FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Sorry, I guess we are agreeing.

The appearance is that the FAA wanted a way to be SURE they got your correct identity. Requiring a credit card verifies the other information.
They seem to be going the extra mile to make sure honest people are whipped into staying that way.
The people they should really be worrying about probably will never bother with their "registration".

I could throw out some tin foil thoughts but....nahhhh o_O

I'm not trying get you or anyone. I'm trying to make people aware. Finally the FAA admitted the database will be made public. The word admitted tells us that they did not make that fact available to us up front. Get it? They hide the truth from us. We need to hold our government accountable for what they do to you and me. Now, if you are trying to get picky and get me on what I say, fine. Have fun but realize the point being made.
It was only characterized as an "admission" because the media and the public didn't bother to read the 211 page FAA document, released simultaneously with the registration announcement, in which it was stated, in plain English, on page 148, as I repeatedly told everyone here, who refused to believe me, but are now pretending they knew all along...

"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."

Last edited:
Reactions: Apilot101
And it's unclear if this would actually be accepted by the system as the parameters state that you must provide your physical address.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
How do I register my UAS?
It costs only $5 to register your UAS and the process is simple and web-based. Registration is free for the first 30 days. Some things you'll need before you get started:

• An email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
A $5 gift Visa card with no associated name or address should also work (you likely will forgo the $5 credit, but so what...) and every post office has a physical address associated with it, so use that street address with the box # as the suite #. It's not like they are going to mail you anything. You have already created a separate dedicated email address for FAA to communicate with you, haven't you? Most planes with N numbers are registered to business entities or some form of a corporation with a business address, instead of the pilot's physical home address. Why should drone pilots deserve any less anonymity?

To all those thinking that this database will only be searchable by entering the registration number.... I'd like to ask you why you think that this will be (or remain) the case. Right now anyone can go to the FAA Registry on the web and submit an inquiry by registration number, name, and location (state/county). Even if the drone registry starts with only allowing a search by registration number, most people here know that it's a trivial matter to include all other data points that were collected in search scopes.

Case in point: go to FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry and select "Name". Then type in "Buffett". You can pull up all sorts of info about planes owned by "Uncle Warren" this way. There is no reason to suspect that the database of drone will become anything different.

There's a reason that firearms owners don't like their names being published on lists. There's a reason that concealed carry permit holders have fought against liberal newspapers publishing names and addresses of permit recipients. And that's the same reason why people who registered should fight against this action, and why I refuse to register in the first place.

To all those thinking that this database will only be searchable by entering the registration number.... I'd like to ask you why you think that this will be (or remain) the case. Right now anyone can go to the FAA Registry on the web and submit an inquiry by registration number, name, and location (state/county). Even if the drone registry starts with only allowing a search by registration number, most people here know that it's a trivial matter to include all other data points that were collected in search scopes.

Case in point: go to FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry and select "Name". Then type in "Buffett". You can pull up all sorts of info about planes owned by "Uncle Warren" this way. There is no reason to suspect that the database of drone will become anything different.

There's a reason that firearms owners don't like their names being published on lists. There's a reason that concealed carry permit holders have fought against liberal newspapers publishing names and addresses of permit recipients. And that's the same reason why people who registered should fight against this action, and why I refuse to register in the first place.

Exactly. The FAA has not thought this out and they know things will happen, so they only want to be able to get the person responsible. They really don't care about being fair in their rules or the fun in our hobbies. So, they make a silly rule that is very general with a broad scope to catch us all. Then, so they don't have to do any work, they make the database open to the public and leave it to the public to monitor the problems by the public reporting issues. Just as if you have a cranky neighbor who is always causing trouble. As I said before, the more we give away, the more we lose. What is the hurry to register before the deadline of February 19, 2016? The AMA may be successful in pounding some sense into the FAA who cares little about our hobby and the facts of this hobby and what it entails.

Reactions: Damocleez
Let's hope the registration database remains searchable only based on the registration number and is only used as it was intended but I am rather doubtful it will stay that way very long. Only because of my past experience with other governmental agencies, such as the FCC and its database in which anyone can search on or for just about any field of data, such as zip code, city, etc. Not that it will be a huge deal should this sUAS info become open to the public, in as much as I can imagine. However the FAA should be required to stick to their privacy statements made on their website:

sUAS Privacy FAQs.jpg

Well isn't this interesting. I was just on the FAA website reviewing the registering process and there is a question which asks:
"Who must register a UAS?

The owner must be:
•13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
•A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident."

So, it turns out that a person here illegally, who just might live here can buy a UAS and that person doesn't have to register. I thought the FAA was concerned about safety. Guess not. So, because we are law abiding citizens, we have to register ourselves as UAS owners. Any other thoughts about this unfair, safety issue?

Reactions: Apilot101
Well isn't this interesting. I was just on the FAA website reviewing the registering process and there is a question which asks:
"Who must register a UAS?

The owner must be:
•13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
•A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident."

So, it turns out that a person here illegally, who just might live here can buy a UAS and that person doesn't have to register. I thought the FAA was concerned about safety. Guess not. So, because we are law abiding citizens, we have to register ourselves as UAS owners. Any other thoughts about this unfair, safety issue?
No .. it's a red tape technicality.
The FAA is not allowed to register foreign aircraft .. so they can't register foreign owned drones.
But they do allow foreign owners to go through the same procedure.
They just call it an ownership certificate rather than registration.

No .. it's a red tape technicality.
The FAA is not allowed to register foreign aircraft .. so they can't register foreign owned drones.
But they do allow foreign owners to go through the same procedure.
They just call it an ownership certificate rather than registration.

Thanks for that information. But, it seems to me the purpose is to be able to determine if for example, a crash occurs a drone with a helicopter, that the FAA will be able to determine whose drone was flying to high or whatever the problem was that caused the accident. So, what happens if it belongs to a foreigner and is not registered under any procedure? Looks like a loophole, or am I missing something here?

what happens if it belongs to a foreigner and is not registered under any procedure? Looks like a loophole, or am I missing something here?
Yes ... it's no loophole.
Anyone flying a drone in the US is required to register whether citizen, illegal alien or anything in between.
But for non citizens it's not called registration (because the FAA can only register US owned planes)
For non citizens its called an ownership certificate rather than registration.

And in the scenario you use, the citizenship status of the flyer makes no difference.
It will be the same for anyone that is not registered.

Yes ... it's no loophole.
Anyone flying a drone in the US is required to register whether citizen, illegal alien or anything in between.
But for non citizens it's not called registration (because the FAA can only register US owned planes)
For non citizens its called an ownership certificate rather than registration.

And in the scenario you use, the citizenship status of the flyer makes no difference.
It will be the same for anyone that is not registered.

Got it. Thanks.

What's with this statement on the UAS registration site:

Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:

.... ....
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States.
Does this mean if I take my P3 to Cabo San Lucas next month I can't have used the online registration? Why would they require that?

.... ....
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States.
Does this mean if I take my P3 to Cabo San Lucas next month I can't have used the online registration? Why would they require that?
I wager a guess that if you try to return to the US with an unregistered UAV, you might not get your unregistered drone back?

I wager a guess that if you try to return to the US with an unregistered UAV, you might not get your unregistered drone back?

just wondering what you would be basing that assumption on??? Registration is only required to fly a drone out doors.

Nothing says one has be registered to merely possess a drone.

just wondering what you would be basing that assumption on??? Registration is only required to fly a drone out doors.

Nothing says one has be registered to merely possess a drone.
Which is why I ended my statement with a question mark...
But to really get an answer, try leaving the country and returning through customs with your unregistered drone.
Let us know what happens!

Reactions: WetDog
You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States.
It's strange but none of the explanations here makes sense.
What you do outside US territory is of no interest to the FAA
Bringing an unregistered UAV into the US is not an offence.

The closest I can guess is that it's poorly worded and somehow related to ...
Anyone outside the US wanting to register their (foreign owned) drone for a trip to the US has to use the paper system.
That still doesn't make sense though.
Perhaps it's following the FAA's inability to see a 2lb toy as anything but an airplane.
Maybe they want you to fill out the same paperwork as United has to to register a 747 for overseas use??

It's strange but none of the explanations here makes sense.
What you do outside US territory is of no interest to the FAA

The closest I can guess is that it's poorly worded and somehow related to ...
Anyone outside the US wanting to register their (foreign owned) drone for a trip to the US has to use the paper system.
That still doesn't make sense though.
Perhaps it's following the FAA's inability to see a 2lb toy as anything but an airplane.
Maybe they want you to fill out the same paperwork as United has to to register a 747 for overseas use??
I'm sure your closer to right than the other answers. I'm going to Mexico on Feb. 21. Do you think I can get an airworthiness certificate for my P3 by then?

Nor did I say it was an offense. I've had several things confiscated from my bags right in front of me when returning to the US from overseas. Nothing was an offense, no fine nor citation, but US customs will confiscate items that are not allowed in the US.
With the experiences I've had going through customs, I just can't imagine them allowing an item that the law requires to be registered, into the country on a resident's passport, if it is not registered.
Guess we will have to see. Will drones be treated like guns?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl