FAA just contacted me

Reaction score
Just got a facebook message from a guy saying to call him and identified himself as being from the FAA. He said he has had complaints in my area regarding UAS night flights. I mentioned that I didnt fly at night. He started going through every video I had posted on my youtube account (none showed night flying or any rules being broken). He made mention of the 400 ft rule in which I offered up my flight logs for his review. I also have an osmo and recently started doing realestate walkthroughs by hand for a friend. He asked if I was using my drone for this and reminded me of the 333 exemption. I mentioned to him I was looking to apply but was waiting on the possible rules change which he acknowledged. I have nothing to hide, I post sunrise/sunset shots on my local facebook community page, follow all the rules, registered my bird. I have had terrific response from the community, and offered demonstrations to put people at ease. This felt a little bullyish from this guy. He is legit...i wont say his name but he and his number are listed on this page.

https://directory.faa.gov/appsPub/N...VS-001/AFS-001/AEA-200/AEA-GSO-FSDO-39&ZV=I11

That's wild. You're at least the 2nd guy in the last week. But this is the first time I've heard of them using FB but I know for a fact they are "on" FB.

Just stay safe and don't break any of the rules/regs.

Reactions: riverphantom3
I offered up my logs and told him I was WELL documented on facebook, as denying any attempt at payment for my photos. I actually gave them away to several community members for free. I explained it was against the rules. Its all out there documented. One post I had on the local community page had over 2500 "likes" and over 100 postive comments. He did say a law was coming at the end of this month that will loosen restrictions

Yep. You're not hard to find now(registered) if there is any complaint real or made up anywhere near you.

Here in gun shy Canada, people have called the POPO and mentioned a gun was sighted and then one is raided by SWAT or interviewed if you have registered firearms and live near the reported gun sighting.
It has become so commonplace that urban slang has named it.
It is now called Swatting someone you don't like.

I guess the same thing is starting with the drone haters.

Seems like the FAA has nothing better to do but troll YouTube and FB and harass drone pilots. THIS is why I'll never post my vids anywhere but in my personal library. Not even here. Mainly because I can guarantee they're trolling through this forum on a constant basis. Out of all the things we need to be worried about in our airspace and they're harassing drone pilots. Nice FAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 750r
Only going to get worse I see this becoming a problem . They will start hitting all online flights but this is twice now I read about the 400' rule and they got this from watching a vid :rolleyes: This is the make things up and see if you rat yourself out method and remember they are aloud by law to lie to get a confession . Watch your 6 guys & gales ;)

just for the record I only fly during the day 20 feet high and 50 feet away ;)

Yep. You're not hard to find now(registered) if there is any complaint real or made up anywhere near you.

Registration is not publicly searchable yet and it's unlikely your vids would contain your reg. # anyways.

EDIT: Misread... nevermind.

None of my videos were even close to 400ft.....he said EMS helicopters regularly fly through my town at 500 ft. I explained I understood the rules and do my best to comply (which is true). Just a little rattled......

When someone mounts a clear trial case to challenge the FAA authority in order to get clear law and interpretations.

he did make mention of a rules change coming at the end of the month regarding commercial use and 333 exemption. Has anybody heard anything about this, other than just a rumor?

1. FB is a plague, and an ideal platform for the naive to expose their private life to just about anyone.
  2. If someone wants to investigate you, at least let them work hard for it.
  3. If you upload stuff that is NOT illegal, but controversial, at least post it in a way only those you TRUST (didnt say "friends" on purpose) can see it.
  4. If a bloke contacts you like this via FB, you can either ignore it, or politely respond, options are:
    • Dear Mr/Ms XYZ, if you are contacting me on behalf of the agency you claim to be working for, for whichever questions you may need to ask, please be so kind to use an appropriate channel and send me an official letter with your inquiry to my postal address. I would be very pleased to answer your questions submitted in such official form.
    • Sorry, do we know each other? I cant remember having invited you on my wedding....
    • My real name is not "ie John Myers". I am just using this alias to fool our admins, you know we have UAV censorship here in Uzbekistan. Abdulaziz here. All flight made in suburb of Takhtakupyr. You come here for holiday this summer? you bring your bird we fly together. Xudo sen bilan bo'lishi mumkin!!
    • Warn the individual that as a honest, tax paying citizen, you feel it is your moral obligation to report any government employee wasting tax payers' money by wandering on FB, instead of doing a proper job in their working hours. You have taken screen shots and you are going to the Feds.
  5. Rethink point No1, i guess there is more to it than just the flight videos.....
Fly smart, think smart

It is now called Swatting someone you don't like.

"No Urban Slang" - its a real charge here and in the US - and been around for a long time.....Swatting is the act of deceiving an emergency service (via such means as hoaxing an emergency services dispatcher) into dispatching an emergency response based on the false report of an ongoing critical incident (wiki).

I hear ya on the drone swatters!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20