Dual Battery Mod

Looks good but why pay $120 for extra dji battery when multistar 5200 15.2v is $38

The one big benefit i can see here is being able to run the 3rd party non-DJI branded batteries. To run the multistar, you still gotta mod a battery or do the aircraft power mod (but, this install is more complex lets be honest). Lets say you can get this kit for $50 and then a 3rd party battery for $40. Thats not bad. Whereas, to run the multistar you have to buy a modded battery ($150 from Horizons). If you got the 3rd party non-DJI branded batteries, you wouldn't need a new battery charger either, you could use the stock DJI one.

Plus, the stock DJI battery is 4480mah, and only 365g. Thats pretty good power for the weight.

That said, wonder how much it weighs, and if the install is worth the hassle.

The one big benefit i can see here is being able to run the 3rd party non-DJI branded batteries. To run the multistar, you still gotta mod a battery or do the aircraft power mod (but, this install is more complex lets be honest). Lets say you can get this kit for $50 and then a 3rd party battery for $40. Thats not bad. Whereas, to run the multistar you have to buy a modded battery ($150 from Horizons). If you got the 3rd party non-DJI branded batteries, you wouldn't need a new battery charger either, you could use the stock DJI one.

Plus, the stock DJI battery is 4480mah, and only 365g. Thats pretty good power for the weight.

That said, wonder how much it weighs, and if the install is worth the hassle.

I had to pop the top for this in stall. One option ,you can run dji battery ,or use the added battery tray to carry a Multistar. The camera is moved forward ,so less chance of props in the video.
I will do a test run this evening. And I have a compass error now. So I will have to cal the compass.

I had to pop the top for this in stall. One option ,you can run dji battery ,or use the added battery tray to carry a Multistar. The camera is moved forward ,so less chance of props in the video.
I will do a test run this evening. And I have a compass error now. So I will have to cal the compass.
Pics max!!! Need pics :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

@dig; don't forget you can send your battery to horizon and mod it for $35 plus shipping.
Moded battery is good for the ones who don't want to mess with modding the A.C..
either way, we all know we like to mod things, anything, as long as we can mod it we are happy! Being stagnant is not our way of doing things!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Digdat0
okay here's the final product with the Venom Fly 2300s. last set of pictures :) I really appreciate all of the knowledge and information sharing from everyone on this forum.

I also found that with the direct power mod, the externals can end up charging the battery as Silverwingflinx noted earlier. But, If i get my batteries to 100%, that doesn't happen. Otherwise, I have to take down the juice on the externals just a bit. Its not as often as the battery mod though.

rcBThG0.jpg

7wEwz2L.jpg

RQyQ8cV.jpg

hcu3Z8K.jpg

4aRNuYN.jpg

Hi,

I think im not wrong, but i can see some cracks in the arms of the drone !
The arms are not able to hold so much kilograms !

OK I cant get the video I did to upload.
Not happy with the mod. I got 21 min. at 30% low battery warning. I was hoping for better.
The motors where a little hot, and it is cool out today, about 91 degrees. I mostly hovered, and when I flew at full throttle and let go of the sticks the active braking almost flipped the bird.
I will do more test, and upload pics latter.

If you are talking about the seam along the two halves, that is because he opened them to do the mods and they haven't gone back together as tightly, I don't see any cracks where the motors are.
Besides, people who do these mods are aware of the extra stress it puts on all the aspects of the p3 and are willing to take those risks and replace parts as they are needed.
I use a single multistar on the vps module which is probably heavier and definitely more out of balance.
We do these mods because we like to push things and I can say that the p3 definitely handles these mods better than imagined. To think that we are adding around a third of its weight, unbalanced and go out over 8 miles ( and more in some cases) is a sign that these guys are very well built and under normal use, care and knowledge should last a good while.

From everything I have read regarding battery mods, Ac power mods and all different combinations of externals, it seems that the multistar 5200 15.2v seems to give the most optimal time vs weight ratio.
I am getting around 32 mins from mine with main battery life at%90, and they are not broken in yet!

I looked into getting graphene batteries but I was surprised at the weight of a 1500 (which seems to be the biggest I could find for our purposes) with two of those it would surpass the weight of a single multistar5200 15.2v

OK I cant get the video I did to upload.
Not happy with the mod. I got 21 min. at 30% low battery warning. I was hoping for better.
The motors where a little hot, and it is cool out today, about 91 degrees. I mostly hovered, and when I flew at full throttle and let go of the sticks the active braking almost flipped the bird.
I will do more test, and upload pics latter.

image.jpeg
thought about doing this mod going to install this cable to main board then use a 2nd Dji battery.same as we all do with the multistar,i already have a Dji batt modded this batt is only 330gr use it same as the multistar,but it seems I only get 25 mins fly time.not very good! I really don't exspect to get great fly time with the 2 DJI batts but worth a try!

Last edited:
From everything I have read regarding battery mods, Ac power mods and all different combinations of externals, it seems that the multistar 5200 15.2v seems to give the most optimal time vs weight ratio.
I am getting around 32 mins from mine with main battery life at%90, and they are not broken in yet!

I looked into getting graphene batteries but I was surprised at the weight of a 1500 (which seems to be the biggest I could find for our purposes) with two of those it would surpass the weight of a single multistar5200 15.2v

Could you post a pic of your setup

30+ mins is amazing.

Is it a battery mod or a direct mod?
And where did you purchase your multistar?

Could you post a pic of your setup

30+ mins is amazing.

Is it a battery mod or a direct mod?
And where did you purchase your multistar?

Well post pix shortly.
Multistar 5200 15.2v from hobby king
Moded dji batteries not aircraft side.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is the picture and a video of how the battery holds by using 3m high strength velcro

fdfb9376c9e91cd04f9a62d606e66c8b_thumb.jpg

I see you are getting the same active braking ,that I am getting. It almost tips the bird over, If you let go of the sticks in a head wind it will probably flip.

Reactions: Digdat0
Yes quite a bit and that's why I don't make any sudden and abrupt speed our directional changes. I try to be as fluid as possible. Now the video was mainly to see if I could shake the battery off, I think it held on pretty good under those exaggerated movements and am Perry sure in a normal distance flight it won't budge.

I see you are getting the same active braking ,that I am getting. It almost tips the bird over, If you let go of the sticks in a head wind it will probably flip.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT