were simple examples of what law enforcement will and will not do. The guy is a scam. If he was legit, he would advise the individual to either 1) contact him via a legit communication source aka phone or 2) to meet at the local office in person.
Speaking of ignorance, did you even read the thread here that you are responding to?
Here, LOOK (post #32 on page #2 of this thread):

a2a6c6c2060a92583426aba90ffb2c11.jpg

A bit frightening that someone with such a lack of attention to details is actually investigating crimes...

Thanks for the continued ignorance, it's expected and is very much common anymore in the 21st century America. Everyone thinks they know everything from educating themselves watching Law and Order or videos on YouTube for a couple of hours, completely ignoring the fact that people attend 785 hours of training along with 16 hour update sessions every year to be in this field.

State to state or local to local laws differ, federal laws don't. Miranda Rights and Questioning vs Interrogation are federally based procedures/regulations. States have a right to make laws and procedures stricter but not more lenient. The big misconception that everyone has is that federal laws are more strict and "scary" and that is simply impossible.

I can interrogate or question or talk to you or a suspect all I want without Miranda. I just can't use it in a US Court of law.

Contacted again via Facebook messenger

a2a6c6c2060a92583426aba90ffb2c11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You did see this post didn't you? The one where the Inspector did ID himself by Name and Title and provided his contact information in a PROFESSIONAL and OFFICIAL manner?

Why can't cops and gubbment just LEAVE GOOD PEOPLE ALONE already !?
Aren't there enough really bad guys out there to focus on?

8131408032_68b29ae6a8.jpg

Then send standardized educational letters formally spelling out acceptable operating parameters.

Bang on......that's what it is........even up here with Transport Canada the first step in any investigation regarding "drones" or any flying machine is to have a verbal discussion with the pilot suspected of flying wrecklessly or commercially without an SFOC (same as your 333 exemption).

Contacted again via Facebook messenger

After the verbal discussion they send out an "educational letter" since that is about as far as they can go unless proven otherwise........at least that is what Transport Canada does with follow-ups of reported or witnessed careless or unlawful area flights with a "drone".

So it looks pretty routine after the initial contact they made with you.....I have read a few articles where the FAA is getting themselves into trouble by viewing online videos and websites trying to enforce their rules and regs on posters of same.

NOTE: First of all, the FAA can’t make laws – only develop guidelines and regulations. The federal government has no authority whatsoever to regulate the operation of remote-controlled model aircraft.

This article should help put your mind at ease - seems a bit dated at first but read on there is a lot of great info and links to follow KEEP CALM: The FAA and sUAVs/Drone Rules (Final UPDATE) by Jeff Foster - ProVideo Coalition

The FAA can and does contact people who post UAV videos, this is a fact. Just wait for the registered letter to arrive. They are doing this as they say in an attempt to educate flyers. I think it is more to intimidate flyers into the fear that they too may be in the FAA crosshairs even when breaking no rules.

Keep this in mind as to the FAA and their antics with trolling YouTube, FB and Websites......

"These continued scare tactics by the FAA are not only going to backfire on them as the truth that THERE ARE STILL NO ENFORCEABLE LAWS ON THE BOOKS regarding commercial aerial photography/videography from a UAV/UAS/Drone – but they are also wasting what little resources they already have spending time looking for “offenders” through online postings.

The above taken from a rather lengthy article you can read via this link - (long but worth the read if not done already) KEEP CALM: The FAA and sUAVs/Drone Rules (Final UPDATE) by Jeff Foster - ProVideo Coalition and this one where the FAA tried to use scare tactics to force a guy to remove his website regarding aerial photography business......Legal experts question FAA's move to ground Gorham man's drone website - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.